• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I buy another timeshare or can someone talk me out of this??

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price is right ... it's oceanfront ... season I'll use ... will no longer need to exchange ...

The only downside I can think of is the rising maintenance fees. What would you do?:ponder:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go ahead. Make 2 people happy. You and the seller. :)

Jim

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price is right ... it's oceanfront ... season I'll use ... will no longer need to exchange ...

The only downside I can think of is the rising maintenance fees. What would you do?:ponder:

Need more info. Due diligence. Who controls the HOA? What is the history on MF and SA. What does the resale market look like for that TS? How much would you have to pay to rent the property instead? Can you rent it out if you do not wish to use it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Resort?
Season?
Price?
Maintenance fee?
Resale or developer?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like it and you can afford it and you will use it...why not???

LeBorET

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you don't like to buy right now...

offer the seller option to rent it by paying maintenance fee plus (possible) fee that resort may charge if owner let use his week to you and, may be, some extra.

with possibility that you may resume talk to purchase this week later

in this case you'd enjoy stay in this week in this resort possible this, next and etc years without any obligations and also owner could keep this week (he praboble pays more money then he selling it for) with the chance that timeshare marked will be reboud

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need more info. Due diligence.

Who controls the HOA? Developer controlled
What is the history on MF and SA. No special assessments; stable mf
What does the resale market look like for that TS? Better than average based on location
How much would you have to pay to rent the property instead? about 2x mf
Can you rent it out if you do not wish to use it?I have never rented before, but it is a desirable location and unit

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Who controls the HOA? Developer controlled
What is the history on MF and SA. No special assessments; stable mf
What does the resale market look like for that TS? Better than average based on location
How much would you have to pay to rent the property instead? about 2x mf
Can you rent it out if you do not wish to use it?I have never rented before, but it is a desirable location and unit

Based on this - I don't have a clue. :D If you really want an educated response, you must be much more specific.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Based on this - I don't have a clue. :D If you really want an educated response, you must be much more specific.

Agreed. What resort, who is the developer, is this an E-Bay sale, what is the fixed week number, price, etc.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort? Beachfront Marriott, HHI
Season? Gold [spring/fall]
Price? $3,500, including that expensive SC closing:mad:
Maintenance fee? about $1,100
Resale or developer?Resale, of course:)

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was answering questions in the order that they were asked. See my response below to your questions. Thx for your fast input!:)

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gold Marriotts trade really well - only drawback if you wanted to t urn this into a trader is that it is not a lockoff. Howeverm I say go for it; life is short. Marriott has some beautiful units. Funtime

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gold Marriotts trade really well - only drawback if you wanted to t urn this into a trader is that it is not a lockoff. Howeverm I say go for it; life is short. Marriott has some beautiful units. Funtime

Thanks, Funtime ... that's how I'm looking at it. Buying to use not to trade, so the lockoff doesn't matter to me.

I should also add that I've been exchanging into the platinum season at this resort for about the last 5 years, but never to an oceanfront unit. That's my dilemma if there is one ... is it worth it to buy the view I prefer? In the scheme of things, it seems like a fairly low buy-in cost for an oceanfront Marriott. Anyone have an opinion on cost?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not gonna talk you out of it.

I would if I wanted a summer week, but I found that I prefer the spring/fall season.

Gotta love an oceanfront unit guaranteed. I agree, Spring and Fall are fantastic times to be on Hilton Head. There's a few Tuggers that do love their Hilton Head Gold Season Oceanfront ownerships and they always do well on eBay auctions. Now that it's known what resort you are speaking about, maybe this thread needs to go to the Marriott forum for more input. This sounds like a good deal just from what I have read regarding these Hilton Head Gold Season oceanfront ownerships.

I just entered the Marriott world by buying a Hilton Head fixed week 36. I bought resale at a price I could not ignore. That week is a great time to be on Hilton Head for me. It is in an area of the island that I love. The maintenance fees are indeed higher than I usually would consider in an ownership......but I've got to find out what all this love is for Marriott quality. I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. If it's not all that then I bought it at a price I can absolutely get back out of it. My unit is not Oceanfront, but I can live with that.

GO FOR IT!!!! :cheer:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your thoughts. I honestly thought you would all say "why buy if you can trade in?" I guess it's time to give this more serious consideration. I'll let you all know if I decide to follow through.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotta love an oceanfront unit guaranteed. I agree, Spring and Fall are fantastic times to be on Hilton Head. There's a few Tuggers that do love their Hilton Head Gold Season Oceanfront ownerships and they always do well on eBay auctions. Now that it's known what resort you are speaking about, maybe this thread needs to go to the Marriott forum for more input. This sounds like a good deal just from what I have read regarding these Hilton Head Gold Season oceanfront ownerships.

