• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

sharp TV

cmdmfr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of looking for a new sharp TV between 40 inch to a 65 inch can anyone tell me where to look for a reasonable price and someone that will back up their service. I have a older sharp 55 inch and am very pleased with it we have a best buy and HH Gregg but just wanted to know if there were any other places that I may be able to save some money with the purchase.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would suggest Costco for pricing and warranty. Two of our three flat screens are Sharp models and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sharp again.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would suggest Costco for pricing and warranty. Two of our three flat screens are Sharp models and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sharp again.
Sharp are pulling out of the US TV market. Soon sharp will be a label stuck on cheap Chinese flat screens. Not what you have historically been buying.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Samsung is the top choice today, imho.......never a problem. Have several in our home, including a new 78" 4K Ultra HD Curved TV. Beyond amazing.

altho I got all of mine at Best Buy, Costco carries a few of the Samsungs.....

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own both a Samsung and a Panasonic.

Panasonic, hands down.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Avoid Vizio. We have 3 of them, and 2 have developed power on problems. If you pull the plug out of the wall, then they will power up okay.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the internet

Just google the model you wish to purchase and see what comes up. Our last purchase in CA came from a major East Coast supplier. It was several hundred less than any local store including Best Buy.
You could also go to Best Buy show them the ad price and see if they will match the price.
We got a significant refund that way once on their Best price guarantee.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in the process of moving from NYS to Florida. We brought no furniture from the north with us. After researching we purchased 4 new TVs. Various sizes from 32-55 inches. All are Samsung. Best Buy was the best price.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sharp are pulling out of the US TV market. Soon sharp will be a label stuck on cheap Chinese flat screens. Not what you have historically been buying.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info on Sharp's fortunes. I have two Sharp flat screens, one smart and the older one not. They have given me great service. My latest purchase last year for the bedroom was a Samsung from Costco, and while I'm not in the market at the moment, I will do my research before making my next move.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but definitely worth mentioning.

Very few people take the time to calibrate their TV after bringing it home, and that's a big mistake for a number of reasons. Also, if purchasing at Best Buy, DON'T fall into their sales tactic of up-selling you into a home visit to have one of their techs do it for you.

You've taken the time to research the best TV, so don't blow it by pulling it out of the box and not calibrating it ;)

You can do it yourself, it's fun, and you'll learn a few things in the process.

I highly recommend the Disney World of Wonder (WOW) Blu Rays.

As someone that spent their career viewing some of the finest monitors made, and critiquing images, I can assure you these discs are worth every penny. And contrary to what BB tells you, they will calibrate your TV every bit as good or better than their teenage tech.

Business opportunity: offer calibration services to bars & restaurants, businesses, etc. because I don't think I've ever been in one single establishment that had their TV's calibrated properly. I can tell from across the room.

disney-wow-world-of-wonder-blu-ray-fbig_zpshgdczbjr.jpg

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
When we first went the LCD route we settled on Samsung. Have only been disappointed by how long it takes for them to turn on! No problem with any of them over the last 8 years.

More recently we have went with LG LED's and have been extremely happy with both our 55 and 40" additions.

Like Phydeaux suggested, the first thing we do when we get them home is calibrate them.

Here's a link to some reviews for you http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/55-inch/best

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 60" Samsung last year at BB on clearance for $720. Comparable model was about $1100 on a good sale. It's amazing and took some getting used to the lifelike picture.

I would also check Tiger Direct. BB will price match them.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sort of on and off topic: (Now that the swearing and tears have stopped, you can read along, and laugh with me over this. :))

I've owned a larger Sharp Aquos flat screen for several years, and have been very pleased with it. So when I needed a second set, it was easy: I bought a 43" Sharp Aquos from Costco.com for a smaller sitting area off my kitchen. It was at a great price, free shipping, and came in quickly, so I was really looking forward to getting it mounted on the wall. I bought a tilt/swivel articulated mount, and I was all set. Last Saturday, I started the process. As the saying goes - "And then the trouble started."

After carefully measuring the wall where the mount needed to go, I discovered the tilt/swivel base needed to go exactly in the empty space between the studs. And I knew that wouldn't work. Called my brother, the contractor, and he told me all about how to cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to span the distance, paint it the color of the wall, and mount the bracket to that. I opted not to do that, because the TV needs to fit as flush to the wall as possible.

So out to the car I go, and I returned the tilt/swivel mount bracket to Costco, and I bought a different style, that I know mounts more flush. I gave up the flexibility of swinging the TV out from the wall so it could be seen from the kitchen, for the convenience of knowing it'll fit the wall space. (Insert my profanity-laced tirade over dealing with a refund on Saturday at Costco. My spouse is a Refund Cashier at Costco, I know you should NEVER go for a refund at Costco on a Saturday! We don't even shop there on weekends! But I digress...)

I finally get the second bracket mounted, and attach the TV. I get the wires routed, connect to the stereo, I get everything put back together, and the furniture placed back, and I'm SO very proud of my handyman skills. It looks AWESOME! I sit down in "my" chair with a cold beverage, pick up the TV remote, and then I turned on the TV for the first time...

You guessed it: There is a HUGE flaw in the screen!!! What the *&^@$*%!!! It has some sort of internal damage to the edge of the LCD that creates a swirling half-moon shape arcing down the left side of the screen. Absolutely no way it's even watchable. (Insert more cussing here. Lots more...)

I know it's a factory thing, and not Costco's fault, but it also means I have to take everything apart, repack the TV, and go back to Costco AGAIN, for ANOTHER Saturday refund. &$%#^*! Double &$%#^*!!!

