• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I buy a cheap timeshare to get RCI and II Extra Vacations?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@Jan M. , since I am newer, wondering if there's a reference post for all of these abbreviations we use on here? I'm learning some (slowly), but others...? :shrug:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
@Jan M. , since I am newer, wondering if there's a reference post for all of these abbreviations we use on here? I'm learning some (slowly), but others...? :shrug:

If there is I'm not aware of it but someone else might be able to point you to one.

Another abbreviation commonly used in RCI related posts is TPU, Trading Power Units. If an owner of a fixed week, not a points week, deposits their week instead of using it they get TPU's for it that they can use to book other resorts.

AI means all inclusive. The all inclusive resorts are usually in Mexico and the Caribbean. You pay a separate all inclusive fee when you get to the resort. They typically include your food, drinks and sometimes even water sport equipment that you might otherwise have to rent,

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow. This thread is suddenly drawing 'newbies' like bees to honey. Good deal.

ATTENTION ALL YOU 'NEW TO TIMESHARE' NEWBIES (or NewBee's if it makes you feel more 'earthy')

Here is a great place to start if you need answers and info. Use the search (CTRL-F) to find key words on the page: Timesharing 101 - an Introduction to Timeshares

Don't know a term: Timeshare Glossary & Forum Acronyms

Questions about Interval? Interval Facts and questions!

Info about other exchange companies? Exchange company sticky

As far as the 'should I buy a timeshare to get access to XXXXX'

Here's a suggestion: Don't buy a car to get access to parking lots. Don't buy a dog to get access to pet stores. What am I saying?
  • You can get almost anything you can get with a timeshare......for the same/similar price without the timeshare.
  • There are 100's or 1000's of opportunities for discount vacations via access to:
    • Private shopping clubs (Costco, Bj's etc....)
    • Military/DoD, Government, Union, Emergency Responders (Fire, Police, Nurse, DR, etc...)
    • Public timeshare rental sites disguised as discount vacation brokers...
    • TUG, Redweek, Ebay.....etc
  • Looking for vacation bargains is a hobby or seasonal effort. Buying a timeshare is long-term commitment that may not be easy to 'get rid of.'
So, if you think buying a timeshare might be right for you......consider filling out the 'what to buy for newbies' survey: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/
If you think you want to 'rent' a timeshare via some good deals from RCI or II, then make sure you fully understand the costs and trouble associated with owning a timeshare and the alternatives.....before you go jumping into the 'deep end of the pool.'

lilliand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
It is the RCI sale weeks that I find most valuable. I've been booking 2-4 of them a year for the past several years and can use even more of them now that my husband retired. I've never booked any Extra Vacation or Last Call weeks.
I am not seeing any "sale" weeks when I log in to RCI. I see exchange, extra vacations and last call vacations. I am new to RCI. I have used Interval for years. My resort switched from Interval to RCI late last year. I had paid for Platinum Interval for 5 years just before the announcement. So now i have membership in both. I have looked at the RCI website and browsed around but have never booked anything. I am thinking about retiring in the next 6 months and do more traveling. Where do you see the "sales" weeks?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I am not seeing any "sale" weeks when I log in to RCI. I see exchange, extra vacations and last call vacations. I am new to RCI. I have used Interval for years. My resort switched from Interval to RCI late last year. I had paid for Platinum Interval for 5 years just before the announcement. So now i have membership in both. I have looked at the RCI website and browsed around but have never booked anything. I am thinking about retiring in the next 6 months and do more traveling. Where do you see the "sales" weeks?

There isn't a sale going on right now but RCI has them frequently. On The main page you will see boxes, like the last call weeks. You will click on that to open the sale weeks. Some sales are better than others both with the prices and how far out the dates range.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI

The sale weeks are included in the Extra Vacations or Last Call Sections. RCI has a sale going most of the time but how much of a discount varies. You will want to watch the places you are interested in to see if they ever go on sale and by how much.
Whether you can use the Extra vacations weeks is another issue. If you live someplace within driving distance of a lot of timeshares (like Florida or S CA) you are more likely to find something. I don't, so I haven't found much I am interested in or can use. It all depends on what you want. Make a habit of checking the Extra Vacation options to get an idea of what is out there. Personally, I've had better luck with II's AC's.

