• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Vacation Club

CodyY

Reaction score
I bought reasale (6750points for ~$300 including closing & first years use).

I have use of the extra weeks in RCI 700 points for anything 45days out. Keep in mind that as of Jan 2012, RCI will no longer be the exchange company... it will be interval international and they may or may not have that perk

Noted. Thanks.

JROBIN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii ensures you 3 days to recind, so no worries there.

I realize they have to make a living (and a profit), but if we plan to do one week-long trip a year annually, for the next 30 years; $8000 to get in now doesn't seem like a bad idea to swallow. Then i can buy points on the secondary market if it suits me. Mind you, with Shell the points are acquired annually and not one-time.

I see lots of people discussing the cost of points from Shell, but theyre not a one shot deal, the points are added annually for the one-time price. From what I've been reading all the points on the secondary market are a one-shot deal.

Like i said above, if you like to go one place every year this may not be for you, gowever the incentive of a $275 (off-season studio) to $950/wk (peak seaso 2br) nearly anywhere id ever want to go is incredibly appealing, however im still cautious.

Thanks for the insight, keep em comin.

I think there is a misunderstanding that the points being offered on E-Bay for free are only a 1 time use. The Shell point packages are for the total amount of points each year. I do not know if they even offer EOY point packages, but the E-bay descriptions are usually very clear that the points are awarded annually and they are being given away with no closing or transfer costs at all. Here is an auction for 6,650 annual points from a well known postcard reseller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-650-Point...50917230885?pt=Timeshares&hash=item3a6bd51925

This auction is not only giving away the points for free (7,500 annual points), but offering a $50 gift card to take them off of their hands:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-500-SHELL...50680516715?pt=Timeshares&hash=item231542386b

Please take some time to investigate this further and if you are still convinced that Shell is a good fit for you, the same deal will be available later, but your clock is ticking on your right to rescind on your current deal.

I actually own 2 units at the Kona Coast Resort, which is managed by Shell, but I do not own points and pay a lower maintenance fee because I do not own points. I use my units annually, so I do not have any interest in converting my deeds to the Shell points plan.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have 8k to flush down the toilet

Go ahead, just remember that 1250 points won't get you more than 2 days in Hawaii, so you will be paying for 2 annual fees to get about 5 days, on top of that $8000 will be gone the minute the rescind period ends as you can't give away that ownership.:bawl:

The Ebay units are ownerships, not rentals of one use year, these sold by Shell for Big Bucks and now are being given away to get away from the excessively high annual fees.:shrug:

I realize that you are still basking in the warm glow of all the manure the timeshare weasel feed you, but in the cold light of reality this is a terrible deal from a so-so company that will haunt you and your wallet for many years.

Mark my words, RESCIND your deal now, then research and you will see that we here do in fact know what we are taking about.

I have turned down several 7500,12000,20000 Shell point packages for free with the seller paying all costs and this years fees because next year and forever after I would be losing money as I can't rent these out for more than the annual fee.

jmho,

Greg

Hawaii ensures you 3 days to recind, so no worries there.

I realize they have to make a living (and a profit), but if we plan to do one week-long trip a year annually, for the next 30 years; $8000 to get in now doesn't seem like a bad idea to swallow. Then i can buy points on the secondary market if it suits me. Mind you, with Shell the points are acquired annually and not one-time.

I see lots of people discussing the cost of points from Shell, but theyre not a one shot deal, the points are added annually for the one-time price. From what I've been reading all the points on the secondary market are a one-shot deal.

Like i said above, if you like to go one place every year this may not be for you, gowever the incentive of a $275 (off-season studio) to $950/wk (peak seaso 2br) nearly anywhere id ever want to go is incredibly appealing, however im still cautious.

Thanks for the insight, keep em comin.

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cody, I was one of the original authors of this thread:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44941

Read through it (if you haven't already) to get a better insight into how Shell works. There have been a few changes since it was first written, the most notable being the upcoming switch from RCI to II on January 1, 2012, but for the most part, it will give you some good perspectives on the program.

We are HUGE Shell fans! We love their properties and the service from their staff, particularly at their Hawaii properties. BUT ... we purchased all our points on the resale market. There are some benefits that you get from purchasing directly from Shell, but IMO, they are definitely not worth the differential you pay by going direct versus resale. We definitely don't think their annual maintenance fees are expensive for what you get, compared to similar properties, but again, it makes sense for us because we paid pennies on the dollar for the original purchase.

So I'm not sure if you understand fully, so I'll just lay out how the payments work. You have to purchase points first, and that's just to get the rights to use them every year; sort of equivalent to buying the deed (but not really, it's a trust). So for example, let's say you bought 5,000 points for X dollars (we paid almost nothing for the original purchase on the resale market). Then EVERY year, you have to pay a maintenance fee on those 5,000 points. Your total bill will vary because you pay a club fee of $150 PLUS a base fee for a certain first number of points PLUS a per point fee for every point over the base. So, the more points you have, the less expensive the per point fee becomes because you are spreading the club fee and the base fee over a larger denominator. We have enough points to give us 2 weeks in a 2-bedroom at the Kona Coast in high season, or almost 3 weeks in a 1-bedroom in the same timeframe. With this number of points, we pay roughly 19 cents per point. If you do the math, you'll see that this is a great price for what we get (you're at the Kona Coast, so you know how lovely it is) BUT only because we're not factoring in a large purchase price at the front end.

Good luck, and please do re-think your decision while you still can and you're in the recission period. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

CodyY

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was unclear on the annual/one-time.

I sabe now, that's why I'm here. I'm very active on several motorcycle forums and gun forums and know the depth of knowledge that exists.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Discussion of this company is in the "Other TS" board so I'm moving this thread there.