After what seems like hours later, I finally get my refund, and I go to buy another TV. And guess what? NO Sharp Aquos sets in the store. They have a lot of other sets, nice pictures, nice features, but nothing that is the size I want. Do I go shop elsewhere? Do I buy another Sharp online and take my chances? I want my TV now, not next week. I finally decide on a slightly larger TV, a 48" Samsung set. It has an excellent picture, and was only a little more expensive than what I'd spent for the Sharp. I muscle it out to the car, and load 'er up.

So I get the Samsung home, unpack it, and the first thing I do is turn it on to check the picture - it's fine. Yay! Something finally has gone right! I mount the brackets on the back of the set, and go to hang it on the wall. But the design of the back is different, and the brackets mount higher than on the other TV, so the TV is hanging much lower on the wall than the other one. Crap! This simply won't do.

So, back to the garage I go, getting out all the tools again, and after much measuring and leveling and drilling and such, the bracket is now mounted several inches higher on the wall. The TV is carefully hung on the wall, and everything goes back into place. Once again, I sit down in "my" chair with a cold beverage, I pick up the TV remote and I turn it on, biting my lip...

And it's perfect. Yeah!!! My little quickie honey-do project only took me SEVEN HOURS, and used a whole lot more of my Saturday than I'd planned. But the six o'clock news never looked so good. Now I know if I ever need to hang another TV on the wall, I'm totally prepared.

And before I ever do anything with a new TV again, I will turn it on ahead of time, to make sure it's not messed up. Lesson seriously learned! :)

Dave

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Sort of on and off topic: (Now that the swearing and tears have stopped, you can read along, and laugh with me over this. :))

I've owned a larger Sharp Aquos flat screen for several years, and have been very pleased with it. So when I needed a second set, it was easy: I bought a 43" Sharp Aquos from Costco.com for a smaller sitting area off my kitchen. It was at a great price, free shipping, and came in quickly, so I was really looking forward to getting it mounted on the wall. I bought a tilt/swivel articulated mount, and I was all set. Last Saturday, I started the process. As the saying goes - "And then the trouble started."

After carefully measuring the wall where the mount needed to go, I discovered the tilt/swivel base needed to go exactly in the empty space between the studs. And I knew that wouldn't work. Called my brother, the contractor, and he told me all about how to cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to span the distance, paint it the color of the wall, and mount the bracket to that. I opted not to do that, because the TV needs to fit as flush to the wall as possible.

So out to the car I go, and I returned the tilt/swivel mount bracket to Costco, and I bought a different style, that I know mounts more flush. I gave up the flexibility of swinging the TV out from the wall so it could be seen from the kitchen, for the convenience of knowing it'll fit the wall space. (Insert my profanity-laced tirade over dealing with a refund on Saturday at Costco. My spouse is a Refund Cashier at Costco, I know you should NEVER go for a refund at Costco on a Saturday! We don't even shop there on weekends! But I digress...)

I finally get the second bracket mounted, and attach the TV. I get the wires routed, connect to the stereo, I get everything put back together, and the furniture placed back, and I'm SO very proud of my handyman skills. It looks AWESOME! I sit down in "my" chair with a cold beverage, pick up the TV remote, and then I turned on the TV for the first time...

You guessed it: There is a HUGE flaw in the screen!!! What the *&^@$*%!!! It has some sort of internal damage to the edge of the LCD that creates a swirling half-moon shape arcing down the left side of the screen. Absolutely no way it's even watchable. (Insert more cussing here. Lots more...)

I know it's a factory thing, and not Costco's fault, but it also means I have to take everything apart, repack the TV, and go back to Costco AGAIN, for ANOTHER Saturday refund. &$%#^*! Double &$%#^*!!!

After what seems like hours later, I finally get my refund, and I go to buy another TV. And guess what? NO Sharp Aquos sets in the store. They have a lot of other sets, nice pictures, nice features, but nothing that is the size I want. Do I go shop elsewhere? Do I buy another Sharp online and take my chances? I want my TV now, not next week. I finally decide on a slightly larger TV, a 48" Samsung set. It has an excellent picture, and was only a little more expensive than what I'd spent for the Sharp. I muscle it out to the car, and load 'er up.

So I get the Samsung home, unpack it, and the first thing I do is turn it on to check the picture - it's fine. Yay! Something finally has gone right! I mount the brackets on the back of the set, and go to hang it on the wall. But the design of the back is different, and the brackets mount higher than on the other TV, so the TV is hanging much lower on the wall than the other one. Crap! This simply won't do.

So, back to the garage I go, getting out all the tools again, and after much measuring and leveling and drilling and such, the bracket is now mounted several inches higher on the wall. The TV is carefully hung on the wall, and everything goes back into place. Once again, I sit down in "my" chair with a cold beverage, I pick up the TV remote and I turn it on, biting my lip...

And it's perfect. Yeah!!! My little quickie honey-do project only took me SEVEN HOURS, and used a whole lot more of my Saturday than I'd planned. But the six o'clock news never looked so good. Now I know if I ever need to hang another TV on the wall, I'm totally prepared.

And before I ever do anything with a new TV again, I will turn it on ahead of time, to make sure it's not messed up. Lesson seriously learned! :)

Dave

Welcome to my world Dave! I cannot begin to tell you how many times these "easy" projects have turned into nightmares! Seems to happen more often the older I get. I now have a new home surveillance system with 4 cameras POE NVR system I need to install. Had it for a week now and still getting my courage up to attack the installation process.