• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I buy a Hyatt Resale

SeaRay24

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for advice in purchasing a Hyatt fixed week. Most likely a property in Key West.

Here is some background information to help you guide us in our decision. I will be retiring this year and my wife will retire within the next few years. She has great flexibility in her job with taking time off. We have two children that are in college for a few more years. We live in Florida and enjoy vacationing in other parts Florida, we are not locked into taking vacations only during certain times of the year.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Hotel at Coconut Point multiple times. On one visit we were approached to return and visit the timeshare resort down the road for a few nights at a great price. During that stay we really enjoyed the comfort of an apartment style accommodation over a traditional hotel room. We didn't purchase but they offered us to return for a longer stay at another incredible price. It was way less than what we could have booked at the hotel. We just returned from that trip and had a better time than the previous time. On this visit they gave us a 2 bedroom unit. Our daughter joined us with her friend and we all had a great time. We had to sit through the presentation again but opted not to purchase (so glad we didn't, I did not do my due diligence research before attending. They were offering 450 points for around 10k. They would have been useless). Before leaving, they offered us another 4 night stay at a great price. We plan to visit Key West using this package.

I have read how Interval International has devalued the Hyatt owners points/ownership. While this is concerning, it's hard for me to be mad at something I wasn't able to take of advantage of in the past.

So I am currently in the market for a diamond week in Key West that equates to 2200 points. From my research, Maui is diamond year round. How easy is it to internal trade into Maui? Coming from Florida, a Hawaii trip would probably be once every 5 years or so.

How easy will it be to break up the points and stay at Coconut Point and Key West for 3-4 nights midweek and only pay one maintenance fee for the year?

With 2200 points, what kind of property can you get in Orlando area via Interval?

Of the 3 Hyatt Key West properties, which one is considered the nicest? Advantages from one over another?

I attempted to purchase a week at Windward Point but Hyatt exercised their ROFR.

I appreciate your advice.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I just sent you a DM with my phone number, so you are welcome to call me. I would love to share our Hyatt experience with you. I am not selling anything, haha.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for advice in purchasing a Hyatt fixed week. Most likely a property in Key West.

Here is some background information to help you guide us in our decision. I will be retiring this year and my wife will retire within the next few years. She has great flexibility in her job with taking time off. We have two children that are in college for a few more years. We live in Florida and enjoy vacationing in other parts Florida, we are not locked into taking vacations only during certain times of the year.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Hotel at Coconut Point multiple times. On one visit we were approached to return and visit the timeshare resort down the road for a few nights at a great price. During that stay we really enjoyed the comfort of an apartment style accommodation over a traditional hotel room. We didn't purchase but they offered us to return for a longer stay at another incredible price. It was way less than what we could have booked at the hotel. We just returned from that trip and had a better time than the previous time. On this visit they gave us a 2 bedroom unit. Our daughter joined us with her friend and we all had a great time. We had to sit through the presentation again but opted not to purchase (so glad we didn't, I did not do my due diligence research before attending. They were offering 450 points for around 10k. They would have been useless). Before leaving, they offered us another 4 night stay at a great price. We plan to visit Key West using this package.

There is no comparison between hotel rooms and timeshares. We now feel deprived when we have to stay in a traditional hotel room, haha

I have read how Interval International has devalued the Hyatt owners points/ownership. While this is concerning, it's hard for me to be mad at something I wasn't able to take of advantage of in the past.

So I am currently in the market for a diamond week in Key West that equates to 2200 points. From my research, Maui is diamond year round. How easy is it to internal trade into Maui? Coming from Florida, a Hawaii trip would probably be once every 5 years or so.

Maui has traditionally been tough to exchange into, as Maui owners can usually get so much more $$ by renting their units instead of exchanging them back into the Hyatt inventory. With a Hyatt deeded week (fka Hyatt Residence Club), you can make a waitlist request as far as 18 months in advance. I have noticed that Maui weeks are much trade into since the Lahaina Fire. There are currently about 12 weeks available to trade into on the Hyatt internal website, mostly in November and just getting into December. Not sure if that will continue.

How easy will it be to break up the points and stay at Coconut Point and Key West for 3-4 nights midweek and only pay one maintenance fee for the year?

