• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shadow Ridge Enclaves - Building Choice?

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I don't readily find a thread on specific building choices, so here goes - we'll have the master portion of a 2 bedroom at Shadow Ridge Enclaves for the first half of December. It has been quite a well since we've been there (Village wasn't quite complete) so I haven't a clue on buildings.
4400 appeals to me because of proximity to pool, spa and shuttle (which my husband may want, though he also likes to walk). 4200 is intriguing because it overlooks the golf course, but looks close to F. Sinatra Drive (noise?) Any comments on these or any of the others? High floor or first? Remember, this is Enclaves, not Village!
Thanks all.
Lisa

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was going to post same question. Have always stayed in Villas so wondering where in Enclaves also.

Bruyerebrit

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought at Enclaves when it opened and also own a week in the Villages, so I'm pretty familiar with the resort. Lisa, you hit the reasons that 4400 was (note "was") always my absolute favorite! If you like the pool view and hotel feel, this is THE building. I've always liked sitting outside and soaking in the "white noise" of kids playing, recorded (and occasionally live) poolside music and, for the last couple of years, whatever they play on the gorgeous new big screen TV. So, I've always requested 4400 but I haven't always got it during busy periods. A couple of years ago, we ended up in 4300, where the units also face the pool. However, many are screened by trees and are marginally further from the pool, depending on which end of the building you are in, so the "resort feel' wasn't as pronounced for me. This past summer, they were very busy and offered us 4500. I thought it couldn't be too bad, being so close to the pool. We trekked down to the unit and were immediately disappointed - significant road noise from Frank Sinatra Drive and you could see some traffic too - was this even the same resort?! One thing I love about Shadow Ridge is their excellent service, so a few minutes later we were heading over to 4200, to a second floor 2 BR unit. I was trying to hide my disappointment at being excluded from the poolside units for the first time in 10 years! That was soon forgotten though, as the golf view was very pleasant. The golf course actually slopes up a little away from that building and towards the road, so it not only hides the view of the street but also blocks most of the traffic noise (not that it's that busy a street). The 4200 building is also literally steps from an entrance to the pool, that actually takes you right to the Grill and Bar. After a week of that, my wife announced this is her new favorite building!

So far as the floor, all buildings have three floors (with elevators). The first floor speaks for itself - some people love the walkout feel. The top (third) floor is always nice since no little (or big) feet are stomping above you. The caveat is that there is little shade over the balcony (just a minimal trellis type structure), which may or may not be a big deal to you. Which leaves the second floor as my wife's favorite, as she likes guaranteed shade and a little privacy (particularly on the golf course units where people do tend to take walks along side the golf course). I wouldn't even make the shuttle a factor. The stops are by the 4300 and 4500 buildings are a couple of minute walk at worse.

So obviously personal preference is key as at all the resorts but, in the future, I'll request 4200, 4300 and 4400 to increase my chances of getting something we like. If you don't care about a couple of extra minutes to the pool I guess 4100 would be ok. Stay away from 4000, it has units overlooking the resort streets and parking lot - I thought they did a really bad job with this location.

Have a great stay!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We bought at Enclaves when it opened and also own a week in the Villages, so I'm pretty familiar with the resort. Lisa, you hit the reasons that 4400 was (note "was") always my absolute favorite! If you like the pool view and hotel feel, this is THE building. I've always liked sitting outside and soaking in the "white noise" of kids playing, recorded (and occasionally live) poolside music and, for the last couple of years, whatever they play on the gorgeous new big screen TV. So, I've always requested 4400 but I haven't always got it during busy periods. A couple of years ago, we ended up in 4300, where the units also face the pool. However, many are screened by trees and are marginally further from the pool, depending on which end of the building you are in, so the "resort feel' wasn't as pronounced for me. This past summer, they were very busy and offered us 4500. I thought it couldn't be too bad, being so close to the pool. We trekked down to the unit and were immediately disappointed - significant road noise from Frank Sinatra Drive and you could see some traffic too - was this even the same resort?! One thing I love about Shadow Ridge is their excellent service, so a few minutes later we were heading over to 4200, to a second floor 2 BR unit. I was trying to hide my disappointment at being excluded from the poolside units for the first time in 10 years! That was soon forgotten though, as the golf view was very pleasant. The golf course actually slopes up a little away from that building and towards the road, so it not only hides the view of the street but also blocks most of the traffic noise (not that it's that busy a street). The 4200 building is also literally steps from an entrance to the pool, that actually takes you right to the Grill and Bar. After a week of that, my wife announced this is her new favorite building!

So far as the floor, all buildings have three floors (with elevators). The first floor speaks for itself - some people love the walkout feel. The top (third) floor is always nice since no little (or big) feet are stomping above you. The caveat is that there is little shade over the balcony (just a minimal trellis type structure), which may or may not be a big deal to you. Which leaves the second floor as my wife's favorite, as she likes guaranteed shade and a little privacy (particularly on the golf course units where people do tend to take walks along side the golf course). I wouldn't even make the shuttle a factor. The stops are by the 4300 and 4500 buildings are a couple of minute walk at worse.

So obviously personal preference is key as at all the resorts but, in the future, I'll request 4200, 4300 and 4400 to increase my chances of getting something we like. If you don't care about a couple of extra minutes to the pool I guess 4100 would be ok. Stay away from 4000, it has units overlooking the resort streets and parking lot - I thought they did a really bad job with this location.

Have a great stay!
That's a really helpful analysis -- thank you for posting this and I will follow suit when we are at Enclaves.

Generally speaking, how do you like Enclaves versus Villages? Thanks again.

Best,

Greg

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the Villages multiple times and the Enclaves once. The resort is very nice and you have access to pool and facilities at both the Villages and Enclaves. I had a hard time with the collapsable wall between the master bedroom and the living room at the Enclaves. To us it felt like a studio versus a one bedroom. This accordion wall left no privacy between the living room and bedroom.

This feature makes the Enclaves our least favorite in Palm Desert. I believe there may be some traditional units with a seperate bedroom but would think it would be unlikely to get a traditional one bedroom unless you owned this type of unit.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We have stayed at the Villages multiple times and the Enclaves once. The resort is very nice and you have access to pool and facilities at both the Villages and Enclaves. I had a hard time with the collapsable wall between the master bedroom and the living room. To us it felt like a studio versus a one bedroom. This accordion wall left no privacy between the living room and bedroom.

This feature makes the Enclaves our least favorite in Palm Desert. I believe there may be some traditional units with a seperate bedroom but would think it would be unlikely to get a traditional one bedroom unless you owned this type of unit.
100% agree, it is not a true 1BR.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to TUG members, when we wanted to pick Shadow Ridge for an upcoming stay, we booked at the Villages instead of the Enclaves. :thumbup:

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the warning about the Enclaves. I wouldn't want the studio-like "one bedroom" either, especially when there are so many other choices in the area.

Bruyerebrit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you all as to Enclaves and the "studio-like" label is fair. No, there are no "traditional" units (ones without a sliding wall) in Enclaves. For those, choose Villages. I'll add my own perspective and address Greg's question some more as to the "Enclaves vs. Villages" debate. The sliding wall between the living room and master bedroom in Enclaves is VERY different. In fact, when I toured the mock-up during construction, they billed it as "Villa of the Future" or something similar! Well clearly we're still in the past, because I don't think that design made it outside of Palm Desert! So why the heck do we keep coming back to Enclaves and forgoing the Villages? For us, it comes down to HOW you use the villa. It's not just about it being a smaller one bedroom than just about any other purpose built MVC property, it's about the radically different floor plan. In Enclaves, the master bedroom is on the walkway/entry door side. In fact, the one window looks out on the walkway. When we first toured way back when, I thought to myself something like "what the heck, did Marriott copy a cheap motel design?!" But once you get inside, the kitchen and living room flow together alongside a magnificent span of sliding glass doors and big windows. Talking of flow, the kitchen just works. I always marvel that I can stand by the sink, be part of whatever is happening in the living room, see the TV and see my beloved desert/golf course/pool view all at once. To cap it off, I can easily reach anything in the kitchen within a couple of steps. The living space design is simply brilliant and keeps you in the vacation. Contrast that with your traditional MVC kitchen (as in Villages), usually at the back of the unit with wrap around counters so often times if you're working and facing the wrong way you could be in any old condo or back home.

I don't like to see my bedroom so I generally keep the slider closed or mostly closed, although it makes the space far smaller than almost every other 1 bedroom. There would be no privacy with someone staying on the sleeper sofa just feet away, as the sliding "wall" is a sad excuse for a wall and is not in the least sound proof. However, I never have anyone else sleep on that side with us, even the kids when they were smaller - always in the lock off (which by the way is an awful lock off to occupy by itself as it doesn't have a balcony which is bordering on the criminal in the desert, but it's a fine second room). Another positive for me.... I should note that the design in Enclaves is very modern, even by 2019 standards. In 2009 or so when we bought, it was radically luxe! Opaque glass inserts in the kitchen doors instead of generic oak/walnut/maple whatever. And the lighting, especially in the master bath...whoa! I'm talking halogen spots, under counter, subtle nightlights, dimmers...ok, maybe this is not as radical in 4 star hotel land today, but it was very striking for your average Marriott timeshare then. But you get the idea....as I said in my earlier post, above, I am very attracted to the resort vacation ambiance. Enclaves units give us that, more than Villages.

Other factors for me.... I love the Enclaves pool, particularly the last couple of years as they've added shade, an impressive big screen TV and a nice fire pit. It's just the right size for me. The main pool complex at the Villages can get crazy busy and attracts generally more little kids (splash zone, small water slide and the activity center are all right there). Also, the cafe/bar at Villages is stuck on the back of the pool around a corner, totally cut off from the views and ambiance. Crazy. At Enclaves, it's more integrated...again, that resort hotel feel. As for the Villages units, I've nothing bad to say. They're traditional, comfortable and have generally lovely golf views, but they're sort of forgettable I think. But....if you want the maximum space for your buck (particularly if you're looking to put 8 people in a 2 bedroom), then go for Villages. Note...it is a massive property so if you don't choose carefully you may be a trek from a pool in Villages, less likely in Enclaves. That may be fine for some, not for me.

At the end of the day, Shadow Ridge is a great resort, really well managed with incredibly professional and tenured staff (many have been there 10 and 20 years+).

Greg, as an aside you were probably one of my biggest sources of learning on here 10+ years ago, after I came home from our preview trip to Shadow Ridge having bought a platinum week during our presentation. No, I didn't rescind but we don't regret a thing! I learned so much from you and others kind enough to share on here and for that I thank you.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"No, there are no "traditional" units (ones without a sliding wall) in Enclaves."

I am not sure if true but when I asked the check in folks I was told there were a small number of deluxe units with a more traditional design in Enclaves. One per building? Maybe they were not telling the truth. I never saw such a unit.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Bruyerbit,

Thank you for the thoughtful analysis and the kind comments. We love Villages and have been going for years, and really like the buildings that are adjacent to the main pool area.

Now that the kids are high school and college age, I can see Shadow Ridge continuing to be a destination for Jonell and me, and there is much to like about what you have described with Enclaves.

I will see out that property in the coming days too, it sounds terrific. We own it as a trader, but that too may change.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Best,

Greg

Bruyerebrit

TUG Member
Reaction score
"No, there are no "traditional" units (ones without a sliding wall) in Enclaves."

I am not sure if true but when I asked the check in folks I was told there were a small number of deluxe units with a more traditional design in Enclaves. One per building? Maybe they were not telling the truth. I never saw such a unit.

I thought of mentioning the Deluxe units but I was already probably going into too much detail! Yes, there are a very few "Deluxe" units and I've stayed in them. The only difference is on the lock off side, which is a very nice "studio" (ironically) with a mini-kitchen, living room and balcony. There is NO difference on the 1 bedroom "master" side - they are all exactly the same. If you have a "Deluxe 2 bedroom" it "seems" a bit more traditional because your guests/kids staying in the lock off side won't be hanging on your side as much compared to the somewhat claustrophobic "regular" lock off! To stress again though, NO difference on the master side....it still has the sliding wall between the master bed and living room.