• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

should I [accept a free timeshare at Sheraton Desert Oasis]

vacagetaway

Reaction score
I have someone giving me a timeshare should I take it. Its at SDO in AZ. The MF are 450.00 yearly. And it is weekly not points. This will be my first TS. We do vacation often. My worry is what happens in 20 yrs when I don't want it any more? Are TS bad???

Confused:shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

This is a Starwood timeshare, so I moved your question to that forum.

I'd suggest that you start by reading the Starwood FAQ at the top of the forum, and let us know what questions you have.

Most of the people on TUG own timeshares (I own 7 including the one your are asking about) and find timesharing a great way to vacation at a lower cost, in larger and higher quality accommodations.

Regarding your original question - this may be a good acquisition for you, but it depends on many factors:

What season is this timeshare in?
Floating
Platinum
Gold
Silver

Do you usually take a full 1 week vacation every year?

Do you want to visit this particular location?

Would you like to trade it for other locations? List the top 5 destinations you'd like to travel to (these may or may not be places you already go.)

Can you afford the maintenance fee that will come due every year right after Christmas and will increase over time? (This year the increase was about 3% - but future increases are difficult to predict.)

Can you plan your vacations 12 or more mos. in advance?

Are you a detail oriented vacation planner?

Do you understand that a timeshare is a contractual financial obligation, and you may not be able to sell it if you want to get rid of it? (Right now, if you owned this timeshare and it is a Plat or floating week, you could easily give it away, or sell it for a modest amount, however, no one can tell you what things will be like next year or in 20 years.)

Here is a really important question:
1) Did the current owner buy this timeshare from the developer or did he buy it on the resale market?
2) Are you related to the owner?

Answer these questions and we can give you a lot more advice. :hi:

Last edited:

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to the Sheraton timeshare thread. [The post has been moved to the Starwood forum - DeniseM]

The SDO is a very popular timeshare for trading as it gets Sheraton to Sheraton preference within Interval. This allows you to trade into Hawaii and other Shertaon and Westin locations that have far higher maintenance fees.

We bought an SDO last fall for that reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Two more questions:

What size is the unit?
small 1 bedroom
large 1 bedroom
2 bedroom

Is the ownership every-other-year?

If the maintenance fee you posted is close to being correct, I'd guess that it is an every-other-year 2 bdm., or the maintenance fee is incorrect.

Last edited:

vacagetaway

Reaction score
Thank you will go to that thread.

Yes I do plan our vacations a year in advance.
The type is 2bd lockout, gold crown, red season(not sure what that means yet)
I am ok with the fees.
The seller bought it from someone 12yrs ago (i think) and I do know this person well.
We are going to use Time Share Transfer to help with the transfer. Do you think that will ok?
I am excited just nervous.
I do go to AZ but not to often. I would be exchanging most of the time.

Thanks again for the help.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please see the questions I added above.

Thank you will go to that thread.

Yes I do plan our vacations a year in advance.
I am ok with the fees.

I am not sure the MF he quoted to you is accurate, since it doesn't match this year's fees - he may have quoted you old fees.

EOY Lg. 1 Bdm. - $332.27
EOY 2 Bdm. L/O - $474.20
Sm. 1 Bdm. - $529.91
Lg. 1 Bdm. - $624.54
2 Bdm. L/O - $908.41

The type is 2bd lockout, gold crown, red season(not sure what that means yet)

This is not the way that Starwood describes the seasons - it will be one of the following - it is very important to know which one.
-Platinum week
-1-52 floating week
-Gold week
-Silver week
I would not accept a gold or silver week, because it will have poor trading power, and you can only use it during the off-season (like when AZ is 120º!)

The seller bought it from someone 12yrs ago (i think) and I do know this person well.

That means this is a resale - so you can use it, or exchange it, but it does not have Staroptions or or Starpoints or trade in the Starwood vacation network. (That's OK.)

We are going to use Time Share Transfer to help with the transfer. Do you think that will ok?

For a free timeshare, I use TSTransfer, that only charge about $100. Time Share Transfer is a good company, but they will charge more like $300.

I do go to AZ but not to often. I would be exchanging most of the time.

The real strength of this timeshare (TS) as a trader, is that Starwood owners have priority for Starwood to Starwood exchanges with Interval International (II). If you can plan (put in a request) 12 or more mos. out, and if you don't have to travel during holiday weeks, you can exchange into just about any Starwood timeshare, except Westin St. John. This includes some top resorts on Maui and Kauai, and their newest resort in Cancun. Click here for all Starwood timeshares.

The cost of exchanging with II is:

Yearly II membership fee - currently about $45
Exchange fee - $104
Your yearly maintenance fee (MF) paid to Starwood - not sure what your's is.

Last edited:

vacagetaway

Reaction score
DeniseM-
yes its 2bd- biann-lockout-but the fees are paid yearly

I just want to make sure I learn how to use the TS to get my moneys worth.
So i am doing alot of reading. And this site has help alot!!

Thanks

sui

TUG Member
Reaction score
for 2br and $450 MF, I guess it is 2br EOY, yes it is a good deal if you get it for free AND if it is the red season, at least IMHO.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If it is an every other year 2 bdm., that means that it is a large one bedroom + a small one bedroom, which are connected to make a 2 bedroom lock-off.

During the use years (either odd or even) you can:

Visit the resort for 1 week and use both units at the same time.

Visit the resort for 2 weeks and use each unit separately.

Deposit the timeshare with II and either use it for ONE exchange into a 2 bedroom at another resort, or use it for TWO exchanges into 1 bdm. units at another resort. This can be the same resort, or 2 different resorts.

Let's say that the next use year is 2012 (you need to check.)

Right now, you can reserve 2012 for your own usage, or you can deposit it with II and put in a request for an exchange. You have a maximum of 30 mos. to use the deposit.​

Before you make a decision, you need to find out what season it is deeded for.

floorplan_2bedlo.gif

Last edited:

vacagetaway

Reaction score
I am not sure what season it is deeded for. I was just told it is Red season with no certain week. It is a odd year TS.

Can I exchange with Rci or is II better. And should I deposit it as soon as its in my name?

Thanks for the floor plan.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure what season it is deeded for. I was just told it is Red season with no certain week. It is a odd year TS.

You have to find out - that is the #1 determining factor in whether you should accept it or not. If it's not a floating week or a Plat week, I absolutely would NOT take it. If it is a gold or silver week, it is virtually worthless.

Can I exchange with Rci or is II better

Most people say the II has better trading power, because of the Starwood to Starwood priority - which you don't get with RCI. The only reason to deposit with RCI, is if you want to visit a timeshare that II doesn't offer - like Disney timeshares. RCI also has significantly higher fees than II.

And should I deposit it as soon as its in my name?

Yes - but it will take about 3 - 4 mos. to transfer it to your name, because Starwood is wayyyyyyyyyyy behind right now.

vacagetaway

Reaction score
When I have deposited my week and it is sitting with an exchange company.
Is the only difference in booking quickly or booking couple of months later is the resort you want may not be available? Is that right?? And is the cost different for the exchange depending how quick you book???

Thank you for the help on these questions:)

vacagetaway

Reaction score
Thank you DeniseM for the info I will find this out.
Thanks again

what is a plat week?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you DeniseM for the info I will find this out.
Thanks again

what is a plat week?

At this resort there are 4 usage seasons. An owner can only use or deposit their week during the deeded season. They are ranked as follows:

Platinum - weeks 1-21, 50 & 52

Floating - weeks 1-52

Gold - weeks 22-27, 36-49 (off season for AZ!)

Silver - weeks 28-35 (120º in AZ!)

You do NOT want a gold or silver week - even for free!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I have deposited my week and it is sitting with an exchange company. Is the only difference in booking quickly or booking couple of months later is the resort you want may not be available? Is that right??

Let's say you want to go to Maui in September, and Starwood deposits a bunch of Maui weeks in II tomorrow, in 3-4 mos. time, when this week is in your name, those deposits will be long gone. So you want to make your deposit and request as early as possible, so that it's in place before the deposits come in.

And is the cost different for the exchange depending how quick you book???

No - here are the exchange costs:

Membership - $89 (right now there is a 2 for one discount, so you can get 2 years for $89.)

Exchange Fees (As of 7/1/10):

Made over the Phone-
Domestic - $159
International - $174

Made Online-
Domestic - $139
International - $154

(You get a $20 discount when you do a Starwood to Starwood exchange.)

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
what is a plat week?

Denise is right--find out what the unit number is and what week it's deeded to. SDO is a little complicated as their are four different "season" types. Originally, SDO was sold as 1-52 week float. After Starwood took over, they sold the remaining weeks in one of three seasons:

Weeks 1-21, 50-52 are Platinum
Weeks 22-27 & 26-49 are Gold
Weeks 28-35 are Silver

However, Starwood could not go back and change the season designation on units that were already sold, so they remain as 1-52 float. Since you said the current owner bought 12 years ago, I would guess it's a 1-52 float which will be fine. To check on the unit numbers that are "three season," see this post:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=512371&postcount=8

Best wishes,

Glorian

P.S. Just noticed that Denise already posted this info--hard to keep up with her!!!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Membership - $89 (right now there is a 2 for one discount, so you can get 2 years for $89.)

Made over the Phone-
Domestic - $159
International - $174

Made Online-
Domestic - $139
International - $154

My recent Harborside exchange was $104.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jerseygirl - The new rates were published, but for some reason haven't been implemented. Not sure why....

brizone

Reaction score
So....what happened??? Was it Platinum? Did vacagetaway get a super deal??

I'm on the edge of my seat here waiting for the next installment!! I feel like I should be wearing a TUG sweatshirt or something, in support.

Vacagetaway, please don't hold out on us! I'm dyin' over here! :confused:

It's amazing how much information is in this thread, and that list of specific Platinum units was the kicker.

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's say you want to go to Maui in September, and Starwood deposits a bunch of Maui weeks in II tomorrow, in 3-4 mos. time, when this week is in your name, those deposits will be long gone. So you want to make your deposit and request as early as possible, so that it's in place before the deposits come in.

Made over the Phone-
Domestic - $159
International - $174

Made Online-
Domestic - $139
International - $154

Denise--have been contemplating joining interval--do I need a discount code for the 2 for 1 offer? thanx, Dawn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise--have been contemplating joining interval--do I need a discount code for the 2 for 1 offer? thanx, Dawn

Yes - It's in the Starwood Owner Resources sticky at the top of the forum, under the "Exchanging Heading." There are 2 codes - sometimes one works, some time the other works, some time neither works. If it won't work only, call II and ask for the Starwood desk and ask them for help.