I think it would be super easy to get 3-4 midweek nights several times a year for one MF, if you have enough points (e.g., a 2200 point diamond week). I would be happy to check the website and see what is available at this snapshot in time.

With 2200 points, what kind of property can you get in Orlando area via Interval?

I suspect you can get almost anything that is available on Interval using your Hyatt points. A 1BR would probably require 1100 to 1300 points for a week. Not sure about 2BRs, but it is easy to check.

Of the 3 Hyatt Key West properties, which one is considered the nicest? Advantages from one over another?

I have no experience in any of the Florida Hyatt resorts.

I attempted to purchase a week at Windward Point but Hyatt exercised their ROFR.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
We own at Sunset Harbor. It's advantages (to us) as compared to Windward and Beach House is that it is 3 min walk to Duval and Greene, and the center of "the action" , and 2 mins to Mallory Square, while still being far enough away to be a relaxing resort. HSH does not have on site restaurant/bar, don;t need one. Has a very high occupancy rate...something like 94% so it is difficult to trade into.
The cruise ships dock in front about 4 days a week, but leave before sunset, which you can watch from the property. Like all Florida resorts, the Florida statute that requires full funding for some maintenance items set the budget back a little. Don;t anticipate any huge special assessment. There is also an owners group on Facebook. Can't speak to the other locations as we never have stayed and either. Also of note is that the developer is not currently exersizing ROFR.

SeaRay24

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. These are good points. Onsite restaurant is not important to us either.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I can add to this:

"How easy is it" is 100% dependent on "How flexible are you."

Most people say they're flexible. Most people are liars. "I want what I want when I want it," is not going to work. But, "HKB, any floor, any unit, any week during the year 2029" almost certainly will.

I routinely trade my week for unicorns. I get them because my search parameters are so wide that I net the occasional castle in Europe. If I was asking for these same units, two weeks from now, it would be a different story.

As for on-site restaurant, on-site fitness center and similar, you'd be amazed at how many people demand these things are a dealbreaker if not at the resort. "Fitness center? You're within walking distance of Smathers Beach in Key West. Walk outside!" But, again, see the fourth sentence in this message.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people say they're flexible. Most people are liars.
Most people aren't liars, but they don't understand TS flexibility. Lots of folks think flexibility means I could leave 2 days earlier or later. In TS, flexible means I could go pretty much any time with some advance notice, and/or I'm interested in staying somewhere nice and I'm not wedded to a particular destination.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Most people aren't liars, but they don't understand TS flexibility. Lots of folks think flexibility means I could leave 2 days earlier or later. In TS, flexible means I could go pretty much any time with some advance notice, and/or I'm interested in staying somewhere nice and I'm not wedded to a particular destination.

No, I really meant it. Most people are liars. They're lying to themselves. And they're usually not aware they're doing it. But a lie is a lie.

Sort of like how 80%-ish of the adults in this country think they're above average drivers. That doesn't make any sense at all. But people "feel" it's true. They're also detail-oriented. They're flexible. And their houses are spotlessly clean. They take care of their things. They always "make it right" when they make mistakes. And so on, and so on.

Reminds me of the relative we were going to take to Napa with us. This is the last time we'll ever invite anyone else on vacation. A week before departure, she called, "It looks like rain! I'm cancelling!" (Leaving us with the spent points and an extra timeshare unit and no way to do anything about it.)

Sure, it rained -- usually right before dawn, a few days that week. Otherwise, it was glorious as usual.

At the end of the day, most people don't want to put any effort in,. (The old idiom misattributed to Mark Twain, "The person who doesn't read enjoys no advantage over the person who can't.") But want what they want when they want it.

Roughly one-fifth of the people in the developed world will be better off owning a timeshare (assuming it's the right timeshare for them). The other 80% of the population should stick with hotel rooms. As evidence, I present all the posts from profoundly-unhappy timeshare owners, so desperate to be rid of their timeshare that they fall for common scams.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I really meant it. Most people are liars. They're lying to themselves. And they're usually not aware they're doing it. But a lie is a lie.

