• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX any good?

Tumblindice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker
I understand that SFX is an alternative to RCI, II, etc. Anyone have experience or input?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never had any luck with them...there are others here that love them. I think it all depends on where you want to go

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that SFX is an alternative to RCI, II, etc. Anyone have experience or input?

There's numerous threads on this. Basically, just like everything else, YMMV.

SFX is a much smaller exchange than RCI/II, and as such they will have less inventory.
Their "strong suit" (IMO) is Mexico with Vidanta, Hacienda del Mar, and Sheraton Buganvilias.
They also have a good relationship with Hilton (hence those Vidanta weeks you see via HGV are actually SFX exchanges, not RCI albeit with much higher point costs than depositing your HGV week with SFX and exchanging, IMO). They often have inventory with Hilton for Big Island and Oahu, as well as Florida. There's been numerous times I can't get anything via HGV but SFX will have inventory for Hawaii.

Before shelling out anything for the memberships I'd advise to take advantage of the free offering and see how it goes. Personally, I'm a Dimaond Lifetime member, and it's paid for itself twice via the free upgrades (I deposit a 1 BR vegas week and get 2 BR Exchanges) plus the discounted exchange fee and free guest certs. But I'm also typically flexible with my search requests AND I place them typically 18 months in advance. If you have a very specific set of dates (ie: Spring break, etc.) and cannot request 18-24 months in advance, it probably won't work for you (plus if you're only wanting specific resorts).

Their customer service is excellent, IMO. Especially Nathan at SFX, although my understanding is that he's gotten a promotion with the company and is less customer direct facing (he trains the reps last I heard).

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Their customer service is excellent, IMO. Especially Nathan at SFX, although my understanding is that he's gotten a promotion with the company and is less customer direct facing (he trains the reps last I heard).

+1 on this. I sent Nathan an email the other day, asking if he was still involved in Customer Service. I received a reply from another agent, who said Nathan had asked her to respond. She said he is now supervising the Call Centers. I'm waiting to see if this new agent provides the same good level of service Nathan always did.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Their relationship with Hilton can make a difference, if you love the Hilton resorts. With SFX, the HIlton resorts do not have the $30 per day daily fee, at least not for now. I wish all Hilton members would deposit into SFX, but that's not going to happen. SFX does have a lot of inventory with Hilton. We don't go to Mexico so we haven't tried the Vidanta resorts, but our daughter did and loved her week we got with SFX for her.

Once you establish an ongoing email conversation with one rep at SFX, you can get some great exchanges, but if you just put in a search and wait and wait and wait, there is very little chance you will get anything. I don't know why their system does not work like RCI and II, but it doesn't.

Don't think you can deposit anything that is considered still red in II or RCI but is even slightly off-season with SFX. You will be disappointed in everything you get for exchange.

I have many deposits still sitting in SFX, waiting for exchanges. I am talking 8 or 9. So I can enter a request and not get a thing. But the other day, Nathan emailed me and said he could get one of my very recent requests, a 1 bedroom at Hilton Kingsland. I took it, but I told him I still need a 2 bed, 2 bath for our son. I hope to get it, but I would guess my trading power is lacking for that.

I think SFX would love to be done with me. I may request some Hiltons in Orlando for our kids and grandkids in January, which would use up all of my deposits. That would be great to be done with it.

So I am not going to complain about SFX anymore. There is no reason for me to always be negative, when Nathan, in particular, has understood my frustration and definitely sees my posts here. About a year ago, I said something about SFX and don't use them, that I have deposits with them that are going to just expire, and he emailed me and said he would not let my deposits expire. So he saw my post. He is a nice guy, and I appreciate that he got me one more exchange I can use in July, which is a tough month to get, especially with people going to Hawaii this summer. Inventory in all of the exchange companies is limited.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
+1 on this. I sent Nathan an email the other day, asking if he was still involved in Customer Service. I received a reply from another agent, who said Nathan had asked her to respond. She said he is now supervising the Call Centers. I'm waiting to see if this new agent provides the same good level of service Nathan always did.

Dave
Nathan gets mentioned a lot.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I'm a fan. 3x trades to Hawaii (HGVC, DRI, and Kauai Beach Villas) using our Vacation Village Resort weeks. Great customer service; horrible website. They have Gold (free) and Diamond (paid) level memberships; recommend diamond-level membership. As I stated in other posts, I'm convinced diamond level members get better trades (first dibs?).
Give it a try and see if it works for you.