Sue

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope...RCI weeks has the last call or extra vacation weeks, and then weeks that have reduced TPUs. Sounds like weeks/points are different in that respect.

Hm. I have RCI through my Wyndham ownership. Oddly enough it is on the weeks side, not the points side of RCI. I can get Extra Vacations, Last Calls and sale weeks. Don't know why I can see sale weeks and you can't, Missy. Last September I got a week at Holiday Inn Vacation Club Fox River in Sheridan, Illinois (used to be Silverleaf) for $199.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
And every great once-in-awhile you can snag a great deal-our TS is independent but trades within II. We were gifted the TS decades ago, MF $385/yr. Prime week at Lake Ozark, 3bed/2.5 bath tri-level treehouse style. Have traded into Caribbean, Orlando, TX, Las Vegas and used the week many years. Finally able to use an AC - for $325 for Orlando this month at a Marriott Vacation club resort (which we love-just spent a week at Cypress Harbour in June on an exchange). Taking my 15 year old to Universal for their Halloween nights for 4 days. Using the AC was much much much cheaper than anything but a fleabag hotel-and we've got a 2bed/2bath for a week.

We lucked out in our timeshare was paid for and we only have II membership and MF to pay for. I am considering obtaining a bargain TS in Las Vegas that will trade into RCI as we do like LV alot, so one with low MF and open up other resorts may be good for us.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
A resort I own is affiliated with both RCI and II but I never thought about joining either. When I started looking into buying Bluegreen points I discovered they come with a "free" RCI membership. The membership fee is included in my $139 club dues. I'm glad I have it! I now use the special sales that are cash only, none of my Bg points or exchange fees. I do a couple a year.

They are actually part of the extra vacations so when you buy these you are actually using the Extra Vacations at a reduced rate.

When I log intl RCI through my Bg owner's page the special sales are listed next to the map. There are currently three offers, one is 40% off some bookings.

I check daily for these sales because I have specific places I look for on sale.

I've paid between $199 - $299 plus tax for full week stays.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I've paid between $199 - $299 plus tax for full week stays.

One of the best parts of RCI, especially for those who are retired or have very flexible schedules.

Magnum

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inseasons Points
[DELETED: Advertising/soliciting are not allowed in the discussion forums. Our classifieds are in the TUG Marketplace, linked at the top of the page.]

Last edited by a moderator:

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
I would never buy a timeshare just to get access to extra vacations. Only buy a timeshare if you will use it or trade it and to trade it you need a good trader. It is important not to just get any timeshare. You want to make sure you have something that is desirable and others would want when you no longer want it. You can find desirable ones for free too.
I agree we have a timeshare in Mexico that we use for 2 weeks and pay for 2 extra days. It's fixed weeks. And 1 odd week in Tahoe but we use it for day uses. I'm thinking of getting 1 more week in Vegas a tri year. So we can go to Vegas ever 3rd year. And so far we haven't needed to trade. So we don't pay any extra fees.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your primary purpose is access to Last Call, Extra Vacations, and Getaways, you could get an almost free every other year exchanger. For example, the one Breezez mentioned - Sheraton Desert Oasis, which trades in Interval and RCI with Vistana priority. It's a very nice resort to use yourself, but it allows entrance into Interval and RCI to try out trading and Last Call/ExtraVacations/Getaways. If you join the exchange companies and determine that buying vacations straight out works best for you, you can give the timeshare away and KEEP your membership active in Interval and/or RCI.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, in terms of value, there is nothing out there like the RCI last minute and Interval Getaways. I have seen many high end resorts for 1/2 of the MF. You have to be flexible though and you can get great deals.

