• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shocked I couldn't find an stainless steel electric tea kettle not manufactured in China

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Whenever I purchase something new I first try to find it made in the US. I am willing to pay more, much more.

Today my quest was to replace an electric tea kettle that rests on a base and has auto shut off. I could not find one manufactured in the US. That actually didn't surprises me. Well known brands that in the past were not made in China now stated designed in "their country". Dig deeper and they are made in China.

I did find a few brands that were made in Italy, Germany and the UK but none are available to purchase/use in the US.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever I purchase something new I first try to find it made in the US. I am willing to pay more, much more.

Today my quest was to replace an electric tea kettle that rests on a base and has auto shut off. I could not find one manufactured in the US. That actually didn't surprises me. Well known brands that in the past were not made in China now stated designed in "their country". Dig deeper and they are made in China.

I did find a few brands that were made in Italy, Germany and the UK but none are available to purchase/use in the US.
Breville has one that is made in the U.S., but you are right in that it is very costly!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Best one we ever had was in a timeshare resort in Scotland. Super fast and very hot! Liked it so much when we got home I looked for the same one and couldn’t find it. But I did buy one on Amazon anyway- but not the same.

Came in handy when we remodeled our kitchen years ago. I haven’t used it since.

I usually use a stove top
Kettle.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Why are you shock the majority of items that are manufacture all come from China.
American workers in the past made items to look good and to last with American Pride. Made in the USA.
China makes items to look good; but will not last. IMHO

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
There are several induction cookers which are made in the US. Add to that a US-made cast iron pot or other ferrous pot (easy to find made in the USA).

Whammo. That's the fastest way to boil water.

I have half a dozen induction cookers because they're so useful. Frying? Induction cooker, extension cord, and cast iron dutch oven -- OUTSIDE. No smell. Wipe off the induction cooker after it cools. Done. Frying on easy mode. Boiling? It's the tool for the job. Holding hot food in a water bath? It's not as precise as a circulator. But for tasks like "keeping hollandaise at temperature for a couple hours so it doesn't turn to glue," induction works like a champ. And although it's unlikely people do this at home, for slow-poaching tasks (like garlic in oil), the induction cooker is peerless.

On any given holiday, I'll have two or three going at the same time. If I decide to do any catering, all of them are coming with.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
One thing to consider, no one in America uses an electric kettle. There just isn't a big market here. I like Delonghi Kettles, designed in Italy, but, yes, made in China. Very well made though, I have one I have used for years.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
And, to agree with ScoopKona, induction is perfect for kettles. I used the Delonghi at work, as it has the auto shut off. That way if I get busy, it turns itself off. Home is a whistle kettle on induction. Calphalon makes nice traditional whistle kettles.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
One thing to consider, no one in America uses an electric kettle.

There's one in nearly every Asian-American household I have ever visited. "The kettle is over there" is pretty much the second thing you'll hear after "take off your shoes."

Haoles don't use electric kettles for some reason.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why are you shock the majority of items that are manufacture all come from China.
American workers in the past made items to look good and to last with American Pride. Made in the USA.
China makes items to look good; but will not last. IMHO
Shocked because I thought I could find another country that made one that I could get.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tea originated in China, thus they make all the kettles.

The U.S. and other companies that design these kettles decide the level of quality. The factory in China just builds them to the U.S. specifications, which are a balance of cost vs. quality.

Do U.S. companies tell the Chinese factory to "make a shoddy kettle?" No, but they may select cheaper materials, forgo extra inspections, and do everything they can to get the per-unit cost as low as possible.

Everyone knows these kettles aren't going to be as good, but in the mass market, cheaper is usually the winner.

There is a YouTube channel called Project Farm that does a great job and reviewing all kinds of items and includes where they are manufactured.

In watching those videos, generally the most expensive products are the best, although sometimes cheaper products are pretty close. The most-expensive products are more likely to be made in the U.S. or Europe and generally are made of higher-quality materials, but not always.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
no one in America uses an electric kettle

I used mine just last night. Guess there’s at least one of us…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I think the thing that amazes me is that there way too often isn't even a "I'm willing to pay 10x" made in $westernnation option. I think the issue is two things.

1) a lot of people who claim to be willing to spend that money are all bluster.
2) the people who do spend that money buy the thing *once* and it lasts 15+ years and so the company would go out of business waiting to sell a replacement to the small group of these people. Kind of like what happened with Instapot.

I'm not sure what changed in the ~1990s that made companies unable to stay in business on a multiple decade replacement cycle like they did from like 1900 through 1980, but something changed and it's a big driver of disposable stuff. Of course, eventually we'll have environmental reasons that necessitate longer lasting options, but maybe civilization collapses first IDK.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which one? Everyone I looked at said China.

Breville Variable Temp Luxe Kettle at Williams-Sonoma.com. Williams-Sonoma has several by Breville, but the Variable Temp Luxe Kettle was made for use in the U.S.. Sorry, I misread the description...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used mine just last night. Guess there’s at least one of us…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
.... and being Asian American, I do not own a kettle. :)

I have an under counter that does instant hot with the reverse osmosis water, viola, hot water in an instant.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I'm a heathen and use the microwave. I have the 25 oz Dormco Whistling Tea Kettle:
PRO-PS-92-2T.jpg

It safely boils water in ~4-5 minutes. It's simple and easy to clean.

Brett

Reaction score
I think the thing that amazes me is that there way too often isn't even a "I'm willing to pay 10x" made in $westernnation option. I think the issue is two things.

1) a lot of people who claim to be willing to spend that money are all bluster.
2) the people who do spend that money buy the thing *once* and it lasts 15+ years and so the company would go out of business waiting to sell a replacement to the small group of these people. Kind of like what happened with Instapot.

I'm not sure what changed in the ~1990s that made companies unable to stay in business on a multiple decade replacement cycle like they did from like 1900 through 1980, but something changed and it's a big driver of disposable stuff. Of course, eventually we'll have environmental reasons that necessitate longer lasting options, but maybe civilization collapses first IDK.

yes, most people don't want to pay more for disposable kitchen appliances. I remember when General Motors made Frigidaire refrigerators, now it's made in ............... Mexico?

(I don't use a tea kettle)

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an electric tea kettle, was a gift . I really like that it heats water much quicker my microwave it seems.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of reasons kettles come from China:
1) They build 'em to the standards they are assigned.
2) If made in Europe or other places, their electricity is higher voltage than in N. America. Makers would need to make them different for us anyway.
3) The kettles just naturally build up the calcium and other minerals from the water we boil- and this shortens their life. No matter where it's made. Most of us find it preferable to just get a new (cheap) one than to try to clean this build-up from a 'better' one.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
2) If made in Europe or other places, their electricity is higher voltage than in N. America. Makers would need to make them different for us anyway.
3) The kettles just naturally build up the calcium and other minerals from the water we boil- and this shortens their life. No matter where it's made. Most of us find it preferable to just get a new (cheap) one than to try to clean this build-up from a 'better' one.
Ahh, where I live, you have to clean the things every few uses or they mostly stop working with the white 16th inch of scale. A little vinegar for a couple minutes and it's all fixed. At least the Cusinart (yes made in china, no not cheap) lasted something like 10 years till someone got the base too wet and shorted it out I think. We bought the same model again, and then the person who used it passed away so no more kettles for us.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I make my iced tea using an electric induction kettle that I bought at Costco. I have been using it for about four years. Love that thing, but I am sure it's made in China.

Impresses Rick so much that he boils water for pasta and pours the boiling water into his pan on the stove.

I have broken so many Mr. Coffee Iced Tea pots over the years, and I keep the containers and just pour the tea into those. Some of the plastic containers have also broken/ cracked, making the entire tea maker useless.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Breville Variable Temp Luxe Kettle at Williams-Sonoma.com. Williams-Sonoma has several by Breville, but the Variable Temp Luxe Kettle was made for use in the U.S.. Sorry, I misread the description...
Very deception descriptions if you don't read the whole thing.
"This product is intended for use in the United States and Canada, and is built to United States electrical standards."
and
"Designed and engineered in Australia, made in China"

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
.... and being Asian American, I do not own a kettle. :)

I have an under counter that does instant hot with the reverse osmosis water, viola, hot water in an instance.
Is it boiling though? A must for tea.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I actually boil water, vinegar and lemon juice in my stove top kettle every two weeks and never have build up.