• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I rescind?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, of the long list of resorts in the US Collection, most are affiliates and are extremely difficult to book. I've put in searches for any size unit for any length of stay at any time in the next year and found nothing at some of the resorts in the US Collection.

This is what happens when companies pick up affiliates not to truly grow the system or expand options for members, but to be able to brag about dots on the map.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, an update. Diamond got my rescission letter and I just got off an hour long call with them trying to talk me out of rescinding. A couple points that he made:

- Unlike what the salesman in Florida told me, you can't just pay $3K to get into THE Club if you buy resale. He said to get into the THE Club after purchasing from resale, you have to buy 50% more points at the normal retail price.

- I mentioned that I didn't want to potentially saddle my heirs with the maintenance fees, and he claimed that as long as I don't list it in my will or trust that wouldn't happen. That seems to be contrary to some of the stories I've read, but maybe in those cases it was actually willed to them?

Yeah, and that was his strongest pitch (and the reason why I initially decided to do the Diamond deal). He said I'm not really going to be able to get rid of the MGV, so why keep paying MFs on it when I can change to Diamond and actually start making use of it.

On the flipside he didn't really have an answer for my question about what happens if in 10 years, for whatever reason, I can no longer make use of my timeshare? Since he made the resale market sound so unattractive (you have to buy an additional 50% of points at retail to get into THE Club, and he made compelling arguments of why you really want/need THE Club) how would I get out of paying those yearly MFs? His only answer was "If you don't care about your credit rating you can just default." And I said, "Yeah, but I *do* care about my credit rating!" To which he didn't really have an answer.

While I didn't specifically ask him about this, a comment he made may potentially shed light on this. He said that what I currently own is only at Riviera Shores Resort and I don't have access to the other MGV properties.

Firstly, you can put your timeshare in your will. You heirs can accept it, or refuse it. Salesmen are trained to come up with responses that knock down barriers to the deal, whether they are true or not.

Secondly, why would you pay $15K for a DRI ownership that will be difficult to get rid of, just to unload the Monarch ownership that is difficlult to get rid of?