• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should parents put children on joint account to protect assets from Medicaid?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue on hand is that the parents intend to make use of Medicaid. Living in a Medicaid nursing home in the last few years of life is the pits. If the intention is passing money onto children where Medicaid does not come into play, then it is better to leave the parents names in the accounts. The cost basis of any investments is stepped up to the date of when the parents pass away.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the Government would ever figure out my accounts. They have been JRWROS with my kids and ex-wife for over 20 years. Dollars go in. Dollars go out. Which deposits would be considered gifts? How about the withdrawals? If they were used for the benefit of my kids and/or ex-wife, would they be consider a return of the phantom gift. This is nuts...

George

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you put your money in a joint account with your children and your children are the ones who end up needing Medicaid, all that money will be considered your child's for their care. Plus if they have financial problems or a divorce that money can be in jeopardy too.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If you put your money in a joint account with your children and your children are the ones who end up needing Medicaid, all that money will be considered your child's for their care. Plus if they have financial problems or a divorce that money can be in jeopardy too.
Or if your child is sued for some reason, lawyers could go after all joint assets. That alone would make me pause before doing anything like this.

Kurt

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The 5 year look-back period is key. You can not give your children money so that you can qualify for medicaid. The money given to them within the past 5 years creates a penalty for the parents, so that they cannot receive medicaid for a specific time or amount.

Reaction score
The best option is (and has been discussed elsewhere) a long-term nursing care insurance plan. I do not sell them, nor do I know much about them, but in theory, they will help protect the parent(s) from having to liquidate assets if they need to be placed in a nursing home. As others have said, going on Medicaid in a nursing home is not the best option. Forget the stuff about being "wards of the state", just know that they may get lesser care than someone on LTC. I mean, LTC pays the nursing home what the nursing home needs, while Medicaid pays what they think they should be paid.

TS

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't mix up IRS rules and Medicaid Rules. The article suggests doing something that may not be smart medicaid planning.

The Internal Revenue Code allows a transfer of $15K per person to be made each year without having any Gift Tax implications. So two parents can transfer $60K to 2 children ($15 K per parent to each of the 2 children) with no gift tax issues.

Medicaid transfers are totally different and have nothing to do with gift tax. In New York at least, joint accounts can affect Medicaid eligibility. When a person applies for Medicaid long-term care coverage, the state looks at the applicant's assets to see if the applicant qualifies for assistance. While a joint account may have two names on it, most states assume the applicant owns the entire amount in the account regardless of who contributed money to the account. If your name is on a joint account and you enter a nursing home, the state will assume the assets in the account belong to you unless you can prove that you did not contribute to it. The eligibility rules for home health care (as opposed to nursing home) are often different.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The best option is (and has been discussed elsewhere) a long-term nursing care insurance plan. I do not sell them, nor do I know much about them, but in theory, they will help protect the parent(s) from having to liquidate assets if they need to be placed in a nursing home. As others have said, going on Medicaid in a nursing home is not the best option. Forget the stuff about being "wards of the state", just know that they may get lesser care than someone on LTC. I mean, LTC pays the nursing home what the nursing home needs, while Medicaid pays what they think they should be paid.

TS
My dad was in a nursing home. I can say whether Medicaid, LTC or self paid everyone got the same care.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't mix up IRS rules and Medicaid Rules. The article suggests doing something that may not be smart medicaid planning.

The Internal Revenue Code allows a transfer of $15K per person to be made each year without having any Gift Tax implications. So two parents can transfer $60K to 2 children ($15 K per parent to each of the 2 children) with no gift tax issues.

Medicaid transfers are totally different and have nothing to do with gift tax. In New York at least, joint accounts can affect Medicaid eligibility. When a person applies for Medicaid long-term care coverage, the state looks at the applicant's assets to see if the applicant qualifies for assistance. While a joint account may have two names on it, most states assume the applicant owns the entire amount in the account regardless of who contributed money to the account. If your name is on a joint account and you enter a nursing home, the state will assume the assets in the account belong to you unless you can prove that you did not contribute to it. The eligibility rules for home health care (as opposed to nursing home) are often different.
In NY for Medicaid, I don’t know about other states, if you gave the 15k gift, the state considers that in the equation, 5 years back, as money you need to pay down in a nursing home prior to getting Medicaid to pay for it.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
In NY for Medicaid, I don’t know about other states, if you gave the 15k gift, the state considers that in the equation, 5 years back, as money you need to pay down in a nursing home prior to getting Medicaid to pay for it.

Your are correct Panina: A gift made more than 5 years ago no longer affects medicaid eligibility in NYS under the current rules. But a joint account is different, because that remains an asset of the applicant.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your are correct Panina: A gift made more than 5 years ago no longer affects medicaid eligibility in NYS under the current rules. But a joint account is different, because that remains an asset of the applicant.
Yes correct, A joint account in NYS is always assumed to be the applicants assets 100% for Medicaid.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or if your child is sued for some reason, lawyers could go after all joint assets. That alone would make me pause before doing anything like this.

I try to protect from this in two ways. First, one Account in JTWROS with Son, another with Daughter and the third with my Ex-Wife. Second, when any of the accounts start getting too large, I spend them down using most of the money for the benefit of my Co-Owner...

George

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
People seeking such method to have Medicaid pick up the tab is wrong anyway. That is hiding money so that taxpayers will pick up the tab.
Understand that I don't agree with doing this but my understanding is that it is exactly what many Financial Planners advise...

George

Brett

Reaction score
My dad was in a nursing home. I can say whether Medicaid, LTC or self paid everyone got the same care.

My mother is currently in a nursing home and my wife once worked part-time for different nursing homes - some very high-end facilities and others that only accepted Medicaid recipients.
Everyone didn't get the same care, Big difference in physical arrangements, dining, community activities and hands-on physical and nursing assistance.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My mother is currently in a nursing home and my wife once worked part-time for different nursing homes - some very high-end facilities and others that only accepted Medicaid recipients.
Everyone didn't get the same care, Big difference in physical arrangements, dining, community activities and hands-on physical and nursing assistance.
My dad was in a higher end one and some beds were Medicaid, all people in the facility were treated the same.

If one facility is private only and another Medicaid only I can understand the difference.

I know when I visited all the nursing homes there was a tremendous difference between them.

Brett

Reaction score
My dad was in a higher end one and some beds were Medicaid, all people in the facility were treated the same.

If one facility is private only and another Medicaid only I can understand the difference.

I know when I visited all the nursing homes there was a tremendous difference between them.

We never saw that (High-end assisted living facility with medicaid recipients )
but I suppose it depends on each state's eligibility requirements and how much they reimburse the facility