• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Vacations options- Vino Bello Home TS

91kenny1

Reaction score
Wish I did my homework before jumping into this 1500 Pts Shell Vacations TS in 2007. I've read a lot on this site and have a few Q's from the wise....

I still owe on my initial purchase and I do like the resorts but I only get 1500 points / year. The home on this is in Napa Valley at the Vino Bello. Should I keep an eye out for 2500+ points at that particular home (like ebay) to keep MF costs down and have an enjoyable amount of points?

Also, if this is a standard timeshare vs. permanent, does that mean it will expire by the time Im retired and then cannot transfer to kids? I read a lot end around 2049? Gonna have to pull out the old contract I guess.

Vino Bello Home TS owners, what are your mf costs for higher point totals? My costs are around $520/year currently.

Would I have to pretty much give this TS away to get out of the mf since the points are so low? or even pay to get away from it:shrug:

Thanks in advance.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Too late for regrets

The idea of finding an additional 2.5k to 4k to add to your ownership makes sense, it will lower you cost per use, but it will cost more per year.
You will have to read your contract to see if yours expires or not, they sold them both ways.

If you wanted to get rid of this you would need to pay it off, pay the closing and transfer, and probably throw in some additional cash as the resale value of a 1.5k is minus 0.

Greg

Wish I did my homework before jumping into this 1500 Pts Shell Vacations TS in 2007. I've read a lot on this site and have a few Q's from the wise....

I still owe on my initial purchase and I do like the resorts but I only get 1500 points / year. The home on this is in Napa Valley at the Vino Bello. Should I keep an eye out for 2500+ points at that particular home (like ebay) to keep MF costs down and have an enjoyable amount of points?

Also, if this is a standard timeshare vs. permanent, does that mean it will expire by the time Im retired and then cannot transfer to kids? I read a lot end around 2049? Gonna have to pull out the old contract I guess.

Vino Bello Home TS owners, what are your mf costs for higher point totals? My costs are around $520/year currently.

Would I have to pretty much give this TS away to get out of the mf since the points are so low? or even pay to get away from it:shrug:

Thanks in advance.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a relatively small (but larger than yours) vino bello package for sale on TUG marketplace for $1.00/

From my own personal Shell research, I understand that it is better financially to buy additional points in the identical club to keep MFs down.

If your account has an expiration date, you won't be able to transfer it to anyone after that date. I don't see that as a bad thing. Imagine how much the MFs will be at that point. The ability to walk away from a TS is desirable in many aspects.

If you want to unload your membership, you will probably have to give it away or pay someone to take it. Before you consider that, you may want to attempt to get the best use out of your membership and see if you can make it worthwhile to keep it and use it. I know you have a small package, but don't you also have the ability to rent additional points from Shell for a very low cost? If so, that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

91kenny1

Reaction score
yeah, I can rent points from them if needed. They do have cheap rates in AZ during the bronze timeframes which I like to take advantage of. Nobody wants to be here when its hot but I live here so Im used to it. I would have to check into buying points directly from the vino bello, but wont they just want to sell me another timeshare basically to combine with mine? I figured I would buy one for a dollar to up my points and combine with my current one. Knowing that my MF would go up but it should be worth it. At least then I could try to stay somewhere good during a peak time.

Thats true, the expiration may not be a bad thing. Who wants to burden family with this bs unless its a permanent week in Hawaii or somewhere very nice.

91kenny1

Reaction score
ok I reread prestons reply,

buying a ts for the same property does seem to be best to keep the mf down and to stay away from multiple ts fees. Im pretty sure the CA vino bello is completely sold before the build anyway so going back to them for points isnt possible or practicle.
I wont get rid of my ts for some time. Ill at least try to get some of my moneys worth before dumping.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
ok I reread prestons reply,

buying a ts for the same property does seem to be best to keep the mf down and to stay away from multiple ts fees. Im pretty sure the CA vino bello is completely sold before the build anyway so going back to them for points isnt possible or practicle.
I wont get rid of my ts for some time. Ill at least try to get some of my moneys worth before dumping.

Here's the truth: You can add to your points using eBay, and you can very likely get free usage for this current year. I haven't checked lately. You didn't buy at Vino Bello, you bought in the California Club. If you get additional points in the CA Club, then you will actually save money per point in MF's. The more you own, the less expensive they become.

You pay for II membership in your dues, and you pay a fixed amount of cash for the first 1,350 points. Additional points are a little under 17 cents each in MF's.

The ideal is to own about 12K points because you get several free housekeepings. Transaction fees are still applicable, no matter how you buy, I believe.

Never buy in multiple clubs; always stay in the club you own. So don't buy Hawaii, if you already have CA, or you pay that II fee and the minimum amount for the first 1,350 points (very expensive MF's).

I own 12,225 Shell points and would never buy another point. But I own a lot of timeshares in other systems and independents.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Expiration

I'm pretty sure that any SVC points that have end dates are the Hawaii Club due to the unique rules in Hawaii.

I have never heard of anything other than permanent for the California Club.