• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell to wyndham conversion MF

VacayKat

Reaction score
We converted our Shell to Wyndham. We had Hawaii and west contracts. It happened to transfer just after Shell sent out last year’s MF notice so I have a comparison. It can’t quite be apples to apples because Wyndham points are more diluted (transfer in was 40:1 wyndham to shell) So I tried to show the math.
But in case anyone is wondering here are my calculations:
Hawaii Shell MF fees would have been $0.24 plus $0.4(AOAO fee)/pt; with Wyndham $7.08/1000 pt - at conversion to similar units Shell would be $7.08/1000pts
Hawaii West MF fees would have been $0.258; with Wyndham $6.45/1000pt - at conversion to similar units Shell would be $6.45/1000pts.
So everything seems kosher.... but wait. Wyndham fees are higher for their program fee....

With Shell you paid a single club fee (can not remember how this was calculated but I think it’s a flat fee plus a small amount per point thereafter), with Wyndham it is per point (our shell costs would have been $0.1367/pt and wyndham is $0.66/pt)- even with the conversion to similar pts, Shell would have been $0.5468/pt, so about 11 cents lower.
Albeit we had a large Shell ownership to begin with, but our MF costs went up a little over $415 per year on the Shell converted weeks. One of the big pushes sales made to induce folks to convert was the concept that fees would go down (riiiiiiiight)... so that is the math for anyone who comes up against sales. It’s also helpful if you're just considering conversion.
That said, if you have a small contract where the cost per point for you club fees is higher with Shell you might see a reduction in MF, but I don’t know that converting in that instance would pay off as you’d probably just continue to stay where you normally did with Shell, as you don’t really gain much inventory advantage with small wyndham contracts.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We own 25,300 Shell Points, lots of contracts. I would never convert to Wyndham, unless they offered a super bargain deal. Now if they offered WorldMark with Travelshare, I would consider it.

Shell is expensive to own. A unit at Little Sweden for summer is a cost of about $1,500 for 2 bed, 2 bath.

Points are arbitrary, they are based on each individual system, so equating what Shell costs in MF's to actually reserve something vs. Wyndham's MF and costs to reserve the same thing, those are the numbers that are important. 40:1 is Wyndham's best guess what they are worth. I cannot imagine the points being worthy of a purchase to convert.

How much did you pay, how many points? Did you get platinum?

VacayKat

Reaction score
To convert we paid 0. We did however buy a contract with Wyndham points to do so without a cost. When it finally converted all of our existing Shell reservations remained AND they gave us those points in Wyndham for the year. I wouldn‘t expect that in the future if they have worked out the kinks. We have founders level but that is in part because originally shell recorded some resale contracts wrong so even though they didn’t count as elite in Shell when they transferred they did count to VIP in Wyndham, so go figure.
Cost to rent hawaii is usually what I go by for apples to apples as that’s where we normally rent - Shell converted points renting Shell properties in Wyndham inventory is roughly equivalent to renting Shell inventory properties with Shell points- but like I said, MF per point is higher when all is said and done.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
To convert we paid 0. We did however buy a contract with Wyndham points to do so without a cost. When it finally converted all of our existing Shell reservations remained AND they gave us those points in Wyndham for the year. I wouldn‘t expect that in the future if they have worked out the kinks. We have founders level but that is in part because originally shell recorded some resale contracts wrong so even though they didn’t count as elite in Shell when they transferred they did count to VIP in Wyndham, so go figure.
Cost to rent hawaii is usually what I go by for apples to apples as that’s where we normally rent - Shell converted points renting Shell properties in Wyndham inventory is roughly equivalent to renting Shell inventory properties with Shell points- but like I said, MF per point is higher when all is said and done.
What? You paid 0 but paid for a Wyndham points contract. That is not zero.

Normally rent Hawaii? I think your post is confusing. Perhaps you can explain it better. Not that I would ever get more Wyndham points.

VacayKat

Reaction score
At the point we converted there was no fee, however you needed to have a wyndham contract. My understanding is that 0 to convert is no longer the case and there is a fee in addition to having a wyndham contract. I guess it could depend on where you are how that all falls out when they make you a conversion offer. So yes, there was an out of pocket but it’s basically what anyone would have paid to buy a Wyndham contract, there was no additional conversion fee.

When I said cost to rent, meant reserve- so essentially what it cost me to reserve a place in hawaii with shell points, it’s the same in Wyndham when you factor in the 40:1 ratio. MF (I include the club fee in MF because it’s all the cost I pay) are higher overall however so the actual $ amount I pay for any reservation is more with Wyndham.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
At the point we converted there was no fee, however you needed to have a wyndham contract. My understanding is that 0 to convert is no longer the case and there is a fee in addition to having a wyndham contract. I guess it could depend on where you are how that all falls out when they make you a conversion offer. So yes, there was an out of pocket but it’s basically what anyone would have paid to buy a Wyndham contract, there was no additional conversion fee.

When I said cost to rent, meant reserve- so essentially what it cost me to reserve a place in hawaii with shell points, it’s the same in Wyndham when you factor in the 40:1 ratio. MF (I include the club fee in MF because it’s all the cost I pay) are higher overall however so the actual $ amount I pay for any reservation is more with Wyndham.

How many points did you have to buy to make this conversion?

VacayKat

Reaction score
I don’t remember if you had to make a purchase or if you just had to have a Wyndham contract- what we did won’t be representative of anyone else’s offer or decision tree when determining whether to convert or not. I also do not remember the lowest contract Wyndham will sell (84k seems to ring a bell but not confident that is it). [We decided to convert in early 2019 and Wyndham finally got their act together to make it happen Nov/Dec 2020, so two years later there is unlikely to be a comparison]
My purpose in this thread was simply to show that the ongoing costs are not lower with Wyndham, in fact they are likely to be higher, which should factor into the decision on whether to convert or not. While it’s obviously a tactic, lower MF fees were heavily pushed as a reason to convert.