• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I cancel move from Marriott vacation club to Vidanta.

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
I was visiting Nuevo Vallarta Vidanta and was given the following deal:

Upgrade (edited to say downgraded) from Marriott Vacation Club which had 7100 points to Vidanta partial deal for $45000 + signing over my Marriottt Vacation club timeshare to Vidanta. It gives me 2 weeks of Vidanta and 2 weeks of international weeks. The two weeks of vidanta cause 1500$ each if used else cause nothing. I get 2 additional weeks that are available at 700 dollars for international exchange which they claim will get me 13 month early access to Marriott properties. I could not find this written anywhere in the deal.

Should I call and rescind?

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Absolutely. The Marriott actually has some value, the Vidanta not so much. You could rent out your Marriott week/points and then use cash to rent a week at Vidanta. And if it's not written in the contract, it doesn't exist.
I'll let the Vidanta owners/experts chime in, but since time is of the essence....rescind now.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are really an easy target. Rescind ASAP else you will regret it for a long time..

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
It says rescind can only be done by going back to the original place where I signed it or sending a registered mail. Is going back recommended?

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Absolutely not! Send the registered mail. Save yourself $45k. Vidanta is a STRICTLY by the written word company. If it's not in the contract it doesn't exist. Plus Vidanta sales rarely sell what's currently available. They sell what's in long-term development.

Add to that you will probably still own the Marriott that you own now. It's a smoke-and-mirrors tactic to make you think they are giving you something for what you own. Really it's just a discount they would have given you if you didn't tell them about the Marriott and negotiated harder.

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
Absolutely not! Send the registered mail. Save yourself $45k. Vidanta is a STRICTLY by the written word company. If it's not in the contract it doesn't exist. Plus Vidanta sales rarely sell what's currently available. They sell what's in long-term development.

Add to that you will probably still own the Marriott that you own now. It's a smoke-and-mirrors tactic to make you think they are giving you something for what you own. Really it's just a discount they would have given you if you didn't tell them about the Marriott and negotiated harder.
rboesl,

Thanks for the recommendation. The exact wording they have is the following:

"Member has the right to cancel this contract within 5 business days from the date member signed this contract (for purposes of this clause Sunday is the only non business day) by doing one of the following - 1) returning all documentation to the member services representative at the resort where the contract was signed and obtaining a signed receipt therefore within 5 business days from the date member signed this contract: or, 2) By sending a written notice by certified or registered mail with return receipt requested, or any other reliable means (notorized or judicial notice), within the aforementioned 5 business days, to the company's contact center located at Paseo de la Marina Sur # 220, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, 48335, Mexico."

I intend to send them via DHL with signing required. Is this the best way. I am also planning on calling my credit card numbers and letting them know that this has happened and I intend to cancel the contract. Does that sound reasonable? Anything else that I should also do at this point of time?
Is there a template on what I should send in the written notice?

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Omg, that’s horrendous. First, did you really sign over the Marriott points? You prob still own them along with a 45K Vidanta.

If I can help you here. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER go to another timeshare owners update or sales pitch.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
rboesl,

Thanks for the recommendation. The exact wording they have is the following:

"Member has the right to cancel this contract within 5 business days from the date member signed this contract (for purposes of this clause Sunday is the only non business day) by doing one of the following - 1) returning all documentation to the member services representative at the resort where the contract was signed and obtaining a signed receipt therefore within 5 business days from the date member signed this contract: or, 2) By sending a written notice by certified or registered mail with return receipt requested, or any other reliable means (notorized or judicial notice), within the aforementioned 5 business days, to the company's contact center located at Paseo de la Marina Sur # 220, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, 48335, Mexico."

I intend to send them via DHL with signing required. Is this the best way. I am also planning on calling my credit card numbers and letting them know that this has happened and I intend to cancel the contract. Does that sound reasonable? Anything else that I should also do at this point of time?
Is there a template on what I should send in the written notice?
Is DHL considered certified registered mail? Send it USPS, DHL, UPS, FEDEX and any other way you can. What a mistake! Make sure you get out of it

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
Omg, that’s horrendous. First, did you really sign over the Marriott points? You prob still own them along with a 45K Vidanta.

If I can help you here. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER go to another timeshare owners update or sales pitch.
Hi CPNY,

Learnt the lesson. I have bought Marriott before and while it was a bad investment, I was able to get value out of it by regular use. There properties in Hawaii gave me enough mileage to justify the fees plus a bit more. After a grueling multiple hours with the Vidanta team it feels that I just simply gave up. I intend to get out of it. I signed the contract today and tomorrow I intend to send them a certified letter indicating my right to cancel the contract. The question is based on past experience is there anything else I should be doing?

Since I am in Mexico I can't do USPS. I will look for Mexican post office.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are still in Mexico then be sure to send it via REGISTERED MAIL via the Mexican Postal Service immediately.

SAVE your Postmarked Receipt.

Good move to rescind.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you literally just threw away 45,000 dollars and your marriott timeshare!

could not suggest rescinding more!

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vidanta sales team is VERY good at wearing people down during their "complimentary" presentation, so don't feel too bad, @easytarget. It's great that you figured out it was a bad deal for you before it was too late to rescind. Since you're already starting the rescission process, finish it ASAP, send it in, and keep verification you did it to the T. You've only lost some time, and you now have an interesting exerience you can share with others!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem with any of these "trade in" deals is that they are really giving you $0 for what you are trading in. They make it look on paper like they are giving you come value, but you could have got the same deal without giving them your Marriott points

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
How could you even do this? Marriott would take them via ROFR, right?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How could you even do this? Marriott would take them via ROFR, right?
They could. Generally with these "trade ins" Vidanta has a company that just lists them for sale (perhap on Ebay or elsewhere). Then it is a buyer/seller transaction. Vidanta never takes the timeshare week or points into their name. There is also the chance that a few weeks down the line, the OP would get a call from said company asking if they would rather just keep the points by paying some money or could just keep it for free (they often do this with trade ins that have negative value). Many people also find that they still own the timeshare years later. Thus why they never give any actual "real" value to the trade in. It is all smoke and mirrors to make you look like you are getting something. Kind of like when you trade in a used car.

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
I have sent it via FedEx next day delivery with confirmation. I am also planning on talking to a Notary / Attorney tomorrow. They should have it tomorrow. As recommended I am going to go to the post office tomorrow.

If I am reading it right, if they get a proper letter of recension they will honor it. Will I need to go to an attorney or notary if I send them a letter of recension in time?

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@easytarget
I am glad you found us and asked.

That was truly a terrible deal. If at some point, you no longer want your Marriott points, you can sell them. You won't get what you paid, but they do have value.

Vidanta sales people wear down the buyers. Never go to another timeshare presentation. Just say "no, not interested". Repeat. Walk away.

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
@easytarget
I am glad you found us and asked.

That was truly a terrible deal. If at some point, you no longer want your Marriott points, you can sell them. You won't get what you paid, but they do have value.

Vidanta sales people wear down the buyers. Never go to another timeshare presentation. Just say "no, not interested". Repeat. Walk away.
Huds hut. That is why intend to do. I will also post a full cautionary tale for everyone with details once I am out of this shit.

In the meantime if someone could confirm that FedEx and then Mexican postal service sending would be enough? I have 2 more days in Mexico. Ideally I would like to get some semblance of a vacation now. If these are not enough I will go see an attorney tomorrow.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Huds hut. That is why intend to do. I will also post a full cautionary tale for everyone with details once I am out of this shit.

In the meantime if someone could confirm that FedEx and then Mexican postal service sending would be enough? I have 2 more days in Mexico. Ideally I would like to get some semblance of a vacation now. If these are not enough I will go see an attorney tomorrow.
Was email an option in the contract? I suspect your contract is 100% in Spanish? There may be an office located at Vidanta where you can go in and cancel (not in sales). I suggest posting your question in the Mexico forum for more specific advice. The postal service in Mexico is not really all that reliable. A lost day of vacation is nothing to lost $45,0000 and potential of years of payments.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@easytarget, there are many people who come to TUG to ask about canceling a Vidanta contract. Here’s someone who posted recently -

If you kept receipts that you mailed everything back, you should be fine. Now go out there and enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have sent it via FedEx next day delivery with confirmation. I am also planning on talking to a Notary / Attorney tomorrow. They should have it tomorrow. As recommended I am going to go to the post office tomorrow.

If I am reading it right, if they get a proper letter of recension they will honor it. Will I need to go to an attorney or notary if I send them a letter of recension in time?
Remember, you are operating under Mexican law regarding rescission rights of the consumer. They were amended a few years ago because the US Embassy in Mexico City lobbied to give US citizens (and all foreigners) some additional protection heretofore not at all favorable. Fortunately there are 5 days in which to do this. Because this is a sizeable purchase and you wish to cancel - and to ensure your rights are indeed protected, I strongly suggest you call the US Consulate in Nuevo Vallarta immediately:

United States Consular Agency PV
Paradise Village Shopping Center
Paseo de los Cocoteros #85 Sur, 2nd Floor L-7
Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico 63732
(322) 222-0069

They will give you a list of attorneys licensed in Mexico that can help you. You are not the first nor will be the last to succumb to the temptation of exchanging your current holdings for a highly inflated Vidanta property. Vidanta properties are indeed very nice indeed but nowhere worth what they say they are. In addition, research owning TS in Mexico. Personally, I enjoyed every property I ever visited there, even when I lived in Mexico, but unlike the US, unless you live on premises, owning a property in Mexico, even if there is no deed, has certain precautions. Good luck.....

easytarget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
Current Status:

I was able to get into their member services office and they canceled the contract as we were within the 5 days (we were there on day 3 and requested cancellation on day 1). They offered 2 other options which we declined, and they asked us to sign a cancellation request there and gave us a cancellation letter on the property.

@Arusso my biggest worry (after signing the contract - hindsight and all) was (a little bit still is) that it is Mexico and not US so laws might be favoring the locals as opposed to me. I was told that this being long weekend and that I should get the refund on my credit later next week. Once I get that refund I will breath easier.

Thanks to all that tried to help. It is very appreciated.