• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Vacations Club Owners are being mislead by Club Wyndham opportunity

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and posting for the first time. With so many different stories and experiences, frustration and aggravation, I felt compelled to join and share the real facts and truth for all Shell Vacations Club owners. If you're an SVC Owner that is contemplating or has decided to move into Wyndham, here's what you should know...

1. If you were told that you could enroll/ migrate/ affiliate/move individual or specific contracts, that's INCORRECT. The correct answer is that you can choose which Clubs (Hawaii, West...), but that all contracts within that Club have to go.
2. If you were told that the only way to take advantage of this opportunity was to buy Club Wyndham points, that's not entirely accurate. If you made a purchase of SVC points anytime between October 1, 2018 and when they stopped selling, you're already qualified with a $189 processing fee. If you fall into this category and were still told you had to buy Wyndham, they LIED.
3. If you were told specifically, or it was implied, that Wyndham VIP benefits will work at Shell properties...INCORRECT. Wyndham VIP absolutely does not and will not work at Shell locations...no discounts, no upgrades, no requesting specific units...nothing. If you were told something to the contrary; they LIED.
4. If you're a Prestige owner or a grandfathered Elite owner did they inform you of the benefits you lose? Hope you aren't using The Registry Collection because that disappears. Your RCI Platinum membership and $99 exchange fee disappears too. Your ability to get amazing discounts on upscale places around the world disappears. If you have grandfathered status, that disappears too. If you knew what you were losing would your decision be different.
5. Did they tell you that only current use year points enroll/ migrate/ affiliate/move? Everything else like banked points, bonus points, weeks for deposit points, etc, are lost. That'd be nice to know.
6. Were you told that ALL Shell properties would still be accessible from Wyndham? That's not 100% true.
7. Did they tell you that you Shell points become just like the Wyndham points you bought? Not true. Your Shell points do NOT have reservation priority at any Wyndham locations, only the original SVC home club they came from. Your Shell points do NOT qualify to be used with specific Wyndham benefits like purchased Wyndham points do. For example, if I own 7000 Shell West club points that become 280,000 Wyndham points and bought 145,000 Wyndham points to do it, my account would total 425,000 and I'd be VIP Silver. I want to make a reservation at Vino Bello. I'd have 280,000 I could use 13-10 months in advance and 145,000 I could use at 10 months or less. I'd have NO VIP benefits at Vino. If I wanted to make a reservation at a Club Wyndham resort, the opposite would hold true and I'd have access to VIP benefits. If I wanted to make a reservation at a Shell Hawaii property in this example, as of today, I would only be able to use my 280,000 points...the 145,000 WON'T work until the Shell Hawaii properties become part of Club Wyndham. I'd have NO VIP benefits either. Without something in writing are you willing to gamble?

If you made a purchase because you were misled, lied to, or not fully informed I bet you're feeling angry right now.

My suggestion, fight back...get out of your purchase that was made under false pretenses. Tell your fellow owners to do the same. Warn others before they make the same mistake. Ask to see everything in writing.

Take a stand against dishonesty and deception by sharing this with everyone you know.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting; it sounds like you got raked over the coals. Please
let us all here know if you find some resolution moving forward.

I do have a question about your point #3.

3. If you were told specifically, or it was implied, that Wyndham VIP benefits will work at Shell properties...INCORRECT. Wyndham VIP absolutely does not and will not work at Shell locations...no discounts, no upgrades, no requesting specific units...nothing. If you were told something to the contrary; they LIED.

I've been a Wyndham VIP owner for quite a while; never a Shell owner. I just
tried a 2-months-out reservation at Vino Bello, and got back the attached screenshot.

Weirdly, it both contains the text "VIP Benefits Do Not Apply" and also shows
the 50% discount I would expect with my Platinum ownership. I was gonna venture
a guess that it had something to do with prior Wyndham-owned inventory versus
recent acquired-from-Shell inventory (it's been possible on rare occasion for me to
use Vino Bello for years), but that would be guessing.

Hopefully one of the TUGgers more familiar with Shell will help clear up this mystery.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.11.10 AM.png

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weirdly, it both contains the text "VIP Benefits Do Not Apply" and also shows
the 50% discount I would expect with my Platinum ownership.
I've understood the phrase "VIP Benefits Do Not Apply" to mean that the resort is managed by someone other than Wyndham. So, no VIP check-in line, no newspaper, etc. However, points-based booking is done by Wyndham no matter who the management company of the resort happens to be, so there is a way to provide the VIP discount bookings.

Reaction score
There are currently 9 Shell properties that a Club Wyndham Owner can book. These properties are classified as Associate Resorts...refer to page 145 of the current CW catalog. First bullet point on that page is "VIP status and benefits are not recognized or available". If one looks further for example at the CW VIP brochure; the ability to get room upgrades is footnoted and states "available only at Club Wyndham Plus resorts" or the ability to request specific units is footnoted and states "available only at Wyndham managed locations". I guess at the end of the day if the online system is giving you a discount, take it...but everything in print says otherwise...especially the other perks of being VIP. Maybe you're lucky...go play the lottery...lol.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are currently 9 Shell properties that a Club Wyndham Owner can book. These properties are classified as Associate Resorts...refer to page 145 of the current CW catalog. First bullet point on that page is "VIP status and benefits are not recognized or available". If one looks further for example at the CW VIP brochure; the ability to get room upgrades is footnoted and states "available only at Club Wyndham Plus resorts" or the ability to request specific units is footnoted and states "available only at Wyndham managed locations". I guess at the end of the day if the online system is giving you a discount, take it...but everything in print says otherwise...especially the other perks of being VIP. Maybe you're lucky...go play the lottery...lol.

Affiliate resorts have always been treated as part of the "Club Wyndham Plus resorts" system. That is how you can book them online. Thay are usually not managed by wyndham however.

Reaction score
There are two distinctions; Affiliate Resorts are not developed or managed by Wyndham, Associate Resorts fall under the other brands like Shell, CW Asia Pacific, Wyndham hotels, etc.

As a side note, I just confirmed that a Shell owner who moves their points into Wyndham will only have access back to the home club the points came from. For example, if I owned Hawaii I would only be able to reserve back to Shell Hawaii...no Shell West/Americana locations. The opposite holds true of course...no Shell Hawaii locations for the West/Americana owners.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Shell was my first ts buy, i stayed at every resort then gave up my club membership and got better points for my deeds from the club at Diamond Resorts. In 2006 i traded 3 weeks straightup for 3 airfares to Europe, a great deal at the time, no bureaucracy.

Sad to hear ... likely it will be a similar story with the Sheraton-Westin transfer to Marriott.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Seems like there should be some type of recourse against these sales people and the organizations that either allow or perpetrate this behavior. I mean it's one thing to fight to get your money back, but that doesn't prevent the next person from getting burned by the same person or company. Are timeshare companies or sales people regulated by laws or standards that would provide a forum to report deceptive practices?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Seems like there should be some type of recourse against these sales people and the organizations that either allow or perpetrate this behavior. I mean it's one thing to fight to get your money back, but that doesn't prevent the next person from getting burned by the same person or company. Are timeshare companies or sales people regulated by laws or standards that would provide a forum to report deceptive practices?
Agree. Unfortunately each country and USA state has different laws regulating whether you can even record what they say. Someone posted the info here or on a fb group. Without audio or video, tough to do anything.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I understand your point about having the necessary proof. After reading so many other posts it seems like there's a common theme that would lend itself to a class action suit or official complaint to an attorney general or regulated industries control office type of thing. Don't know if that would get any traction though.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Any info on the truth of the statement that people who stick w Shell will have less and less available inventory available as people move to Wyndham? Personally I don’t think Shell’s structure (which they are stuck with) will allow that.

Even if true, I think it will take a long time to really impact me.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our last presentation was a few years ago, and it was at Donatello while staying at Suites at Fisherman's Wharf. The pitch was a lot about the Wyndham credit card. He knew we owned a lot of Shell points, but he didn't really talk about anything Wyndham, except that stupid credit card. He kept saying we would get 10X points on everything we buy. I told him to prove it to me. He couldn't prove anything. I basically told him how dishonest it is to say something like that, when it absolutely isn't true. I told the closing person the same thing. No proof means it isn't true. That is such a big lie, and I will never go on a Wyndham/Shell presentation again.

So sorry, if you got sucked in. Sounds like you did. If there is time to rescind, please do. I would also write a letter to tell them how wicked that salesperson was.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Any info on the truth of the statement that people who stick w Shell will have less and less available inventory available as people move to Wyndham? Personally I don’t think Shell’s structure (which they are stuck with) will allow that.

Even if true, I think it will take a long time to really impact me.

This is one of the biggest fears that sales people like to foster.

Any type of these conversion programs only have a small impact on availability... mainly because the conversion is essentially just the same as the owner using their Shell points - which be definition reduces availability.

The governing documents of SVC still apply... and physical units are not transferred during a conversion (something only a BoD could authorize)... and owners are only assigning their usage rights in exchange.

I have heard this same line/lie about the Marriott Destinations points program for years...

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is one of the biggest fears that sales people like to foster.

Any type of these conversion programs only have a small impact on availability... mainly because the conversion is essentially just the same as the owner using their Shell points - which be definition reduces availability.

The governing documents of SVC still apply... and physical units are not transferred during a conversion (something only a BoD could authorize)... and owners are only assigning their usage rights in exchange.

I have heard this same line/lie about the Marriott Destinations points program for years...
Agree 100% last Sheraton presentation it was their main focus. They claimed i would lose rights to my current trading network, lose all points, and revert to deeded week only.