• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Kauai Resort (Poipu) – April 14-21, 2023 One bedroom Unit Review

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
This was the second week of a two week trip my husband and I took to an island we have been to many times but never to this resort.

The Resort: The resort is quite lovely and consists of a hotel section on the beach side and a timeshare section across a small road. Main lobby and check in are on the timeshare side. The staff are wonderful. Each side has a fitness center and the TS side has a large business center. The beach and pool area are beautiful and there is a large, causual, open air restaurant/bar there that is open 7am-9pm. Almost every day there is live music there during lunch time that lasts for several hours. Prices are reasonable and the service is very good. There is also a fine dining restaurant Rum Fire that is open only Th-F-Sa evenings. It is also right on the coast and is a lovely large room with lots of windows but it is not open air (?!?). It is completely enclosed and was freezing when I popped in to take a look. They have a menu online with no prices (we did not eat there).

Our unit loction: We were given 5102 which was a ground floor unit looking at a pretty garden area and lots of greenery and was quiet. Very close to the large self-park area. Overall we liked the location a lot except for the caveat below about the sliding lanai doors.

The unit: was really disappointing and SMALL – 438 sq ft. I thought they had brought us to a studio by mistake. (By contrast the Westin Princeville where we spent our first week is 1 ft short of 800 sq ft.) The unit is designed like a studio; one rectangular room with everything in it except the bed room which is off to one side (which does have a door), but it feels like a studio. There is almost no storage anywhere in this unit. (The under bed space is unusable for suitcases or anything else.) The bedroom has a very small wardrobe with 2 small drawers and a ½ hanging area (picture below and the white linens hanging there are not ours). In order to even have that, that side of the bed has no bedside table but just small table attached to the wardrobe. The kitchen cabinets are crammed with kitchen supplies so what little counter area there is is quickly filled with food, coffee maker, paper towels etc. There is a small sink but no dining room or table, and the bit of counter space is completely unappealing for eating a meal. No space really to fix anything but very simple meals which we ate sitting on the couch.
IMG_1197.jpg

The bathroom is also part of the rectangular studio like configuration. These pictures help: Marriott Find & Reserve - Choose Dates, Rooms & Rates but they do not show the bathroom. The double sinks have no door and are behind the refrigerator and essentially open to the kitchen and living room. The very small shower/toilet room is behind the sinks and thankfully has a door. It is a very odd arrangement; I’ve never seen any bath area with so little privacy.

The truly annoying feature of these units is no screen door for the lanais. The choice is to sit glassed in with A/C or open the doors to the lanai and have flies around all week, which we did. And in our case, on the ground level, the occasional bird (one actually flew in) and roosters which we managed to fend off. But the flies were a given.

The Poipu area is back to life, no one is maksing and restaurants are booked ahead. Some of the shops are still having staffing issues. Koloa fish market is closed Sunday and Thursday (staffing) and the Dolphin fish market is only open Wed-Fri (same issue) but most everything else is running well.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Weren't the TS units previously used as hotel rooms? I've stayed at the property in a hotel room, and the room was nice, but I would not say they were the same level of amenities as a Princeville or WKORV style unit (even the studios there).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Zentraveler - did you review the floor plan & description online before reserving? The size of these units is a known issue:

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.17.00 PM.png

Last edited:

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is strange they didn’t just make the bathroom sinks part of the actual bathroom…it looks like a wall could have been put in to do just that. I have stayed in the oceanfront hotel rooms there, and I was wondering what the timeshares were like…it’s on such a nice beach. And I like the restaurant right there on the beach. But this layout does look strange. Not sure I would want my bathroom toiletries in the kitchen. But then it’s Kauai, so I’m sure I could deal with it! Thanks so much for the review. If I remember correctly, they have big cabanas at the pool area reasonably priced, although it was four years ago right before Covid.
Happy travels!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Zentraveler - did you review the floor plan & description online before reserving? The size of these units is a known issue:

View attachment 75775

Weren't the TS units previously used as hotel rooms? I've stayed at the property in a hotel room, and the room was nice, but I would not say they were the same level of amenities as a Princeville or WKORV style unit (even the studios there).

Yes, and we know that hotel conversions are not the same thing as purpose built. And we did not expect the Westin Princeville. We have stayed in hotel conversions 3 times at KBC and twice at MOC and they were all great experiences. All had storage (it has been a while but I think two closets for both them), dressers with drawers, two bathrooms, some dining area with a table and the feel of being in a bedroom unit. Good kitchens, not because they had any more actual equipment, but there was room to actually cook there. Thought they were all great.