I just entered the Marriott world by buying a Hilton Head fixed week 36. I bought resale at a price I could not ignore. That week is a great time to be on Hilton Head for me. It is in an area of the island that I love. The maintenance fees are indeed higher than I usually would consider in an ownership......but I've got to find out what all this love is for Marriott quality. I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. If it's not all that then I bought it at a price I can absolutely get back out of it. My unit is not Oceanfront, but I can live with that.

GO FOR IT!!!! :cheer:

This is exactly what I needed to hear. It just may be the push I need.:D

You're going to love your new ownership. There's just something about Marriott quality that is a notch above the others. I can honestly say that using my Marriott ownership weeks is like going to a second home. I'm always greeted warmly by the staff and the properties are really outstanding. Enjoy your new week, and thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Is it an annual Marriott gold oceanfront in Hilton Head for $3,500, all in? That's a great deal! I'd have a very hard time saying no to that one. Please let me know if you pass on it! ;)

Go for it, and keep your fingers crossed that it passes Marriott's right of first refusal.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Thanks, Funtime ... that's how I'm looking at it. Buying to use not to trade, so the lockoff doesn't matter to me.

I should also add that I've been exchanging into the platinum season at this resort for about the last 5 years, but never to an oceanfront unit. That's my dilemma if there is one ... is it worth it to buy the view I prefer? In the scheme of things, it seems like a fairly low buy-in cost for an oceanfront Marriott. Anyone have an opinion on cost?

If you don't mind me asking....what have you been using to trade into the platinum season with??? Congratulations on your purchase....in the process of picking up my first two Marriott's myself!

Jim

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort? Beachfront Marriott, HHI
Season? Gold [spring/fall]
Price? $3,500, including that expensive SC closing:mad:
Maintenance fee? about $1,100
Resale or developer?Resale, of course:)

I'm really curious as to what HHI OF gold unit you got for $3500? I know it can't be the Grande Ocean OF, so I'm assuming Monarch which only has a few OF units. Maybe Barony?

I ask because that HHI gold OF units are on my list of "buy immediately it if its a great deal", as to me they are one of the best values out there for a NE resident.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your thoughts. I honestly thought you would all say "why buy if you can trade in?" I guess it's time to give this more serious consideration. I'll let you all know if I decide to follow through.

But since you raised it, why buy when you can trade in? It is not a platinum week, so wouldnt it be an easy trade?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
But since you raised it, why buy when you can trade in? It is not a platinum week, so wouldnt it be an easy trade?

It might be an easy trade depending on the particular week - the highest-demand Gold weeks that bump up against the Memorial Day and Labor Day holidays might not be so easy, the others would be easier. The biggest reason to not rely on exchanging in, though, IMO, is if the view is important to you. (I'd guess it is for the OP, seeing as how s/he's considering an oceanfront unit.)

At least three of the Hilton Head oceanfront resorts (don't know anything about the fourth, Monarch) use the Priority Placement System that favors first owners using their own weeks and then owners exchanging back in, followed by rental/preview guests and other exchangers. At Barony and SurfWatch an exchanger is much more likely to be bumped into a gardenview unit than given the oceanside, oceanfront (Barony) or oceanvista (SW) unit that's attached to an II confirmation; I'm not sure of GO's system between the oceanfront and oceanside units there.

1st Class, I have Gold Barony and SW ocean-front/vista weeks. The other thing about the placement system at both of these resorts is that owners using their own weeks will be rotated among the units if owner occupancy is high and a lot of requests have been made. So, one year you could be placed in a high-floor "best available" oceanfront/vista unit while the next you could be rotated to a low-floor "worst available" oceanfront/vista unit. In my experience both resorts try to follow that policy and I like it, think it's fair for everyone. I've read on TUG that GO has a similar policy. The ocean/beach view is really important to us and at both resorts, we've been happy in each of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th floor units that they've placed us.

As far as the exchange value of Barony or SW Gold in II, we've done pretty good but really don't exchange out often. This year for the first time in four or five, II is offering bonus AC's for depositing these weeks. I don't know what that means other than I wondered why they stopped offering them back when they did, and it's nice to see them again. :shrug:

{eta} Sheeesh, I forgot the one point that I wanted to make here. Doh! OP, if you're thinking that you'd be using this week most often as the last Gold week in May before Plat season begins, I can tell you that it's a very difficult week to book using the 12-mos window even if you're on the computer and ready to go at 9AM sharp. I even have difficulties booking that week with the first in Plat season using the 13-mos window; most years I book some combination of three weeks - Gold/Gold/Plat - using the 13-mos window and then cancel later the first week, all to get the Gold/Plat weeks that straddle Memorial Day. I have no idea if something similar happens with the Plat/Gold Labor Day weeks or with any other Gold weeks, but just thought I'd mention the difficulty with that last-Gold-before-Plat May week. It's something to think about.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update - Marriott took my week

Just posting an update to this thread to say that Marriott took this week through ROFR, so I didn't get it. I guess I'll play the exchange game a little longer. Thanks to all who replied. Your input is greatly appreciated.