Sort of like how 80%-ish of the adults in this country think they're above average drivers. That doesn't make any sense at all. But people "feel" it's true. They're also detail-oriented. They're flexible. And their houses are spotlessly clean. They take care of their things. They always "make it right" when they make mistakes. And so on, and so on.

Reminds me of the relative we were going to take to Napa with us. This is the last time we'll ever invite anyone else on vacation. A week before departure, she called, "It looks like rain! I'm cancelling!" (Leaving us with the spent points and an extra timeshare unit and no way to do anything about it.)

Sure, it rained -- usually right before dawn, a few days that week. Otherwise, it was glorious as usual.

At the end of the day, most people don't want to put any effort in,. (The old idiom misattributed to Mark Twain, "The person who doesn't read enjoys no advantage over the person who can't.") But want what they want when they want it.

Roughly one-fifth of the people in the developed world will be better off owning a timeshare (assuming it's the right timeshare for them). The other 80% of the population should stick with hotel rooms. As evidence, I present all the posts from profoundly-unhappy timeshare owners, so desperate to be rid of their timeshare that they fall for common scams.

Timeshare should be called "The Right Time (and Place) Share." And it seems like your Napa relative was happy enough to stay in whine country. Sorry they left you in the lurch.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Timeshare should be called "The Right Time (and Place) Share." And it seems like your Napa relative was happy enough to stay in whine country. Sorry they left you in the lurch.

If it was just her, we wouldn't have instituted the "NOBODY ELSE BUT US" rule. Everyone we know is incapable of making a plan and sticking to that plan. If the reasons were serious -- emergency surgery, death in the family, job change, hurricane on the way -- can't really argue. But we've been stuck with lost points too often because of reasons basically as frivolous as "I'm washing my hair."

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
To which one can add that many are rude, inconsiderate, and self-absorbed as well.

SeaRay24

Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. I do not want to get off topic. I do feel we are very flexible. We have two kids in college and are empty nesters. We live in Florida so for the most part it is always summers for us. My wife has the flexibility of being a per diem RN. She can pick and choose when she wants to work. I plan to retire within the next few months but taking off has never been an issue in the past.

We don't really care about onsite restaurants but I do prefer an onsite gym. However I can go a week without lifting weights. I can always find a way to get an aerobic workout in, a beach walk checks the box just fine for me.

I do have to agree that when you add other adults/family into your vacation, planning becomes difficult.

We continue to look for a diamond week in Florida. One member here brought something to my attention that I wasn't thinking, the fall is probably the best time to buy a resale as owners that want out, may look to unload their unit before their MF is due again in Dec/Jan.

Can anyone explain why I see different MF's at the same property? Is that based on length of ownership, meaning the MF goes up $200 this year. So someone that bought in many years ago my be paying less based on their original MF?

If anyone has more knowledge regarding the 3 Hyatt Properties in Key West I would like to hear your input. The MF cost between Sunset Harbor and Windward Place is not overly significant.

My thought is Key West is probably an easier place to rent/trade and more sort after than Coconut Point.

Thanks again for your input, I am really learning a lot.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
If anyone has more knowledge regarding the 3 Hyatt Properties in Key West I would like to hear your input. The MF cost between Sunset Harbor and Windward Place is not overly significant.

Key West is my home town. And I worked for Hyatt, selling their timeshares. What do you want to know?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. I do not want to get off topic. I do feel we are very flexible. We have two kids in college and are empty nesters. We live in Florida so for the most part it is always summers for us. My wife has the flexibility of being a per diem RN. She can pick and choose when she wants to work. I plan to retire within the next few months but taking off has never been an issue in the past.

We don't really care about onsite restaurants but I do prefer an onsite gym. However I can go a week without lifting weights. I can always find a way to get an aerobic workout in, a beach walk checks the box just fine for me.

I do have to agree that when you add other adults/family into your vacation, planning becomes difficult.

We continue to look for a diamond week in Florida. One member here brought something to my attention that I wasn't thinking, the fall is probably the best time to buy a resale as owners that want out, may look to unload their unit before their MF is due again in Dec/Jan.

Can anyone explain why I see different MF's at the same property? Is that based on length of ownership, meaning the MF goes up $200 this year. So someone that bought in many years ago my be paying less based on their original MF?

