• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

shock wave lithotripty

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a 8mm Kidney Stone, and my physician has scheduled a Shock Wave Lithotripy for 9/4/08.

The procedure if $15,000. My current insurance will pay all but $2,000.

On 10/1/08, I qualify for Medicare and purchased an AARP Supplement that will pay the entire cost if I can wait until 10/1/08.

The pain can be intense, but comes and goes. I've been controlling the pain with Oxycodone prescribed by my Urologist.

I'd sure like to wait and avoid the cost, if possible. I have a call in to my physician to discuss this. But, I'm wondering how long others have had a kidney stone before they opted for this type of procedure?

ttt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stones can last for years and the pain only comes when the stone is on the move. I don't see a problem waiting if you can control the pain & the stone is not causing an infection.

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also consider that lithtripy is about 50% successful according to most studies and most kidney doctors. . my son had this done last month. He went through two weeks of intense - very intense - - nausea and pain after the procedure until all the particles had passed and his stone was larger than yours. At first they thought he still had a 5mm stone left after the lithotripy and they were planning on going in and getting it, but when he went for that procedure and they x-rayed him again, it was either gone or he had passed it.

He has said in the future, he will tell them to just go and get it. The relief is immediate. My brother has had about 12 kidney stones, and has been through all the methods over the years; he, and my sister-in-law have also said to avoid the lithotripy and have them just go in and take it out.

So you may want to consider you alternatives carefully and realize you may still have a lot of pain after this procedures . . .

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Also consider that lithtripy is about 50% successful according to most studies and most kidney doctors. . my son had this done last month. He went through two weeks of intense - very intense - - nausea and pain after the procedure until all the particles had passed and his stone was larger than yours. At first they thought he still had a 5mm stone left after the lithotripy and they were planning on going in and getting it, but when he went for that procedure and they x-rayed him again, it was either gone or he had passed it.

He has said in the future, he will tell them to just go and get it. The relief is immediate. My brother has had about 12 kidney stones, and has been through all the methods over the years; he, and my sister-in-law have also said to avoid the lithotripy and have them just go in and take it out.

So you may want to consider you alternatives carefully and realize you may still have a lot of pain after this procedures . . .

Thanks for the information.

That's a side of the story I haven't heard. My Urologist didn't talk about any of the side affects, or the low success rate. Why not?

I'd like to wait until 10/1 when I'll have 100% coverage. I'll have to do a little more research, so that gives me another good reason to postpone this procedure.

I've been considering seeing another Urologist 10/1 mostly because I don't care for the choice of hospitals where he practices. But, I'll stick with him for the pain medication until I get closer to the 10/1 date.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had my son with natural childbirth, no painkillers, NOT my idea.

Two years ago I had a kidney stone, 10 times worse than childbirth.

You have my heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery.

I have now added potent painkillers to the list of things I take when traveling.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I had a kidney stone, 10 times worse than childbirth.

Wow! I guess that'll give me some lopsided "bragging" rights at the old folks home. I seem to be fading fast.

davesdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had about 10 stones so far. My first one they went in, and took it out. (this was the worst of the treatments I had.)
I had the litho treatment 5 times, worked every time, and worst part was inserting the IV.
4 I just passed, and 3 were horrible, but 2 of those passed while waiting for treatment. The other one got stuck, and became infected. I had a temp of 103, they put me in the hospital, inserted a stent (ouch), and gave me antibiotics for 2 days.:bawl:

Almost everybody on my moms side of the family gets them too!!!