Denise, we did know that the units were small but had no way of knowing how poorly they are designed to make it easy to settle into. We have stayed in cruise cabins with far less sqare footage but so well designed that they had a walk in closet and private bathroom. (But yes, no kitchen.) As we looked around last week we saw several place where a different simple different piece of furniture could have helped with drawers, underbed storage etc. And no more to say about the no screen doors. Some architect could probably fix that.

All that said, we loved the property, love Poipu. and would probably come back with a set of ready to eat meals, request for a high floor (we really don't mind the roosters but not as they are walking in our unit) and more restaurant reservations.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is strange they didn’t just make the bathroom sinks part of the actual bathroom…it looks like a wall could have been put in to do just that. I have stayed in the oceanfront hotel rooms there, and I was wondering what the timeshares were like…it’s on such a nice beach. And I like the restaurant right there on the beach. But this layout does look strange. Not sure I would want my bathroom toiletries in the kitchen. But then it’s Kauai, so I’m sure I could deal with it! Thanks so much for the review. If I remember correctly, they have big cabanas at the pool area reasonably priced, although it was four years ago right before Covid.
Happy travels!
Sorry I did not get a picture of this but there was a partial screen (i.e.see through) between the sinks and the kitchen, but mostly open. But it still felt strange to be brushing my teeth 8 feet from my husband still watching TV. And there was room for toiletries in the sink part on an open shelf below.

The really nice cabanas around the pool were $220/day, but they were sunny a lot of the day and did not seem well subscribed. There were some simpler on the grass near the beach that were $75 or maybe $120. The restaurant/pool/beach area was really great and the music was a real plus.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I did not get a picture of this but there was a partial screen (i.e.see through) between the sinks and the kitchen, but mostly open. But it still felt strange to be brushing my teeth 8 feet from my husband still watching TV. And there was room for toiletries in the sink part on an open shelf below.

The really nice cabanas around the pool were $220/day, but they were sunny a lot of the day and did not seem well subscribed. There were some simpler on the grass near the beach that were $75 or maybe $120. The restaurant/pool/beach area was really great and the music was a real plus.
Bummer about the really nice cabanas….they were $150 if I recall correctly when we were there, but I thought it was pretty good value If you had a group.
Good to hear about the roosters and the first floor! If we ever stay there, we will request something other than first floor! Enjoy your time!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bummer about the really nice cabanas….they were $150 if I recall correctly when we were there, but I thought it was pretty good value If you had a group.
Good to hear about the roosters and the first floor! If we ever stay there, we will request something other than first floor! Enjoy your time!
We are long used to roosters on Kauia and this year they seemed not to be starting at 4:30 am but later but it was a bit it was still a bit jarring experience to have them heading into the unit. All for lack of a screen door for the lanais. Other than that the first floor was very nice and had us on eye level with a lot of beautiful foliage.

Last edited:

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
We are currently staying at the Sheraton Kauai Villas in two 2BDs on a family vacation, checking out Saturday. We chose this over the Westin in Princeville because of the location. My expectations were not high because of mixed reviews, but we are very happy with the resort. Admittedly, the kitchen space is very tight, with no real counter space, but otherwise, it is nicely appointed and the location can't be beat.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently staying at the Sheraton Kauai Villas in two 2BDs on a family vacation, checking out Saturday. We chose this over the Westin in Princeville because of the location. My expectations were not high because of mixed reviews, but we are very happy with the resort. Admittedly, the kitchen space is very tight, with no real counter space, but otherwise, it is nicely appointed and the location can't be beat.
This is great to hear! Is the two bedroom basically a one bedroom (like the picture of the 1bdrm plans shown previously in this thread) with an attached second bedroom with its own bathroom? Or is it a different layout? Do you have a screen on your lanai door?
Have a wonderful time! I just love the beach there! And we really liked breakfast at the restaurant by the pool…and amazing view of the beach and ocean right there, and the tropical French toast was delicious! Aloha!

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
No screen on the lanai door. The layout is different from the 1BD pictured above.

1682460296536.png

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
That looks really nice! Weird about not hanging the screen, but only if you are on the first floor I’d think if the roosters try to join you! Lol.
Thanks for sending a picture of the layout. Have a great time!

blondietink

Reaction score
No screen on the lanai door. The layout is different from the 1BD pictured above.

View attachment 75862
We had the 2 bedroom also in November. Liked it a lot except for the lack of counter space. We had a villa on the top floor and had our lanai doors open a lot and didn't get any bugs or birds flying in. I am glad we opted for the 2 bedroom instead of the 1 bedroom as we have 4 adults.