We are regaining access to RCI for this purpose actually. In addition to II where we can deposit several weeks a year, we want to be able to access the last minute deals for NH, Vermont etc. They are driving distance for us and we can go several times a year, even for only 4-5 days at the time (no to miss too much work) and still represent a fantastic deal even if we pay 3oo-400 for the whole week. Again, this is not the most reliable in terms of vacation planning but IMO there is always something there to fill that layer of vacations we needed.

Right now for example there is a Marriott Frenchman Cove in VI for about $1100, 1 week 2 bedrooms at the end of January. There is also a studio at Marriott Surf club Aruba in mid-December for $645. Go find that anywhere else!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took ownership of a free Vistana week here on TUG bargain deals. It let me join RCI and Interval. I gave it away and did not inform either exchange company. So I have both accounts with $0 maint fees. As long as I pay RCI and Interval annual fees I can access RCI extra and last calls as well as Interval Getaways and ACs.

This is probably as good a way to do it as any...

George

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
SmithOp said:
I took ownership of a free Vistana week here on TUG bargain deals. It let me join RCI and Interval. I gave it away and did not inform either exchange company. So I have both accounts with $0 maint fees. As long as I pay RCI and Interval annual fees I can access RCI extra and last calls as well as Interval Getaways and ACs.

This was actually confirmed by RCI on the phone, once you open the account, you keep the membership as long as you pay the membership fees. In the end, why would they care since they make money anyways. This is exactly what I may end up doing. In addition to what i already own, i am getting a Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1 bedroom platinum EOY , MF $240 annually that i plan to enroll in RCI (and in the existing II account) . $480 is not a bad MF for a Vistana trader in Interval. If i end up owning too many weeks I can just give it away and keep the RCI membership. I see the dually affiliated resorts as a great bridge for those that do not want the burden of a lot of MF but still want access to both exchange companies.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm chuckling that I responded to a thread started last summer, that was resurrected by a "guest" trying to sell something a couple of days ago. I really need to look at posting dates...:p

It's still good information, though.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Select Extra Vacations
259USD

PER WEEK
Book by 5/17/19 for travel 5/17/19 - 7/14/19.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
What we did is not for everyone, we bought close to home on north lake tahoe so we can use the day use. When its hot at home. Plus we have a fixed week 4&5 in pv Mexico when its cold at home. Which the deed is up in 2030 with a rebuy for another 30 years

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Since this has been revived, and to specifically address the OP, you do not have to buy a timeshare in order to get access to ALL EVs and LCs, the same as subscribing RCI members. Just purchase a 5-Year Guest Pass through an active RCI member. $179. There are no limitations on the number/frequency of use, and you will not have to pay Guest Certificate Fees.

I've found that the easiest way to do that is through Chat on RCI.com, and that gives you a written record, too. I've found the most difficult way is by phone, so bad that I gave up after an hour of menus, getting people who could not do it, being put on hold, repeating myself repeatedly, and bad connections on their end since I had 5 bars.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I still own several RCI weeks but in my attempt to clean up my deposit page I had RCI remove my Marco island HGVC affilated weeks. I think I lost some HGVC preference

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Kick Off to Summer: Vacations Just $279 Per Week

BOOK NOW

Select Extra VacationsSM getaways now less than
$40USD per night*
Sale ends 5/31/19. Book today for travel 5/31/19 through 7/28/19.

Sam Pedizeby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Does anyone know discount codes for Interval International membership fees and 3 year Platinum fees. I'm renewing in June 2019

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
50,000 Vacations

ON SALE NOW

Act fast! Most deals end 6/30/19.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Last Minute Vacations Now $50 Off!
Last CallSM vacations are now $50USD off! Book by 6/30/2019 for travel within the next 45 days.

Like:

KISSIMMEE, FL USA
Wyndham Cypress Palms #3995
1 Bedroom Partial 4/2 Max Occupancy/Privacy
Sun 14-Jul-2019 to Sun 21-Jul-2019
USD 244.00