My thought is Key West is probably an easier place to rent/trade and more sort after than Coconut Point.

Thanks again for your input, I am really learning a lot.
Different maintenance fees at the same property may be because one was listed for sale a year earlier than another. Each has the maintenance fee from the year it was listed, which is different. The maintenance fee goes up every year, so someone who bought week 12 a decade ago is paying the same amount as someone who bought week 12 last year.

we had one small kiddo when we started looking, and went with Beach House for the pool with shallow entry and the big Sandy area. Now two kiddos, and still glad we chose that one. If we were past the little kiddo stage, we would have gone with Sunset for the better location. Windward was never interesting.

Coconut has some litigation going on. If we were looking at them right now, I would hold until the lawyer stuff is over so that we would be dealing with a known quantity.

Any points a timeshare person attempts to sell you right now, with the exception of Hawaii, is not a deeded interest, but points in a trust. Most on here, my self included, have a low opinion of the Hyatt trust point program. In other words, buy a deed resale and you will be in a better position. All the more so if there is a particular week or unit you may be interested in as Hyatt deeded weeks grant the use of a specific week and unit.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your best approach is to buy a week at a resort where you would want to stay. And that should be during the general timeframe when you would want to be there. That gives you a full set of options. If all else fails, you can stay at your owned resort week.

You know Florida seasons and weather so that gives you a leg up. Now you need to do a deep dive on the 3 Key West properties. Take a look at your lifestyle as that will quickly narrow the choices. The Beach House is very good for young children while Sunset Harbor is not a kid friendly place. Old Town and Sunset Harbor is really perfect for restaurants, bars, shopping and adult things. Windward Pointe is "remote" and away from any kind of action. It's the newest of the three and the design is quite nice. A car would be important at Windward but parking in Old Town is a disaster.

The ball's in your court so check your pulse and come back with questions.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Hello,

@SeaRay24, I own at Hyatt Beach House in Key West. I picked this location because I love the view of the water. I was also able to get this resale unit for less money then the other two Hyatt's on Key West. I have been very happy with my purchase and I have internally exchanged it into Coconut in Bonita Springs, Sedona, in AZ, and got lucky to get a 4 night stay in Sarasota,

SeaRay24

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback everyone has been providing.
Seems like the 3 properties all offer something different.
Sunset Harbor = Walking distance to Duval St and Mallory Sq
Beach House = kid friendly, zero entry pool
Windward Pt = Newest, quieter, a few miles from the action

When it comes to parking, do they limit how many cars you are allowed to have on property?

ScoopKona

Reaction score

When it comes to parking, do they limit how many cars you are allowed to have on property?

Sunset Harbor charges for parking. The other two are fairly relaxed -- within reason. I wouldn't try to bring a caravan of RVs to the Beach House.

Pro-tip -- avoid driving in Key West. Rent a Conch Cruiser bike or uber. It will cost far less time, money and frustration. Key West is 2x4 miles. But the area tourists care about is only about 0.5 x 0.5 miles. Get to Old Town by whatever means makes sense. And then walk from place to place. Takes far less time than trying to find a parking spot, which is usually nigh-on impossible. Add to this that most of the people on the roads are drunk, lost and sightseeing. It's safer to be away from these people. Police turn a blind eye to tourists acting like fools because that's our economy, in a nutshell.

In 20 years living there as an adult, I never once owned a car. It was cheaper to take a cab the few times I really needed a vehicle. And it was cheaper to fly if I needed to go someplace further than Key Largo. (Seriously, add up all the vehicle expenses -- insurance, gas, parking, parking tickets, initial purchase, oil changes, mechanics) and commuting via Five-6's or Embraer made more sense.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

If you have a boat, there is a dock at Beach House owners can park their boat at. Call them in advance as it’s a first come kind of thing.
At Sunset you park in a garage next door. It seems that over the years they have changed the cost for owners, hopefully someone else chimes in. The other two properties are free to park at, but we have only had one car not multiple. However, as Scoop mentioned, it’s a PITA to find a parking spot in the touristy spot (which is right outside the door at Sunset).

ScoopKona

Reaction score
If you have a boat, there is a dock at Beach House owners can park their boat at. Call them in advance as it’s a first come kind of thing.

