• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shocked at how high car rentals in Hawaii are

Kapolei

Reaction score
You would think that since entire fleets of cars are parked you could rent a car for $100/week. Maybe the cost is so high since they they need to do such a thorough and extensive cleaning and disinfection of the car after rental since it may be contaminated with the virus?

At lot of the fleet is being store off location. So I am thinking pricing is based on a much smaller pool.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still have my original reservation for just over $500 for the 2 weeks....I actually have 2 reservations at that price and will keep the 2nd for my son. I ended up changing my reservation to the earlier flight so I get in at 3 pm and used my enterprise reward points to pay for a 1 day rental. Looking forward to brining in the new year on Kauai

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Supply and demand, at least on Maui, may become an issue this winter...as I'm guessing everyone's crystal ball at the companies and on island are probably broken.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just rented a car near Charlotte North Carolina for 10 days. I found at the rate picking up and returning the airport was more than double the rate of picking up the car off airport and returning it to the airport. I just need to get a ride to the pick up point from the airport for 10 or $20. I found this to be true in several cases.
NEVER rent a car from the airport if you can avoid doing so..... Airport rates are always higher due to higher taxes imposed upon all airport vehicle rentals. This is usually true anywhere in the world.

Sometimes it pays to work around it. It definitely may be inconvenient to do so but many times the inconvenience keeps money in your pocket......

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
NEVER rent a car from the airport if you can avoid doing so..... Airport rates are always higher due to higher taxes imposed upon all airport vehicle rentals. This is usually true anywhere in the world.
<snip>

I have not found this to be true in Málaga, Spain. My off-airport rentals have been the same price as my on-airport rentals. So I rent off-arirport only when it is more convenient...such as after a stay in Málaga city.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We typically only Rent for 1 week, so a car rental X 4-5 weeks really adds up. <snip>
This is not true. If you rent for 4 weeks or a few days more, you usually get a monthly rate that is significantly less than daily or weekly rates. We plan our vacations to Europe and Hawaii to take advantage of this.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not true. If you rent for 4 weeks or a few days more, you usually get a monthly rate that is significantly less than daily or weekly rates. We plan our vacations to Europe and Hawaii to take advantage of this.
What I meant was that Although our monthly cost was $804, agreed at $250-$300 weekly rate, the monthly rate is a discount off the weekly rate x 4, $804 is still a lot more money than $250-$300 for just 1 week.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I have a couple of Costco rentals reserved for Jan-Feb 2021 on Maui. These are for a small SUV. My two week Jan rental averages about $450/week at the moment. My four week Jan-Feb rental averages $314/week. Just for grins I added a day to the four week and it was another $10. (Contingency for four-six week visit and possible quarantine prior, though won't need the car for quarantine. ;-)

I then started looking at Sept and Oct, which are back in the $250/week I expected from prior experience. Rates then start trending up through end-year and jump in Jan.

I expect we'll see the rates start to change 30-60 days out, particularly depending on where Hawaii stands on visitation rules in Jan.

In 2019 I booked the small SUV at $250/week 12 months out. I never saw that low a rate the rest of the year. This year they have just maxed rates from the start while they try and micro-manage the unknown like the rest of us.

There was a good article somewhere that talked about how the airline pricing algorithms are struggling since past history isn't of much use, putting more pressure on the pricing and revenue teams to deal with a lot of flights. Probably similar to the rental cars, though I do wonder, as noted above, if the fact that they shipped so many cars back to the states this year will also influence availability and rates, if things do open back up on Maui.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We too have 3 wks in Kauai and 6 wks on BI in Jan - Mar for our annual winter getaway to HI. For sure, our car rental costs are higher this year, esp in Lihue.

Typically, the car rental companies will stay open until all scheduled flights arrive even extending if flights are late - so they say! With regard to booking monthly rates for shorter stays, some companies have started charging extra fees for early returns.

I actually have a $100 rental for 3 wks for a minivan in Lihue booked with Dollar thru a broker. For sure, it was a glitch and wonder if Dollar will honor the reservation?? It does show up on Dollars website at the $100 price.

Of course, I have backup reservations with another company.

At this point, Covid cases are increasing in HI - so not looking promising that the 2 week quarantine will be lifted and just found out that the BI is not allowing the quarantine to be done in timeshares. I did not even realize that our BI timeshare has been closed and tentatively scheduled to reopen in mid Sept. One of 3 Kauai Timeshares is also currently closed and have not yet checked the 2 Marriott resorts. So lots of uncertainty right now with their upcoming winter HI vacation.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We too have 3 wks in Kauai and 6 wks on BI in Jan - Mar for our annual winter getaway to HI. For sure, our car rental costs are higher this year, esp in Lihue.

Typically, the car rental companies will stay open until all scheduled flights arrive even extending if flights are late - so they say! With regard to booking monthly rates for shorter stays, some companies have started charging extra fees for early returns.

I actually have a $100 rental for 3 wks for a minivan in Lihue booked with Dollar thru a broker. For sure, it was a glitch and wonder if Dollar will honor the reservation?? It does show up on Dollars website at the $100 price.

Of course, I have backup reservations with another company.

At this point, Covid cases are increasing in HI - so not looking promising that the 2 week quarantine will be lifted and just found out that the BI is not allowing the quarantine to be done in timeshares. I did not even realize that our BI timeshare has been closed and tentatively scheduled to reopen in mid Sept. One of 3 Kauai Timeshares is also currently closed and have not yet checked the 2 Marriott resorts. So lots of uncertainty right now with their upcoming winter HI vacation.

It will be VERY interesting to see if Dollar Rental Car will honor the $100 three week price. What a bargain! By the way, does that vehicle come with tires? LOL

Keep all of us posted, and hope you do get the car without spending another nickel.....!