• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to understand SFX's exchanges - I don't think that the exchange companies will ever reveal their secrets. What I am saying is that Bill and Cindy have multiple requests that have been in over a year and remain unfilled and if I knew what they requested, I would stay away from requesting those locations in SFX. For example, with the help of the collective TUG knowledge, we all know that if we request a Marriott DSV1 (dual affiliated) through RCI vs II, the II request will almost certainly be filled, while the RCI request is a long shot, because II has access to developer deposits and RCI only gets owner deposits. I just want to try to figure out if SFX has or doesn't have access to certain places. SFX for sure isn't going to tell me. That said, not everyone wants to share their travel plans and I can respect that.

Based upon what Heathpack has said, I may do a request with my remaining deposit for a Diamond property to see if it pulls something in Sedona, probably.

So this touched upon a previous point (sorry it might've even been you, LOL)
We could try to compile a listing of deposits made, and requests made and just kinda "track" (although sample size may not be accurate) to possibly see what is "rare", common, etc. Although again, the results may not be true to fact (are *all* SFX exchangers TUG members and if so, do they *all* participate in this, if we do this)? I think if we're willing to accept a YMMV and anectdotal (even with a set of facts for 1, 2, 3 people, that doesn't necessarily mean it's really true for everyone) set of data, we can at least make semi-educated *guesses* for things.

For example, even though RCI lists 4 resorts in Key West, there's one of them, apparently (again, RCI doesn't and won't tell you this) that you will *never* get because nobody (well let me rephrase - nobody on TUG) has seen/heard of it being exchanged for years. Although again, I shouldn't probably say *never* because maybe someone out there got that resort, but they don't post on TUG.

I'm willing to try to slap something together on like Google Docs or something and link it if anyone thinks it's worth a shot.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So it seems they still read TUG and the squeeky wheel has been oiled. :)

They do know what exchanges are possible because we all list what we own in our SFX profiles, and they know which developers they have agreements with. They use our profiles to send targeted mail/email, I get several every year offering me a bonus for a deposit. It wouldn’t take much to match up requests to profiles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
But isn't the way RCI/II do things as well? If I put in 12 different resorts I'm willing to take, to increase my chances, even though I like 2 of them "better" than the others, it's *my* responsibility to accept the risk that yeah, I didn't get first choice because matching *something* was more important than a specific resort. I don't really see how that's the fault of any exchange company. But perhaps I'm not understanding what your situation is.

Very odd, although I know 3 years ago when I called, they were able to tell me what their *current* unfulfilled requests were for HGV when I asked about locations/weeks. So it seemed at least then, their system knew what was requested. In fact, I ended up "having" to deposit a 3,400 point week because they had a need for it, and my usual 2,400 point Vegas week was too close to the 60-day mark and they didn't have any requests for it. Which was fine for me, I got a great exchange anyway.

With II, I'm not sure I've ever matched to an OGS. I've traded into Westin Kaanapali, Marriott KoOlina, Hyatt Highlands Inn. Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Welk Northstar, Grand Luxxe multiple times, Grand Mayan, Westin Kierland, and I can't think of how many other premier resorts- all from online inventory, frequently using the Sightings forum. That just works better for me- I can see what my options are, compare to my schedule of work committments, bike races, dog sports, continuing education seminars, other timeshare weeks and so on, and then decide if that exchange might work. That mechanism of exchanging just suits me better than studying my schedule week by week a year or two in advance, deciding all possible weeks and locations that would work and setting up an OGS to reflect this, then going back repeatedly as other life things get nailed down and specific weeks/locales need to be eliminated from my search.

I might deposit my Barony week at some point and set up an OGS for Marriott Maui Ocean Club for a broad range of dates. But mostly I'm a successful instant exchange type and not likely to set up a multi-resort/locale/week OGS, its just too complicated for my paradigm.

As far as the willingness to book a specific Hyatt week with them, I probably expressed that to them 5-7 years ago. SFX telling me "no" on this offer was not a recent thing.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I am not trying to understand SFX's exchanges - I don't think that the exchange companies will ever reveal their secrets. What I am saying is that Bill and Cindy have multiple requests that have been in over a year and remain unfilled and if I knew what they requested, I would stay away from requesting those locations in SFX. For example, with the help of the collective TUG knowledge, we all know that if we request a Marriott DSV1 (dual affiliated) through RCI vs II, the II request will almost certainly be filled, while the RCI request is a long shot, because II has access to developer deposits and RCI only gets owner deposits. I just want to try to figure out if SFX has or doesn't have access to certain places. SFX for sure isn't going to tell me. That said, not everyone wants to share their travel plans and I can respect that.

Based upon what Heathpack has said, I may do a request with my remaining deposit for a Diamond property to see if it pulls something in Sedona, probably.

I hear what you're saying but I kind of disagree. I *am* trying to understand SFX. Like you, not the minutia of how they operate but the gist. I understand what I can probably get with Hyatt Residence Club internal trading- what units and seasons. I understand in II that I get Marriott preference and Vistana preference and how with Marriott I can book a specific week/TDI and what that means to me vs with my SBP I can't and what that means. I know approx what seasons and units pop up under preference and what I'm likely to get. Likewise, I understand that I have *no* Hyatt preference in II but I can leverage unit size and season very nicely and I understand where my value lies in II trading with my Hyatts. I'm slowly starting to get some ideas about Marriott Destination Club, which is new to me. But there's a mechanism for me to learn- by studying online inventory and learning the successes of other TUGgers.

But SFX? I still don't have a very good idea of how to best make use of their exchange system, given what I own. I am quite willing to be reasonable- I don't have to squeeze blood from a stone on every exchange, I own enough timeshares that I can make some only "fair" exchanges and still be pretty happy. I'm just unwilling to risk a prime deposit on SFX unless I understand their system a little better. And I'm someone who is willing to take the time to learn a system and make it work to the mutual advantage of both myself and the exchange company, but with SFX I simply have no way to learn. No coaching from reps, limited TUG experience, and no meaningful online inventory to study.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I called SFX to ask what to deposit as I used VI points. They said the Whistler Clock Tower would be a perfect deposit. I went with their suggested dates for the reservation. This worked for me because I had eight months left to use these points and my travel plate was full for the next year.

I think I would have been better off using the VI points for short stays.

I did have one other experience with SFX regarding a Mazatlan exchange. The exchange was to the Mayan Palace Regency. The room was very nice but the view was the lobby roof. The Mayan Palace claimed this was their SFX unit and we couldn't move so we moved to a different resort that had a great view. Maybe if we had attended their presentation we would have had a better view, idk.

We will see how it goes. My requests are for Washington Mountain , Oregon Coast and Oregon Mountain with a time frame of April 2020 to June 2020. Maybe I should add more requests but my travel plate is full until March 2020.

Bill

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
With II, I'm not sure I've ever matched to an OGS. I've traded into Westin Kaanapali, Marriott KoOlina, Hyatt Highlands Inn. Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Welk Northstar, Grand Luxxe multiple times, Grand Mayan, Westin Kierland, and I can't think of how many other premier resorts- all from online inventory, frequently using the Sightings forum. That just works better for me- I can see what my options are, compare to my schedule of work committments, bike races, dog sports, continuing education seminars, other timeshare weeks and so on, and then decide if that exchange might work. That mechanism of exchanging just suits me better than studying my schedule week by week a year or two in advance, deciding all possible weeks and locations that would work and setting up an OGS to reflect this, then going back repeatedly as other life things get nailed down and specific weeks/locales need to be eliminated from my search.

I might deposit my Barony week at some point and set up an OGS for Marriott Maui Ocean Club for a broad range of dates. But mostly I'm a successful instant exchange type and not likely to set up a multi-resort/locale/week OGS, its just too complicated for my paradigm.

As far as the willingness to book a specific Hyatt week with them, I probably expressed that to them 5-7 years ago. SFX telling me "no" on this offer was not a recent thing.

Ah, I see. OK. So this kinda jives with I think @rickandcindy23 where she (and I'm pretty sure many others from the comments) like to basically be able to 'browse" the online-active inventory and go from there. And I'm the opposite, because when I look at II/RCI they almost never have anything "available" for when/where I want, so I always (well almost always) have to use an OGS.

Hopefully I didn't come across as rude, I'm just trying to understand the situation as I'm trying to compose an email to my contact at SFX to try to explain things (and point them over here) to see what, if anything, can be done and possibly try to help other folks.

Thanks for your thoughts/inputs.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying but I kind of disagree. I *am* trying to understand SFX. Like you, not the minutia of how they operate but the gist. I understand what I can probably get with Hyatt Residence Club internal trading- what units and seasons. I understand in II that I get Marriott preference and Vistana preference and how with Marriott I can book a specific week/TDI and what that means to me vs with my SBP I can't and what that means. I know approx what seasons and units pop up under preference and what I'm likely to get. Likewise, I understand that I have *no* Hyatt preference in II but I can leverage unit size and season very nicely and I understand where my value lies in II trading with my Hyatts. I'm slowly starting to get some ideas about Marriott Destination Club, which is new to me. But there's a mechanism for me to learn- by studying online inventory and learning the successes of other TUGgers.

But SFX? I still don't have a very good idea of how to best make use of their exchange system, given what I own. I am quite willing to be reasonable- I don't have to squeeze blood from a stone on every exchange, I own enough timeshares that I can make some only "fair" exchanges and still be pretty happy. I'm just unwilling to risk a prime deposit on SFX unless I understand their system a little better. And I'm someone who is willing to take the time to learn a system and make it work to the mutual advantage of both myself and the exchange company, but with SFX I simply have no way to learn. No coaching from reps, limited TUG experience, and no meaningful online inventory to study.

I agree. So I'll start a new thread hopefully soon to try to come up with questions/answers/strageties (haha). I know for a *long* time Hilton had the same issue (how to use HGV). It must've gotten so bad that they actually started having "workgroup" sessions across the US you could attend for free (NO SALES, just strictly how to use the system, etc.). They've recently gone to Youtube (I think) videos now and it seems to have dramatically cut down on the number of folks complaining on the FB group (although still get folks that buy direct vs. resale and believe the sales guys and then don't realize that with timeshares you have to mostly plan ahead if you want something like March in Orlando).

I will admit, most of my stuff with SFX has come from "experience" so again, good thoughts/inputs.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many

I'm trying to understand SFX as well but don't really know what to expect. On the sightings board, I could see the deposit patterns for Marriott, Hyatt and Vistana. So I decided to buy II traders. I don't really know how to obtain good value from SFX. I think calling to check inventory is just not very efficient.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand SFX as well but don't really know what to expect. On the sightings board, I could see the deposit patterns for Marriott, Hyatt and Vistana. So I decided to buy II traders. I don't really know how to obtain good value from SFX. I think calling to check inventory is just not very efficient.

The only "deposit patterns" SFX is likely to get/have is probably when Vidanta does their Bulk deposits and *possibly* Hilton. The rest are more than likely individual deposits from individuals. You can search for the extra Vidanta leftovers (at least sorta kinda within like 3-4 weeks at a time), in my experience, but it won't cover all the inventory they can get.

My experience is that (except for Vidanta/Hilton) the majority of their deposits are matched via OGS (for lack of a better term). So like in RCI, you'll almost never see bulk Disney deposits because they get scooped up via matches with OGS already placed. Although the "vacation specials" are usually deposits (by the resort or members) that anyone can see (I'm pretty sure) but the pricing varies by membership.
https://www.sfxresorts.com/resort/escapes/

However, "sightings" for the one-offs is probably only currently doable if someone posts back either via emailing/calling and seeing what's there.

Although I can assure you SFX is very much aware of the online search limitations and they are looking at addressing this. But I have no ETA or any other details.

For Vidanta inventory (AFAIK) they have:
Bulk Deposits for exchanges
Bulk Deposits for Bonus weeks (cash pricing)
Cash-only pricing (bonus week only, but not eligible for any Bonus week discounts you may have received via Promotional Deposits) that they can sometimes get via other sources (kinda like a rental that Vidanta does vs. incentive weeks they deposit) - these are not searchable online, AFAIK, as they literally have to call someone and see what's there and there's NO HOLDING those. So you either take it then or risk having it not available.

Typically if there's a bonus week or an exchange week available, they'll do a 24-hour courtesy hold, although maybe that's only for Diamond Members, I don't know.

I will certainly try to remember though when I find out things to post in the Sightings.
Typically a friend/relative emails me and wants to know what's available either "anywhere" in Mexico or RM/NV with some date ranges, so I'll email my rep @ SFX inquiring what they have and so on, so in a small sense I get a "sightings" list. haha

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Just want to say, I was able to get a 1 bedroom through SFX, probably a smaller one bedroom suite, at Kingsland for our son and his little family, early June of next year. That was a great exchange. I am happy. Now I still have about 9 or 10 more deposits to use. But Nathan at sFX is really being thoughtful, and I appreciate it. I have no idea what to even ask for next. Maybe they would have a September week in So Cal. That would be nice. I am going to check on that. Our AP's expire 10/1 of next year.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Thanks for the explanation. Not a great fit for me but others will probably find that info useful.

JuliGee

Reaction score
The only "deposit patterns" SFX is likely to get/have is probably when Vidanta does their Bulk deposits and *possibly* Hilton. The rest are more than likely individual deposits from individuals. You can search for the extra Vidanta leftovers (at least sorta kinda within like 3-4 weeks at a time), in my experience, but it won't cover all the inventory they can get.

My experience is that (except for Vidanta/Hilton) the majority of their deposits are matched via OGS (for lack of a better term). So like in RCI, you'll almost never see bulk Disney deposits because they get scooped up via matches with OGS already placed. Although the "vacation specials" are usually deposits (by the resort or members) that anyone can see (I'm pretty sure) but the pricing varies by membership.
https://www.sfxresorts.com/resort/escapes/

However, "sightings" for the one-offs is probably only currently doable if someone posts back either via emailing/calling and seeing what's there.

I will certainly try to remember though when I find out things to post in the Sightings.
Typically a friend/relative emails me and wants to know what's available either "anywhere" in Mexico or RM/NV with some date ranges, so I'll email my rep @ SFX inquiring what they have and so on, so in a small sense I get a "sightings" list. haha

Our exchange experience with sfx for the most part has been very satisfying over the years. I will say however, that most of our exchanges and bonus weeks have been as a result of placing an ongoing request, and not weeks that have just been sitting there in their spacebank. They don't have the huge inventories that rci and ii have because they are more specialized in high demand locations, and I do wish they would show their availability online, but i think the reality is with all exchange companies, the demand for the best weeks like Hurnik said, get booked immediately to those with placed reqests and rarely get seen online. Ive heard a number of people mention whats online are the leftovers!

We have a couple of marriott weeks and a donatello week. If you own marriott and only want to stay at marriott resorts, then you best off trading internally via the marriott ii managed system. We usually deposit one of our Marriott weeks with sfx because we turn that one week deposit into three weeks of vacation as a result of their bonus weeks they give us, and we sometimes do the same with our donatello week as well. For us it works well, but everyone has their favorite exchange company. Two days ago, I received their latest 2020 deposit promo with some interesting new bundles. Has tug ever invited sfx to have a forum like rci and ii used to?

Juli

TravelJoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do Iget a free Sfx account? I’m mostly interested in Mexico cash deals?