• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should resale points get VIP benefits? (Please IGNORE the first 3 and pick among the last 6 Choices)

Should resale points qualify for VIP benefits?

• YES

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • NO

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • DON'T CARE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a VIP - YES

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • I am a VIP - NO

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • I am a VIP - DON'T CARE

• I am Not a VIP - YES

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I am not a VIP - NO

• I am not a VIP - DONT'CARE

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
There has been a lot of discussion about resale points being ineligible for VIP Benefits according to a previous directory and that such verbiage has been left out in the latest directory.
I don't really care if resale qualifies for VIP benefits but if Wyndham decides to deny such unpromised benefits, I would not be upset. I am for enforcing rules though.
It has been suggested that only a minuscule minority is vocal against such unpromised benefits enjoyed by VIP owners with resale.
So, let's see what TUGgers think about this issue. Simple YES/NO/DON'T CARE poll will give us a clue as to the size of this vocal minority.

I decided to modify it including the VIP Status of the owner. I am not able to edit the choices now. But please pick one among the last 6 choices.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Asking people where the majority do not receive a benefit, if it should be taken away from those who have it? I personally am beyond tired of this entire discussion / digression / tirade. OK... left the door wide open for the ... it's not a benefit... How come I can't find the beating a dead horse emoticon when I need it?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Duplicate (maybe original post was being edited and that's why it wasn't posting)?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
You see what I did there! Similar to a California Initiative asking voters to pass a Millionaire tax! I am betting it's not a minuscule minority as was suggested! :D

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Sandi Bo, looks like you voted while I was trying to include choices based on VIP status. Maybe that's why it didn't allow me to delete the existing choice. Do you mind changing the vote to pick among the last 6 choices? Thank you.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Asking people where the majority do not receive a benefit, if it should be taken away from those who have it? I personally am beyond tired of this entire discussion / digression / tirade. OK... left the door wide open for the ... it's not a benefit... How come I can't find the beating a dead horse emoticon when I need it?

Looks like the majority of NON-VIPs DONT' CARE or say YES. Well, what do you know? They are obviously not California Voters!:)

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the VIPs voting no identify themselves. SNA27 you might vote no today but wait until your boys have families & say dad we need more points.lol. Then we’ll see if you still think that if you buy resale it should create 2 membership numbers
My money is some non VIPs are voting as I am a VIP- No.

This will be such an inaccurate poll.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would love to see the VIPs voting no identify themselves. SNA27 you might vote no today but wait until your boys have a family & say dad we need more points.lol

Why would a NON-VIP vote as 'I am a VIP - NO'?
The results so far with NON-VIPs voting YES or DON'T CARE should dampen your cynicism and restore your faith in people.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
They want to try & show that VIPs are against resale points receiving VIP benefits.
I do believe Dom would do that among a couple of others

Currently half of the VIPs say No & the only No votes are from VIPs. I’m not buying that

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the VIPs voting no identify themselves. SNA27 you might vote no today but wait until your boys have families & say dad we need more points.lol. Then we’ll see if you still think that if you buy resale it should create 2 membership numbers

(n) I see it to be very ironic that while you are hiding behind a screen name you want the identities shown of those voting VIP No. (n)

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
(n) I see it to be very ironic that while you are hiding behind a screen name you want the identities shown of those voting VIP No. (n)

This is how you keep the conflict going. Enough of this :poop:!

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They want to try & show that VIPs are against resale points receiving VIP benefits.

Currently half of the VIPs say No & the only No votes are from VIPs. I’m not buying that

Who are 'THEY'? Why is it so important to THEM to skew the results one way or the other in a silly online 'idle curiosity' poll which means diddlysquat? Are they Russian or Ukrainian? :D

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Let the votes be counted. Quit throwing :poop:to influence this poll. No quid pro quo on this thread.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Why do you say @dgalati would do that? Based on watching this poll, I assumed @dgalati voted NON-VIP - DON'T CARE. or NON-VIP YES. Only just now, I see 1 vote for NON-VIP - NO.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I'm resale and I vote no. It drives up the maintenance fees for everyone else when a VIP gets a discount on more than the points of their retail purchase. Worldmark has lower maintenance fees BECAUSE they don't have a VIP program. I think people who pay retail should get all the benefits that they do get, just on the number of eligible points. Only the people who do rentals use discounts on more than 1,000,000 points anyways.

If I were ever to be VIPP, I would use this loophole to generate income to get back my purchase price, but it isn't how I would prefer the system to be. I would rather have a lower purchase price with unlimited guest certificates for a small list of my friends and family and not have the ability to rent out my points and use guest certificates for people I don't actually know (kind of like how the RCI rules are).

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like what @cbyrne1174 did. She voted and explained why she voted that way. Perhaps everyone should do that.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I'm resale and I vote no. It drives up the maintenance fees for everyone else when a VIP gets a discount on more than the points of their retail purchase. Worldmark has lower maintenance fees BECAUSE they don't have a VIP program. I think people who pay retail should get all the benefits that they do get, just on the number of eligible points. Only the people who do rentals use discounts on more than 1,000,000 points anyways.

If I were ever to be VIPP, I would use this loophole to generate income to get back my purchase price, but it isn't how I would prefer the system to be. I would rather have a lower purchase price with unlimited guest certificates for a small list of my friends and family and not have the ability to rent out my points and use guest certificates for people I don't actually know (kind of like how the RCI rules are).

This isn't correct. Maintenance fees have nothing to do with VIP benefits! Wyndham covers the cost of the VIP benefits not the resorts. The VIP benefits are another reason VIP owners pay a higher program fee than resale owners pay. The program fees go to Wyndham and the maintenance fees go to the resorts where we own.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I am taking my Uncles VIP ownership over I voted I am a VIP - NO.
No explanation is needed why I voted this way.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

One membership - 2 accounts for now. More in the future but lay the framework with 2 to start with. It's so easy and you will love it once you open yourself to embrace it! :)
I give you my VERBAL assurance that we will allow transfers for very, very special customers like you if you buy in today! Haha! ;)

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
This isn't correct. Maintenance fees have nothing to do with VIP benefits! Wyndham covers the cost of the VIP benefits not the resorts. The VIP benefits are another reason VIP owners pay a higher program fee than resale owners pay. The program fees go to Wyndham and the maintenance fees go to the resorts where we own.

It does passively. Let's say MF are exactly like the Worldmark system where all the points are part of a trust and not a deed. If I want to go to Bonnet Creek for a week in March, it's going to cost me 224,000 points CWA points ($6.92x 224 = $1,550) for my 2 bedroom unit. It will only cost you 112,000 CWA points ($775) since it's 60 days out and you're VIPP. The same unit in the same week is being occupied, but I contributed twice the maintenance fee $$ amount for the same room.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not to go off topic but Worldmark has no VIP program so why are their maintenance fees so much lower?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only the people who do rentals use discounts on more than 1,000,000 points anyways.
I currently have reservations using over 5mil points for family vacations. My sons family is going to the beach this summer using 820k points on one reservation.
Should Wyndham require me to have 2 memberships??
Notice- Upgrade opted out January 8th
68CD6E1A-2651-4861-BFCF-9B4ABC6B3904.png

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I am not able to follow how the program fee pays for VIP benefits. Does Wyndham compensate the Resort for the 50% discount or the upgrade? In what manner do they do that? Some type of internal credits?
For example, my son's TRYP reservation showed the price as $645. I paid only $199. The difference of $446 must be accounted for by interdepartmental transfers.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
It does passively. Let's say MF are exactly like the Worldmark system where all the points are part of a trust and not a deed. If I want to go to Bonnet Creek for a week in March, it's going to cost me 224,000 points CWA points ($6.92x 224 = $1,550) for my 2 bedroom unit. It will only cost you 112,000 CWA points ($775) since it's 60 days out and you're VIPP. The same unit in the same week is being occupied, but I contributed twice the maintenance fee $$ amount for the same room.

This as been gone over repeatedly. Wyndham and Worldmark are set up differently and shouldn't be used for comparison purposes in anything more than generalities.

Again Wyndham not the resorts bears the expense of those points when discounts are given whether they are VIP discounted point reservations or discounts any owner can receive at times.. You are one of the many people who recently got discounted point reservations at Bonnet Creek and have gotten them at other resorts also.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I did not cast a vote in this one because I believe it is based on an improper view that VIP benefits are quasi-contractually related to the origin of one's Wyndham points. I believe a better paradigm to follow is that VIP benefits and the system they operate under are intended and communicated by Wyndham as being nothing more than incentives to motivate customers to purchase retail points. As such, IHMHO they should be adjusted by Wyndham to accomplish that goal. There is something to be said for allowing resale points (better termed non-developer-purchased points) to be eligible for the benefits because it could motivate resale customers to purchase retail points (see, e.g., @Braindead, IIRC).

I also believe that the VIP benefits should not be changed arbitrarily and capriciously because the customers make long-term commitments on them when they purchase. I'm sure that Wyndham takes this into account in deciding whether to modify them. The current status is that resale points are eligible for VIP benefits. Any change to that status will upset current customers, who will complain (and rightfully so); this could act as an incentive to other potential customers that are resale point owners not to seek VIP status by buying retail points. This market segment is no doubt a relatively small one, but the cost of continuing the status quo is probably also low.

I am VIPG with Wyndham and do not own any resale points at present. I've examined the relative costs and benefits and chosen to acquire resale WorldMark points instead, but may add some resale Wyndham points in the future if presented with a low-MF opportunity. I try to approach this type of question perhaps a bit too much on the logical, rational side, but I don't see anything that would give me any degree of pleasure (e.g., schadenfreude) if they were to be more restrictive. I also don't think there is much of a change in the MF cost because they probably budget the VIP benefits, which really act to balance the prices for low-usage weeks after all, at the program level.