• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seven nights at Pulse South Beach

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I recently spent a full week at the new Pulse South Beach. Since I've used so much of the information that others have posted here I thought it only right I fill the group in on this new property. The new South Beach location is a conversion of the former Edgewater Hotel located in the heart of South Beach. It has an ideal location on Ocean Boulevard, two doors up from 14th Street fronting Lummus Park which sits between Ocean Blvd and the beach. This is a historic zone with none of the skyscraper properties that dominate the landscape a few blocks north. The beach is just steps away.

There is no sign visible from the street. It’s a zoning issue. The front of the building is taken up by Havana 57, a chain restaurant with sidewalk seating and bright red awnings (and not related to the Pulse). Look for the red awnings, the entrance to the Marriott is dead center of the restaurant, up two steps and then you’ll see an interior sign.

The lobby is temporary, a new one is under construction. The staff we encountered were very good especially under circumstances. They were always gracious and helpful, particularly our daily housekeeper, Ivis. Unlike our timeshares, this property seems to be treating every unit as a hotel room that is attended to daily.

The great calling card for the Pulse South Beach is its location. Everything you might want and expect out of a South Beach visit is within short walking distance - the beach, the Art Deco historic architecture, great restaurants, museums, shopping and even a drag queen show. There is a walking/bicycling trail paralleling the beach just across the street and walking south on Ocean Drive you pass some of the best examples of Art Deco in the country. We had a rental car that we parked (see below) and never saw again until it was time to move on, a real waste of money. When they finally finish the renovations this will be an extremely sought-after destination for good reason.

I saw two room styles, both categorized as studios. Neither looked anything like what is currently shown on the website but the renovated rooms are very new. Ours was absolutely wonderful with a full bedroom, an L-shaped living room and eat-in kitchenette as well as a large outdoor deck with lounge chairs. The eat-in-kitchen has wonderful natural light from both a glass door leading to our private deck and a glass wall facing east. My understanding is that this configuration is unique to one per floor as it wraps around the elevators. The kitchenette was not dissimilar to other VC studios we’ve been in. The 5:00 wine event was being hosted on our floor and a couple down the hall invited everyone attending - four other couples during the time we were there - into their “studio” unit which I understand is more typical than ours. It was a large single rectangle with a small patio at the back and an elongated kitchenette with enough cabinetry for a full kitchen and a two-burner electric cooktop as well as the microwave. It has no table however.

All this being said, Pulse South Beach is not ready for prime time and the destination points they are charging for it are unwarranted. I was annoyed at myself for believing that the renovations would be complete for our arrival but it turned out that everyone at that afternoon wine event were all under the same impression. That was far from the case. Moving through the building we were competing with construction crews for both elevator access and quiet. We woke up to jackhammers and drilling just outside our room. Construction crews and equipment were everywhere, especially at the lobby level where a new wall was in the process of being built. The workers were very polite and thoughtful but there's only so much you can do in such limited space.

As disturbingly, little of the time and attention to detail that I would expect in a Marriott VC property was happening. The most basic of checklists were either skipped or ignored. When we first arrived we quickly saw our unit and the went to collect our luggage; by the time we got back it was dark and much to our surprise there was no light in the living/kitchenette area apart from a small ceiling hall light near the entrance door. We had a couch, a chair, a few of those round metal tables but we couldn’t see. I tipped a housekeeper to find me a lamp and used one of the round tables as a stand. We later discovered that there is no light at all in the small kitchen table area so while it is beautiful while the sun is out, it’s totally dark afterwards. Nor is there any additional lighting over the kitchenette counter.

When they delivered our first breakfast basket we discovered that while we had a small assortment of dishes, there was no silverware. While they quickly brought some, shouldn’t that been on someone’s checklist? Same thing happened to some of the other couples. At least one of the electric outlets was only functional in one plug. The television in the living room works great, the one in the bedroom isn’t connected. The newly renovated bathroom is beautifully designed but the covering of the sink pedestal was ripped off at one corner and someone tried to make it right by smearing what looks like joint compound over the affected area. The toilet seat isn’t set correctly and swings left and right. The shower enclosure leaks all over the floor; upon closer examination the water seal on the bottom of the shower door isn’t low enough and the clear vinyl strip that run vertically doesn’t go all the way to the bottom leaving a big gap. Until we used a rolled up washcloth to stem the flow a lake was created from every shower. All of this indicates an embarrassing lack of attention to detail at the design, construction and operational management levels.

Our unit had a strong “new construction” smell when we arrived that only tempered because we had a few days of mild temperatures and were able to air the place out. In a vacation condo building that I’m an owner in on a full-year basis we had to replace all of our carpeting and the first thing we did after installation was to get the carpets steam-cleaned in order to reduce the chemical odor. Do you mean to say that the Marriott operation couldn’t figure that out?

Beyond that, they have apparently been taking bookings that they can’t support. At one point we passed a couple in the lobby clearly aggravated about something; a few days later we ran across them outside a restaurant where they pulled us aside and told us how when they went to check in they were sent to a lesser facility down the street and when they complained about that they were moved yet again. They were also Marriott owners. Clearly there is a startling lack of responsible management, it isn’t what we're used to from this organization.

Someday this property will be wonderful and I’m looking forward to returning when it is. Give it a year.

Parking
There is valet parking at the Pulse, I believe it’s $40 a day. For $16 a day you can park at a public garage a few blocks away at 16th & Collins. Check out http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking for a list of all nearby public garages and their rates. Worked well for me.

Restaurants
Pane e Vino, 1450 Washington Ave, about three blocks from Pulse. Look for the chef making pasta in the window. Among the best Italian restaurants we’ve ever been to including our travels in Italy, knew about it before coming down and ordered takeout the first night there, went back twice.

La Sandwicherie, 229 14th St., about two blocks from Pulse. Absolutely wonderful sandwich shop located right behind the massive white Walgreens. Just walk down 14th and you’ll see people sitting at a counter, almost always a line. Their baguettes come from a French bakery a few blocks away.

Puerto Sagua, 700 Collins Ave, about nine blocks away but worth the walk. This is a classic Cuban diner, been around over fifty years. Try their oxtail stew, it’s a succulent dish served with rice and plantains and comes out of the kitchen in a matter of minutes. Every forkful reminds you that it has been simmering for what must be days to reach the intense flavor that soaks into the rice.

Last edited:

Bnov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great review! You have served the MVC TUG community well by letting us know the details (positive and negative) of your experience. It will be interesting to track how this property responds to the issues you identified. It's unsettling to know that these items weren't anticipated and haven't been addressed, but let's hope the management seeks honest feedback, learns quickly and responds quickly to make them right.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Does the public garage have in/out privileges?

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a downtown public garage with 800+ spaces, you pay by the hour with a maximum of $16 per day. The hourly rates are listed on the website.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, this is what it looks like as you're driving down the street. When we drove in only our GPS was confident we were in the right place.

IMG_5243.JPG