• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should we buy Resale or Developer?

HHart

Reaction score
Hi,
My husband and I have been interested in purchasing a unit at the Westin Kierland and only recently did we come across information about purchasing from a 3rd party.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons of this are. I know some threads have addressed this issue but I think I need someone to break it down in 'simpler' terms because I still have questions :confused:

Will we have any problem trading it in the StarOptions Network or converting it to StarPoints? How can I verify information with Starwood to make sure we know exactly what we're getting into?

Thanks!!

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi- 3rd party is a great way to purchase, just make sure it's a trustworthy 3rd party. I'd like to refer you to the "Hotel" threads here on TUG- you'll find alot of info. on Starwoods, do a search in the hotel forum for Starwoods.
And no- you cannot convert Starwood SVN Options into Starwoods Points for hotel on resale purchase (only thru developer purchase).
Yes, Kierland is considered 'manditory' SVN, you can make internal trades, many Starwoods are 'voluntary'- you cannot make internal trades and will need to use an external company like II.
Also read the 'Advice' section (in red strip at top of this page)and read how Starwood works in detail.

Take your time, do lots of reading- plently of good deals come up frequently.

And join, TUG- the best $15. YOU'LL SPEND ALL YEAR (you'll have access to reviews, etc). Have fun:)

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Keeping It Simple.

I need someone to break it down in 'simpler' terms because I still have questions
For a breakdown in extremely simple terms, click here.
-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here is a link to the Starwood/ Westin advice article. LINK Please read it carefully and then come back and ask any questions you'd like.

The key point in the article about starwood TS is the fact that some resorts are mandatory and some voluntary. Resale units at mandatory TS are priced much higher than units at voluntary resorts. But mandatory resorts come with the Starwood network and the ability to trade to all the other starwood resorts. Voluntary resorts allow you only to stay at that one resort. Most people don't find the ability to trade your use in your TS for hotel points to be cost effective.

Hope that helps

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi,
My husband and I have been interested in purchasing a unit at the Westin Will we have any problem trading it in the StarOptions Network or converting it to StarPoints? How can I verify information with Starwood to make sure we know exactly what we're getting into?

Thanks!!

If you buy a resale at Westin Kierland you will have exactly the same opportunity to exchange with Staroptions as any owner who bought from the developer. There are no restrictions just because you bought resale. HOWEVER, exchanging is never guaranteed - so if your primary goal is to exchange into a high demand resort every year (Maui, Harborside, or St. John) you should buy at one of those resorts, because exchanging can be difficult. Maui is pretty doable if you are flexible, Harborside is more difficult, and St. John is very, very difficult. If you plan to use your week 3 out of 4 years and occasionally try for an exchange, you will probably be happy with Kierland.

You will not be able to convert your unit to Starpoints, and that is no loss at all, because the exchange rate is very poor. For example, if I converted my 2 bdm. Maui unit to Starpoints, I couldn't even get enough points for a standard room for a week at the Westin or Sheraton Maui Hotel.

You need to do your homework....but definitely buy resale. It will save you thousands of dollars.

HHart

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks all for the advice, I've continued to read several of the articles you mentioned (it's slow at work today;)) and am understanding things much better.

It does seem that buying in a mandatory resort would be to my advantage and that Kierland could be a wise choice since we love to vacation in Scottsdale.

The inability to use StarPoints with a resale is beginning to seem inconsequential because, as mentioned above, what you get for your points doesn't really seem like a good deal.

Another question...
If we bought a premium 1 bedroom now and then bought a regular 1 bedroom in the future, would that mean we owned a "lock-off"? I'm not sure if I can buy them separately and use them together.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks all for the advice, I've continued to read several of the articles you mentioned (it's slow at work today;)) and am understanding things much better.

It does seem that buying in a mandatory resort would be to my advantage and that Kierland could be a wise choice since we love to vacation in Scottsdale.

The inability to use StarPoints with a resale is beginning to seem inconsequential because, as mentioned above, what you get for your points doesn't really seem like a good deal.

Another question...
If we bought a premium 1 bedroom now and then bought a regular 1 bedroom in the future, would that mean we owned a "lock-off"? I'm not sure if I can buy them separately and use them together.

Thanks!

Only if the contracts are structured that way when you buy the units. Otherwise, you will own 2 separate units that will have to be reserved separately, with no guarantee of them being connected. If I wanted to do this, I would definitely negotiate the terms for purchasing the 2nd unit into the first contract to get the best deal.

lostinjapan14

TUG Member
Reaction score
many Starwoods are 'voluntary'- you cannot make internal trades and will need to use an external company like II.

If you trade internally with Starwood, is there a website so you can see availability at all the Starwood resorts?

I read the sightings board and see that there are units which others can't see if they don't have starwood preference. Does this preference last until flexchange?

Thanks in advance.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you trade internally with Starwood, is there a website so you can see availability at all the Starwood resorts?

No - you have to call owner reservations and ask. Availability also depends on how many Staroptions you own - it will determine what you qualify for.

I read the sightings board and see that there are units which others can't see if they don't have starwood preference. Does this preference last until flexchange?

It lasts for about 3 days after the unit is first listed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise,

Then is it safe to assume that the bulk deposit of Westin Ka'anapali Villas will be snached up by ongoing requests when the 3 day preference is up? Is that why these units are so hard to see without Starwood preference?

current bulk deposit
I think the majority of them are probably snatched up by on-going requests and never even hit the internet.