That dock is what's left of my childhood "fishin' spot." I've pulled so many snapper out of that channel. I used to go there constantly with a rod and basically anything as bait. (There's very little mangrove snapper won't bite on.) It isn't "sexy fishing." But a dozen snapper fillets in a light tempura is a feast.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Never have used the parking pass at Sunset, but I believe it is $35.00 dollars for the week.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never have used the parking pass at Sunset, but I believe it is $35.00 dollars for the week.
The cost of a HSH weekly parking pass varies based on an individual's ownership. HSH deeded week owners pay $35. HRC owners pay $50 or $55. II exchanges pay the most - I think around $65. I don't know what HPP owners pay.

HSH has a yearly lease arrangement with the adjacent Opal parking deck for approx 45 spaces. With HSH having 40 total units, works out to 1 parking space for each unit and a few extra for front office staff.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

This is the way.

I can understand why people want to drive US-1 down to Key West. Absolutely. It's a beautiful drive. It's a beautiful drive that I have done so many times that I don't care if I ever do it again. But at least I understand it.

Wanting a car in Key West? That's crazy talk. There's almost no advantage to having one; and so many disadvantages. Not least of which is most of the other drivers really are drunk, lost and sightseeing. I've seen so many DUI crashes in that town (and more than a few fatalities involving scooters), that I'll never understand why people want to do this to themselves.

I was at the Southernmost point, where my office was located, when I saw a woman on a scooter run into a stop sign full throttle -- she had no idea how to operate a scooter. In her blind panic, she froze up with the throttle wide open. And she didn't even think to ditch the scooter and deal with the road rash. She hit the sign post at 35mph or so (whatever wide-open on those things is), head-first, no helmet; and died instantly. I was stuck calling it in because I was the only witness.

During bike week I saw another woman run a Harley partially up a light pole, and then fell over backwards with the bike on top of her. Another Key West Darwin Award nominee.

And I've already mentioned the mustang convertible I saw being extracted from a tree a mile away from my farm. Tourists* aren't to be trusted. Tourists with alcohol in rental cars and bikes are their own worst enemy. Since Key West has a reputation as a party town, it's worse there than most places.

Meanwhile, I can walk from Mallory Pier to the Green Parrot in a matter of minutes. And if I had mobility issues, there's always Five-6s and Uber. Cheaper in both the long and short run than a rental.

*The difference between a tourist and a traveler is that travelers leave their brains on when they're traveling.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@SeaRay24 It sounds like I have different take based on what you said -
- you live in FL
- you would like to break up your points into multiple 4 night midweek stays in KW and at Coconut Plantation (love that place but it is the opposite in KW because it is very QUIET)
- you are flexible

The only real reason to buy where you want to go is if you use your full week. FL is more expensive - Pinion Point in Sedona and Wild Oak Ranch in TX will have lower MFs. Sunset Harbor is harder to book but if flexible you will be fine - and they also have 1br units if without kids to stretch your points (Beach House and Windward are 2br only, and the studios at Sunset have no lanai and are somewhat cramped). Coconut is not hard to book either and their studios are nice and workable with a lanai to stretch points even further when not with family.

SeaRay24

Reaction score
Thank you again for all the great input. I was not aware of dock availability at the Beach House. That will weigh into our decision. I was pricing transient slips at a few of the local marinas. The higher MF at Beach House compared to Windward Pt would be offset by not paying a private marina if a slip at the Hyatt is available.

Does anyone have experience on the first come first serve use of the dock, and calling ahead?
How does it work, any additional fees?

As for parking, those rates are reasonable for a week. As mentioned above, we live in So Florida so we will never be flying into Key West.
Coconut Pt and the Key West properties are the most convenient for us. Because we can drive, bringing our own bikes to get around the island is easy. We have experienced the nightmare parking and drivers firsthand so don't need the headache of that while on vacation.

We have ruled out Sunset Harbor. Being close to the action on Duval for 7 nights or however long we stay is not that high of importance to us.

Another question, in reviewing the resale listings is there any advantages of one over the other for Friday/Saturday/Sunday check-in, or is just personal preference?

Last edited: