• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
On TUG, most people seem to trade with II and RCI. What do Tuggers think of SFX? Marriott trades with both II and SFX. What is trading power like with SFX? Which one would Tuggers recommend?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I would always use II for my Marriott weeks. I wouldn't give SFX a Marriott at this point. I have multiple deposits and have had very few matches to any of my searches. It's quite disappointing. I am certain I will lose deposits. SFX doesn't allow you to search. You have to enter a search and wait for a match, if they can even get a match. So time ticks by and nothing happens. It's very discouraging.

But that's me. You will have other people answer that SFX is great, best exchange company ever.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I have an ongoing search with SFX at the moment with a non-Marriott. They wanted me to deposit my Marriott. I told them this current OGS is a test. Match it (HI in Jun/Jul) and I'd consider depositing my Marriott. If it doesn't match, I won't deposit my Marriott.

On a potentially positive note, I deposited it with less than 1 month until checkin. As you are aware, this would have limited me to flex on II. SFX gave me full credit for it (they were able to fulfill someone else's request with my deposit). I was told the timeline did not affect my trade/search capability and I received a bonus week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally like SFX, but one has to also understand the 3 exchange companies pros/cons and limitations.

SFX is a much smaller "boutique" exchange company. I own HGVC, so I'm limited to RCI (no II for me) which means no access to Grand Luxxe for Vidanta resorts, no Marriott availability, etc.

SFX, on the other hand, has very good access (IMO) to Vidanta resorts (at least compared to RCI). Plus their fees are much more reasonable than RCI. I'm a diamond member, so my exchange fee is $149, I get free room upgrades, if available, free guest certificates, and the Vidanta resort fee is a flat $75 (RCI and II is now $12/adult/day which can add up).

That being said:
Is SFX perfect and right for everyone? No. Just like RCI/II/HGVC/etc aren't right/perfect for everyone.

If I owned a Marriott or Grand Luxxe unit, I probably wouldn't exchange it either (with ANY company). I'd probably rent it out and then pay cash elsewhere or something. For Marriott, I'd say it would depend on where you own. I wouldn't deposit a MOC (Marriott Ocean Club in Maui) for example. But if I owned a Marriott in Orlando, for example, and wanted a Grand Luxxe from Vidanta, I might consider it via SFX (although I think Marriott has II access, so I don't know what the II fees are for exchanging).

HGVC has very limited access with SFX directly, but sometimes it's cheaper for me to just use my SFX membership rather than the internal "exchange" with Hilton/SFX.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, SFX can get Mexico easily enough. That's great for those who love Mexico. You can also get San Francisco pretty easily.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
None of the big hotel affiliated resort systems (like Marriott) are affiliated with SFX, nor to do any of them do bulk space banking directly with SFX. SFX only gets (some) individual deposits, one at a time, from owners from those systems. Because these big systems are all affiliated with II and RCI, II and RCI get the vast majority of their deposits.

ALSO - with II you get the Marriott to Marriott priority - very valuable.

Last edited:

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
On TUG, most people seem to trade with II and RCI. What do Tuggers think of SFX? Marriott trades with both II and SFX. What is trading power like with SFX? Which one would Tuggers recommend?
My experience with "trade power" with SFX is that all timeshare weeks all more or less valued equallly in SFX. SFX is a lot pickier than II or RCI with timeshare weeks they will accept, for example, I have experienced them not accepting timeshares weeks for particular destinations during low seasons, and I have experienced them accepting timeshare weeks on short notice (like less than 30 days from check in) if it's a week they have requests against.
Of course, nobody from SFX will tell you that, instead they will tell you that Hilton and Marriott weeks are more valuable than other non-luxury brands, but what they wont tell is that only applies "all else being equal". Little in life is "all else being equal". For example, you might have a really desirable date in a non-luxury resort, or you might be able to deposit a bigger unit that SFX can then use to fulfill several requests by partitioning the unit, etc. Unlike II and RCI, there is no set formula in SFX to value timeshare weeks. In other words, an SFX rep has a freer hand to make exchange matches than either an II or RCI rep.

The biggest problem with SFX is lack of inventory. SFX is small, like 1/10th or less the size of II in terms of subscribers, and II is smaller than RCI. So, what I do is to call them to see if they can do an exchange for me before I deposit. I do not rely in On-Going Searches (OGS). I call them every week or so and talk to the SFX consultant to see if my desired destination is realistic given their inventory.
I do not deposit with SFX until I am assured by their reps that they have the destination I am looking for, and that my requested destination is on hold for me, pending my deposit.
If you follow my advice, you'll have a good relationship with SFX.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The problem is if everyone doesn't deposit first of course they will have no inventory.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The problem is if everyone doesn't deposit first of course they will have no inventory.
And another problem is, if you deposit first, they now have your week and not much incentive to get a match for you. I think I am at the back of the line a lot, and for that reason.

I was platinum and now diamond with SFX. I joined for ten years. I still have many years to go and very few exchanges to show for it.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Only Diamond members can request an exchange first without depositing:

https://www.sfxresorts.com/membership/programs/

Depending upon the timeshare company, not all require deposits. Meaning Vidanta has a good relationship with SFX (the vidanta "vida weeks" AFAIK, are actually SFX bonus weeks), so Vidanta tends to do some bulk deposits with SFX (again, not as much as II/RCI probably).

I guess my luck has been pretty good. I typically deposit 2-3 of my Hilton weeks and have little problem getting matches in Mexico and the Big Island (although probably easier for me with Hilton sometimes for Big Island). But then again I usually book 12-18 months out as well.

If one is interested, I say try the free/trial Diamond membership and see if it works for you.

RCI has "crap" for example, for Maui (only one resort that's even semi-decent and from the TripAdvisor reports it's not very nice at all). I ended up doing an "internal" exchange here on TUG with another owner at Marriott.

Again, not every exchange/timeshare company is for everyone. I know a lot of people that don't like HGVC because their lack of Maui and Caribbean resorts (Marriotts strongpoint, IMO), and HGVC only partners with RCI (I'd personally rather have II).

So it's good that people look at everything and decide for themselves what will work for them.

It would be nice if there was an "internal" exchange option with SFX (or any other exchange company) or if TUG could somehow get the programming to do something where you post what you *want* (TUG only lets you post what you *have* and then inside that listing you list what you want) and what you're willing to trade for it.

For example, I usually deposit my Las Vegas 1 BR Flamingo with SFX. But I really needed a 1 BR Maui, so I was willing to trade my 1 BR Lagoon Tower (Oahu) HGVC with a Marriott owner (plus some cash) to get the Maui unit.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I
And another problem is, if you deposit first, they now have your week and not much incentive to get a match for you. I think I am at the back of the line a lot, and for that reason.

I was platinum and now diamond with SFX. I joined for ten years. I still have many years to go and very few exchanges to show for it.

I get it. I have never used them but I have used DAE and Trading Places and I won't deposit first either. Worse comes to worse I will happily use the week I own.

JuliGee

Reaction score
None of the big hotel affiliated resort systems (like Marriott) are affiliated with SFX, nor to do any of them do bulk space banking directly with SFX. SFX only gets (some) individual deposits, one at a time, from owners from those systems. Because these big systems are all affiliated with II and RCI, II and RCI get the vast majority of their deposits.

ALSO - with II you get the Marriott to Marriott priority - very valuable.

Your first statement is incorrect information. They have a relationship with Hilton Grand Vacations Club. They have had that for a number of years.

II gets the largest share of Marriott deposits, which are used for a priority internal trading system for other Marriott owners.

Juli

JuliGee

Reaction score

We have been members of SFX for a number of years. We have been in the past members of both RCI and II. We joined SFX on advice from management at Marriott Newport Coast, and board of directors at Club Donatello. For the most part, we have had amazing results with exchanges and many bonus weeks. We deposit weeks that have very high trading power, and that is a huge plus in getting good results. No exchange company has a 100% track record, that just seems to be the nature of timeshare bookings.

But in the big picture, we have had a very high percentage of success, and paid less money than what RCI and II charge. I could go into details of what we have received, but I am wanting to keep this as brief as possible.

We usually deposit both our Marriott and Club Donatello weeks each year. We have lost interest in doing internal Marriott exchanges, and deposit that week with SFX because of all the perks they give for the deposits. For us, those perks outweigh doing internal Marriott exchanges. But if you are a Marriott owner, and only want a Marriott for your vacations, then you are better off just doing an internal priority Marriott trade which is managed by II for Marriott owners.

Like any exchange company, people praise them when they get good results, and whine about them when they don't.

Juli

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Really? People who have had bad results with SFX are "whiners"? It's OK to post about your good results, but let's not denigrate people who haven't had the same success.

Several years ago, I deposited my (expensive) Westin Ka'anapali week with SFX. Even though I requested it well in advance, for a broad range of dates, they couldn't find a week on Kauai for me, and Kauai has a ton of timeshares.

I finally exchanged it for Las Vegas, rather than lose the deposit, and the timeshare I got was in bad shape - it certainly did not live up to their advertised standard of only having high quality resorts.

That was the last time I deposited with them.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was waiting for JuliGee's post. It's inevitable. II is still the best for me lately. I used to love RCI, but not so much over the last 3 years. I am trying to give SFX a chance, but these rah-rah posts on SFX are annoying.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for JuliGee's post. It's inevitable. II is still the best for me lately. I used to love RCI, but not so much over the last 3 years. I am trying to give SFX a chance, but these rah-rah posts on SFX are annoying.

Have you tried calling a rep at SFX to inquire about any other ways to maybe increase your odds/success? I have one guy that I really like over there and deal with him exclusively, which helps as he understands my needs much better now that we have a history. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you called him (I'll PM you his extension).

I may have missed what you were depositing/looking for, but maybe can offer some advice/suggestions? (maybe not, I'm not sure). Although if I personally owned a Marriott Ocean Club in Maui, I wouldn't exchange it either (with anyone, for that matter). I'd either use it, or rent it out and then use the proceed to rent elsewhere. But I'm not familiar with how Marriott works, so there may be some reasons to use II for internal exchanges. (I own HGVC where "points are points" so I don't have an internal exchange to say, get into Hawaii even though I own at Vegas).

Unfortunately I have no experience with II, as much as I wish HGVC would partner with them. I've used RCI 3 times in about 12+ years, without an issue, I just dislike their fees, and the lack of quality resorts in some places. Once was my first Grand Mayan (after that found SFX which I had better success with for getting into Vidanta, plus I can get into Grand Luxxe), once for a Grand Bliss where I needed (2) 2 BR units and could only get one via RCI and one via SFX. Obviously the SFX one was cheaper to get (my sister wasn't thrilled about the $12/adult/day fee fees), and then I was able to get The Galleon for Key West (the only "RCI"-worthy resort, IMO, for Key West). But RCI is "included" with my HGVC membership, so it's a little different than pure RCI TPUs and such as well, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

I always suggest for someone to try SFX before they buy the lifetime membership or something. Now that RCI is buying DAE, not sure I'll give DAE a chance or not.

Anyway, hope this helps.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? People who have had bad results with SFX are "whiners"? It's OK to post about your good results, but let's not denigrate people who haven't had the same success.

Several years ago, I deposited my (expensive) Westin Ka'anapali week with SFX. Even though I requested it well in advance, for a broad range of dates, they couldn't find a week on Kauai for me, and Kauai has a ton of timeshares.

I finally exchanged it for Las Vegas, rather than lose the deposit, and the timeshare I got was in bad shape - it certainly did not live up to their advertised standard of only having high quality resorts.

That was the last time I deposited with them.

Ouch, I'd be a bit perturbed as well if I lost a Westin and ended up with a Vegas unit.
But now that I know you have Westin, if I need Maui again, I'll have to try to work something out with you. LOL!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm in the whiney group, deposited HGVC Hawaii twice and never got anything of that quality. I got Coronado Beach Club and Sedona Springs. The biggest difference was the amenities at the resorts (pools and activities).

I even paid for the platinum membership, which they discontinued and wanted me to pay again for the new diamond. I let it expire with two bonus weeks still in the account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'm in the whiney group, deposited HGVC Hawaii twice and never got anything of that quality. I got Coronado Beach Club and Sedona Springs. The biggest difference was the amenities at the resorts (pools and activities).

I even paid for the platinum membership, which they discontinued and wanted me to pay again for the new diamond. I let it expire with two bonus weeks still in the account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's really hard for us Hgvc owner when we want to trade it's either RCI or small companies that don't have the inventory or quality that is equivilant. In interval our Hgvc would get good trades. Too bad only a few of the affiliates can trade in II.

JuliGee

Reaction score

No, that is not what I said!! You have taken it completely out of context. "Like any exchange company, people praise them when they get good results, and whine about them when they don't".

Like any exchange company means "all exchange companies". And when you look through this site or any other site that talks about timeshares, there are thousands of negative complaints from people who didn't get their exchanges from "exchange companies", and many praises from people who do. My comment is based on how people post about exchange companies across the board!

Juli

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whining: to snivel or complain in a peevish, self-pitying way

IMNSHO, "whining" was a poor choice of words to describe legitimate consumer complaints aganst exchange companies.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really hard for us Hgvc owner when we want to trade it's either RCI or small companies that don't have the inventory or quality that is equivilant. In interval our Hgvc would get good trades. Too bad only a few of the affiliates can trade in II.

Hear Hear! LOL!
At one point I was actually looking at Marriott or Wyndham just to get into II. But with the resale "feature" that Marriott has now, I got rid of that idea. Still undecided about Wyndham.

On the plus side, I found another TUG member who owns Marriott who was willing to work with me to do an internal exchange, so that may be an option as well (may be a little more than say, II/RCI, but for an occasional trade or something I have no problem with it).

It seems Marriott is strong in Maui and Caribbean (probably other places as well). Hilton is well, non-existent there, and RCI doesn't have very good quality resorts (IMO) there either.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you get a southwest Florida affiliate week with Hgvc you can have the best of all worlds, desirable place, Hgvc and II. I got a winter flex week at Eagles Nest on Marco Island and the best thing great price with no ROFR.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hear Hear! LOL!
At one point I was actually looking at Marriott or Wyndham just to get into II. But with the resale "feature" that Marriott has now, I got rid of that idea. Still undecided about Wyndham.

On the plus side, I found another TUG member who owns Marriott who was willing to work with me to do an internal exchange, so that may be an option as well (may be a little more than say, II/RCI, but for an occasional trade or something I have no problem with it).

It seems Marriott is strong in Maui and Caribbean (probably other places as well). Hilton is well, non-existent there, and RCI doesn't have very good quality resorts (IMO) there either.

If you get a southwest Florida affiliate week with Hgvc you can have the best of all worlds, desirable place, Hgvc and II. I got a winter flex week at Eagles Nest on Marco Island and the best thing great price with no ROFR.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wish the alternate exchange companies could compete with the two main exchange companies. It would be wonderful if SFX had as many opportunities as II, and even RCI, but they just do not. I would love to use another company besides RCI, believe me. The high fees I pay, and the lesser quality resorts do not impress me one bit.

But SFX has some resorts that are not top quality, sorry to say, and if you get those as exchanges, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

I am hoping to at least get something in San Francisco for July of 2018 through SFX. I can get it with my Shell points easily enough, but I am trying to use SFX, so I entered that search a few months ago.

I believe there is a pecking order for successful exchanges with SFX. Some people rave on and on about their wonderful exchanges and how they get exactly the dates they desire and don't even have to be flexible with searches and areas.

I also have other searches for SFX. One bedroom units offered for two bedrooms I deposited do not cut it for me at all. I have even deposited 3 bedrooms at Peacock Suites, when I had points I had to use. Will I ever get a 3 bedroom for that deposit? Doubtful.

Last edited: