• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I pay this electrician?

22go

Reaction score
Last week, I had an electrician come to give me an estimate on outdoor lighting. While he was here, I asked if he did indoor lighting and he said yes. He quickly looked at the issue and asked to have the circuit shut off. At that point I said - before we go any further what will I owe you. He said $75. I said $75 if you get the lights to work and he said yes.
45 minutes later he could not fix the problem and said it must be the switch. He wanted to be paid the $75 for trouble shooting. I said I would pay him after I purchased a new switch and the lights worked. He left and the new switch did not fix the problem.
I will now have to hire another electrician but the question is - do I pay the first electrician?
Thanks!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week, I had an electrician come to give me an estimate on outdoor lighting. While he was here, I asked if he did indoor lighting and he said yes. He quickly looked at the issue and asked to have the circuit shut off. At that point I said - before we go any further what will I owe you. He said $75. I said $75 if you get the lights to work and he said yes.
45 minutes later he could not fix the problem and said it must be the switch. He wanted to be paid the $75 for trouble shooting. I said I would pay him after I purchased a new switch and the lights worked. He left and the new switch did not fix the problem.
I will now have to hire another electrician but the question is - do I pay the first electrician?
Thanks!
The man invested nearly an hour of his professional time. Although he did not successfully diagnose or repair your problem, you owe him $75. He’s not running a charity.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Why are you not having the first electrician come back and complete the repair? He's already invested time and thought on your problem.

Even if you don't want to hire him again, I would pay him the $75. He did look into the problem, he did come up with a theory about why it wasn't working. The next electrician will have a running start because one solution has already been eliminated.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
It’s not fixed
I do service
I would never expect to be paid for something I didn’t fix, it wasn’t either problem he said it was
Since he was on an estimate anyway he didn’t waste a trip , just a little time.

If he was called out to diagnose the problem his time is money, I get it.
His diagnoses was wrong ‍♂️

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
None of us were party to the discussion or how it evolved. I would say go with what you believe to be the fair and honest thing to do.

22go

Reaction score
Why are you not having the first electrician come back and complete the repair? He's already invested time and thought on your problem.

Even if you don't want to hire him again, I would pay him the $75. He did look into the problem, he did come up with a theory about why it wasn't working. The next electrician will have a running start because one solution has already been eliminated.
I emailed him the same day and said that the new switch did not fix the problem, so that was not the problem. I have not heard from him since (a week ago).

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I emailed him the same day and said that the new switch did not fix the problem, so that was not the problem. I have not heard from him since (a week ago).

If you installed the switch that could be the problem. To the electrician you are now a dead beat. Why would he call you ?

Bill

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
People go to doctors with problems all the time and pay them for their time/services, sometimes the doctor is not correct in diagnosis the first go round. It's process of elimination

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If he did not get it working and that was what you agreed to pay for then you owe nothing and he should expect nothing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't pay him. Then he can file a Workman's Lien against you. Then this $75 (plus late charges and interest) can hold up your ability to sell your house.

Is $75 worth it?

Jim

22go

Reaction score
If you installed the switch that could be the problem. To the electrician you are now a dead beat. Why would he call you ?

Bill
He did not have a switch on his truck so I had to buy one . We agreed to this and I said that I would let him know if it worked.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't pay him. Then he can file a Workman's Lien against you. Then this $75 (plus late charges and interest) can hold up your ability to sell your house.

Is $75 worth it?

Jim
A good way to lose future business. I would tell him do not worry about the quote.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
He did not have a switch on his truck so I had to buy one . We agreed to this and I said that I would let him know if it worked.

Often times when there is no power the reset on a gfi plug needs attention. Maybe check your gfi's by re-seting them all. That will be $75 please, lol.

Bill

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, a whole bank of my kitchen lights went out recently. My husband was confident it was the switch but we didn't have one and he doesn't get around too well (and I refuse to do anything associated with electricity!) so, I called an electrician. He came, fipped the circuit breaker (no effect) and checked out the switch. It was the switch but, he deidn't have one so he had to go to the (nearby) Lowes to get one. He installed it. The lights worked and he left with $150. My question is, where do you find an electrician for $75??!!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My question is, where do you find an electrician for $75??!!

It helped that he was there already for something else, and didn't have to drive.
Another question: Why post all in bold when we can read fine without?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
If I told someone that I can fix something and it will cost $75, either it is fixed and I expect to be paid. Or it isn't fixed and I don't expect to be paid.

Although, considering people these days, I'd get that in writing -- doesn't matter which side of the transaction I'm on. Otherwise it's my word against theirs.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Pay the man. he gave you a free estimate, and he attempted to fix your light. Plus free time and trouble.
PS it is either the light fixture, switch or a mouse ate the wires.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I told someone that I can fix something and it will cost $75, either it is fixed and I expect to be paid. Or it isn't fixed and I don't expect to be paid.

Although, considering people these days, I'd get that in writing -- doesn't matter which side of the transaction I'm on. Otherwise it's my word against theirs.
Common ground. $75 or $150 seem like a lot for me and glad I am not paying those crazy prices for simple jobs.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At this point, unless he sends an invoice or bill, I say do nothing. He isn't returning calls so don't worry about it, he has probably moved on. But if you get a bill, just pay it and be done with it.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Thanks!
To me the key point is: "I said $75 if you get the lights to work and he said yes."

He agreed to those conditions.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have a contract with him (verbal). He will either send you an invoice or he won't. I wouldn't chase him down to pay it. If he calls you back, then have an honest conversation and make sure you are both in agreement. FWIW, my guess is that he doesn't want to do business with you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Is $75 worth it?

Jim
Not necessarily. Must be notified in signed work contract up-front and they only have limied time (approx 20 days) past work date to file. (At least per Calif law)

Bottom line: Likely will not bother for $75. And there doesn't appear to be a signed contract.

Last edited: