• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX vs II

I have used SFX successfully?

• Total voters

itap39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt WOR
I just noticed SFX in a thread here. I'd like to hear others experience with SFX? I have only used II and while they have many properties, I struggle to find "elite" properties available. So I'm interested if its easy to exchange a week to them, and find high-end properties?

We own 2000 and 1300 with Hyatt (annual), both at WOR in San Antonio.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I don't own Hyatt but I use Interval extensively and SFX occasionally. Between the two Interval is easier to use (imo) and usually less expensive as well.
The one advantage of SFX is that you can get HGVC properties that are not available in Interval. That is my primary usage for SFX, otherwise I keep everything in Interval.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know Hyatt properties traded in SFX.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This is a hit or miss experience for me. I have 9 deposits currently with SFX and have not been all that happy, but if you have a personal rep that can help with requests, it's been a bit better. I have been told that my deposits will never expire because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I complain, and I know there are SFX reps who watch TUG, including one that denies being an SFX rep and posts all kinds of positive things about the company. Those positive comments are "her" only posts on TUG

EDITED TO ADD: Some of my nine deposits are seriously aged and some are 7 years old. I have made many requests against them and no availability for these deposits.

I will have to renew my membership soon to keep my deposits usable. They have such limited inventory and no online search capability, unless you want Mexico. They are strong in MX.

I love II and wish I had never heard of SFX. If you join and deposit a week and get a good result with SFX, you can do that for free, and you can come to TUG and brag it up. But don't deposit anything with a MF of over $800, or you will be sorely disappointed in the stuff they offer.

Case in point: I deposited all of my weeks in prime season, except a few that SFX considers off-season. II considers anything in my Sheraton Broadway Plantation Gold Plus season as prime season and I get prime season exchanges. So a September date in SFX is not a great deposit, and I do understand that. But I thought I was going to get a great exchange with that deposit, because it shows as a prime season deposit on the SFX calendar. Nope. No guarantee. I even got comments about how the week I deposited was off-season. It's been bizarre.

I requested next June and early July for Hiltons on the Big Island and no answer from my rep on whether I can get those or not. Silence, silence, silence, that is what I get for most of my requests.

Never make a request toward a week online. Never you will get anything. You have to talk to someone.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
SFX is a small exchange company located in California. They are strongest in California and Mexico, but none of the top US resort systems are affiliated with them. The top resorts are affiliated with RCI and II. What that means is that you may be able to deposit your single week with them, but Hyatt is not doing bulk space banking with them, so you won't find much Hyatt inventory to exchange into.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you want to try out SFX they have an entry level free membership. You can join, don't deposit, and scan the online inventory, they list stuff 60 days out and you can pay cash. There are some nice weeks if you can do last minute travel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
SFX is ok. We did get a very opulent unit in Mazatlan. The room was fantastic in every way except location. We did upgrade to diamond this year and deposited 4 weeks into their system. With the bonus weeks and the reinstatement of our previous deposit we now have 9 weeks available.

I need to make some requests. Currently I have 2.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Never make a request toward a week online. Never you will get anything. You have to talk to someone.

I noticed this last year. Our online request had a problem when I went back to look at it. My problem was I hadn't looked at it for 6 months.

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Something everyone should know about SFX is that if they offer you a week that fits your search exactly, you have to take it. So if you have deposits in RCI and II, and you also entered a search with SFX for a longshot match (and it usually is a longshot), if you don't cancel the search with SFX after getting the match with the either of the big companies, SFX's exchange agreement says you must accept the exchange.

Now this is an odd scenario, you would think, but it's easy to forget that you entered a search with SFX and didn't cancel it.

Also, I have to say it because others do not, but SFX may never find a match for you, if you deposited a week that is not prime season. They will keep saying your requests are prime season, and your deposit was not prime season. Why use SFX? I cannot see a reason why.

And another thing, if you think SFX only has high quality stuff, that is not true at all. They will offer some sketchy resorts that do not have a quality rating with II and RCI. That happened to me with a Myrtle Beach one bedroom for last year in May. Matched my search exactly for area and took the match. I'd hoped it was a better resort. I was hoping for Sheraton or Marriott, or any other high-quality resort.

When my membership expires in 2023, I guess I will just let my deposits go that I have with them. I am done with the aggravation.

Our daughter did go to Mexico with SFX and was happy with her exchange. I think it was one of the newest Vidanta in Nuevo Vallarta. I am not interested in Mexico, and I understand SFX cannot offer Vidanta without fees (charged by Vidanta) anymore.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn’t know Hyatt properties traded in SFX.
You can reserve what you own in Hyatt and deposit to SFX. Don't expect a great exchange in return.

JuliGee

Reaction score
SFX is a small exchange company located in California. They are strongest in California and Mexico, but none of the top US resort systems are affiliated with them. The top resorts are affiliated with RCI and II. What that means is that you may be able to deposit your single week with them, but Hyatt is not doing bulk space banking with them, so you won't find much Hyatt inventory to exchange into.

Unfortunately that is not correct information with regards to California and Mexico being their strongest locations. Overall we have had good results in Florida, NY City, London, Hawaii, Aruba, Barbados, Spain, Arizona, Scotland, Portugal, Vancouver, Mexico, Colorado.

Another incorrect statement is they have no affiliations with non of the top US resorts systems. Two official affiliations I am aware of in the US are Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Diamond Resorts, Grand Pacific Resorts. But they do get inventory from many resorts directly and from their members via special relationships.

We have had memberships in both rci and II, and for us sfx has been a better experience.
Juli

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is not correct information with regards to California and Mexico being their strongest locations. Overall we have had good results in Florida, NY City, London, Hawaii, Aruba, Barbados, Spain, Arizona, Scotland, Portugal, Vancouver, Mexico, Colorado.

Another incorrect statement is they have no affiliations with non of the top US resorts systems. Two official affiliations I am aware of in the US are Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Diamond Resorts, Grand Pacific Resorts. But they do get inventory from many resorts directly and from their members via special relationships.

We have had memberships in both rci and II, and for us sfx has been a better experience.
Juli
A quick glance at your posting history shows a VERY high percentage of your discussions are related to SFX. What is the nature of your relationship with SFX?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I stand by my post - SFX does have more availability in CA and Mexico than in any other location, therefore, that is where they are the strongest. I don't consider Diamond resorts and GPR to be top echelon companies, and I have never heard that Hilton is affiliated with SFX. That's surprising if true, because Hilton is affiliated with RCI. Top echelon resorts: Vistana (Starwood), Marriott, Disney, Hyatt, Hilton.

JuliGee

Reaction score
Something everyone should know about SFX is that if they offer you a week that fits your search exactly, you have to take it. So if you have deposits in RCI and II, and you also entered a search with SFX for a longshot match (and it usually is a longshot), if you don't cancel the search with SFX after getting the match with the either of the big companies, SFX's exchange agreement says you must accept the exchange.

Now this is an odd scenario, you would think, but it's easy to forget that you entered a search with SFX and didn't cancel it.

Also, I have to say it because others do not, but SFX may never find a match for you, if you deposited a week that is not prime season. They will keep saying your requests are prime season, and your deposit was not prime season. Why use SFX? I cannot see a reason why.

And another thing, if you think SFX only has high quality stuff, that is not true at all. They will offer some sketchy resorts that do not have a quality rating with II and RCI. That happened to me with a Myrtle Beach one bedroom for last year in May. Matched my search exactly for area and took the match. I'd hoped it was a better resort. I was hoping for Sheraton or Marriott, or any other high-quality resort.

When my membership expires in 2023, I guess I will just let my deposits go that I have with them. I am done with the aggravation.

Our daughter did go to Mexico with SFX and was happy with her exchange. I think it was one of the newest Vidanta in Nuevo Vallarta. I am not interested in Mexico, and I understand SFX cannot offer Vidanta without fees (charged by Vidanta) anymore.

Lots of information here that is not correct and misleading.

"Something everyone should know about SFX is that if they offer you a week that fits your search exactly, you have to take it. So if you have deposits in RCI and II, and you also entered a search with SFX for a longshot match (and it usually is a longshot), if you don't cancel the search with SFX after getting the match with the either of the big companies, SFX's exchange agreement says you must accept the exchange".

Their rule is if they offer you exactly what you asked for, which is an exact match and you decline to accept what you wanted, an exchange fee is due, but you Do Not have to take the week as you state.

"I am not interested in Mexico, and I understand SFX cannot offer Vidanta without fees (charged by Vidanta) anymore".
SFX has never offered Vidanta without fees. We have exchanged into Vidanta for the several years and there have always been resort fees charged.

"Also, I have to say it because others do not, but SFX may never find a match for you, if you deposited a week that is not prime season. They will keep saying your requests are prime season, and your deposit was not prime season".

I believe they have rules similar to rci and ii, if you deposit a week in low season you cannot get a week in high season unless its within about 30 days in advance. Our daughter deposited an off season week in Florida and got an off season week at the Ridge at Lake Tahoe in the off season within a few days of making the request.

"And another thing, if you think SFX only has high quality stuff, that is not true at all. They will offer some sketchy resorts that do not have a quality rating with II and RCI. That happened to me with a Myrtle Beach one bedroom for last year in May. Matched my search exactly for area and took the match. I'd hoped it was a better resort. I was hoping for Sheraton or Marriott, or any other high-quality resort".

Rci and II also have some of the same sketch resorts in their system too. Were your deposits the same quality as Sheraton or a Marriott or less?

"Now this is an odd scenario, you would think, but it's easy to forget that you entered a search with SFX and didn't cancel it".

Now that is odd, we get email notices from sfx while a search is in progress letting us know they are still searching, and asking us if we want to cancel and search or add other locations. We also get notifications in advance of deposits and requests expiring.

Juli

JuliGee

Reaction score
A quick glance at your posting history shows a VERY high percentage of your discussions are related to SFX. What is the nature of your relationship with SFX?

Yes that is correct, most of my posts are related to sfx because our family has had amazing exchanges and other benefits from them, and we use them several times a year, and therefore am quite familiar with their services. And the main reason I do post often on them is because I find it very disturbing seeing so much incorrect information that is posted about them!! My relationship with sfx is that of an extremely satisfied member for many years, thanks to being recommended by management at Marriott Newport Coast resort!

Are you trying to suggest I am an employee to discredit my posts?

Juli

JuliGee

Reaction score
I stand by my post - SFX does have more availability in CA and Mexico than in any other location, therefore, that is where they are the strongest. I don't consider Diamond resorts and GPR to be top echelon companies, and I have never heard that Hilton is affiliated with SFX. That's surprising if true, because Hilton is affiliated with RCI. Top echelon resorts: Vistana (Starwood), Marriott, Disney, Hyatt, Hilton.

Hilton and sfx have had an exchange relationship for quite a long while. On a number of occasions, I time some of my requests based on when they get Hilton weeks into the sfx system. Maybe you could contact sfx with a list of your questions and get them answered directly rather than casting doubt on my posts, and post them on the site so other viewers are given good accurate information that helps them.

Juli

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not interested in contacting SFX, or promoting SFX - I deposited a Westin Ka'anapali week with them and could not get quality exchanges back.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that is correct, most of my posts are related to sfx because our family has had amazing exchanges and other benefits from them, and we use them several times a year, and therefore am quite familiar with their services. And the main reason I do post often on them is because I find it very disturbing seeing so much incorrect information that is posted about them!! My relationship with sfx is that of an extremely satisfied member for many years, thanks to being recommended by management at Marriott Newport Coast resort!

Are you trying to suggest I am an employee to discredit my posts?

Juli
Not necessarily to discredit your posts but rather to put them in context. It does seem a bit odd if you are not associated with SFX to post only about SFX. If you visit timeshares several times a year you should have a wealth of information to share about a lot of things not just SFX.

JuliGee

Reaction score
I just noticed SFX in a thread here. I'd like to hear others experience with SFX? I have only used II and while they have many properties, I struggle to find "elite" properties available. So I'm interested if its easy to exchange a week to them, and find high-end properties?

We own 2000 and 1300 with Hyatt (annual), both at WOR in San Antonio.

We have used sfx successfully for a number of years. We own at two nice properties (Club Donatello in SF, and Marriott Newport Coast Ca) but they are not elite. The highest quality timeshare resort we have ever stayed at is the Grand Luxxe Resort in Nuevo Vallarta. In my opinion it's probably not easy to exchange into elite properties with any exchange company because the higher the quality of the resort, the lesser the exchange activity because if its that nice, owners want to use their time where they purchased or do an internal exchange to another location owed by the same developer.

Juli

JuliGee

Reaction score
Not necessarily to discredit your posts but rather to put them in context. It does seem a bit odd if you are not associated with SFX to post only about SFX. If you visit timeshares several times a year you should have a wealth of information to share about a lot of things not just SFX.

Not odd at all if I mostly post about sfx. I post about sfx when I see things that are completely inaccurate so that viewers are not mislead. It doesn't bother me at all whether someone likes or dislikes sfx, rci or ii, but it does bother me when there is incorrect misleading information. If you saw false or misleading information about something you were very familiar with, would you not post to make viewers aware of it so they can be better informed or would you ignore it? I react to it passionately because we have had amazing service and vacations from them over the years.
What wealth of information do you suggest I share?

Juli

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have traded in to Kingsland/Kohala Suites 3 times with no resort fees through SFX. It's their best affiliation imo. I'm not a Vidanta fan (the resorts are just too big for me) but that is another solid trade.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Now this is an odd scenario, you would think, but it's easy to forget that you entered a search with SFX and didn't cancel it".

Now that is odd, we get email notices from sfx while a search is in progress letting us know they are still searching, and asking us if we want to cancel and search or add other locations. We also get notifications in advance of deposits and requests expiring.

Juli
The only time that I have ever been contacted by SFX is when I have received a match. Otherwise, crickets. I am Diamond (SFX member) but I'm definitely not receiving the same treatment as you. I have two deposits with them with 10 different searches. I put them in two months ago +/- and not a peep.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton and sfx have had an exchange relationship for quite a long while. On a number of occasions, I time some of my requests based on when they get Hilton weeks into the sfx system. Maybe you could contact sfx with a list of your questions and get them answered directly rather than casting doubt on my posts, and post them on the site so other viewers are given good accurate information that helps them.

Juli

How did you know when they would be getting HGVC deposits? Is there a certain time of year?

I also own at the Donatello, do you know if they are still allowing San Francisco weeks a free one size upgrade (ie a 1 bedroom for a donatello studio unit)?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

The affiliation between SFX and Hilton is documented on the HGVC TUG Information page as follows:

HGVC built properties are also directly affiliated with RCI (Resort Club International) and SFX (San Francisco Exchange). Some HGVC affiliates have the benefit of being simultaneously affiliated with RCI, SFX and II (Interval International).

I don't own HGVC, so can't offer any experience on how that affiliation works. I do use SFX, based on a membership I got with a Vidanta purchase, primarily to travel back to Mexican resorts at a lower cost than otherwise achievable due to the resort fee structure in II and RCI with Vidanta and the high usage fees for my ownership there - SFX has a lower resort fee there and will accept low cost TS weeks. I had also heard reports that SFX is affiliated with Diamond, but can't confirm.

SFX also has a relationship of some sort with the Sheraton Buganvilias resort in Puerto Vallarta; it's pretty easy to get an exchange there and the costs can be less than MF on an ownership.

Bottom line for me is that you can do well with SFX if you play to their strengths, which in my experience have been Vidanta and Buganvilias. I've read of people getting decent Hawaiian exchanges through them. Generally I wind up banking a few Wyndham weeks with them to use up points in a year when there is a booking discount for a resort they accept - if I pick a decent season that they can get someone to exchange into they give me the occasional free week stay at Buganvilias or one of the lower tier Vidanta resorts.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

We can use HGV points to book SFX preferred resorts, so there is an affiliation. Mexico and California are highlighted so I agree with you, that is SFX primary market.

b58fd4e59b625a671661f494dfa6b315.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro