• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling unused CUP points

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I sometimes end up with unused CUP points... I've seen posts where people were selling these, and it's something I'd consider doing rather than just put them into Interval EEE or let them expire worthless. In the past I've gifted extra points to family members so they could take a 4-day trip etc., but I've never tried selling them.

I was not sure, is this allowed under Hyatt rules (deeded week, not portfolio)? I was under the impression that you could only rent out your owned deeded unit and week. Is this just a rule that most ignore, and so they just make the reservation on behalf of the renter and get a guest certificate in their name?

Also was not sure where a good place to list the availability of points to purchase would be. Do people trade these on the TUG boards? I've seen them listed on Facebook here and there. Also is there a commonly accepted going rate for points if they are being sold? I have no idea what to charge. Based on maintenance fees I probably pay around $1 per point per year, would you say this is a reasonable price to ask?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
There is no way to transfer points from one account to another. You could make a reservation, buy a guest certificate, and violate every rule Hyatt has in the process.

I'd just send them to Interval and use them sometime during the next two years. This isn't an investment. It's a toy. Renting it out makes as much sense as renting toys to children.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it goes against a rule and that most people who are renting just don’t care because Hyatt fails to enforce that rule. I think if you are not running a business renting things out, then you are probably ok. I feel like I am going to catch flack for saying that on here though.

My cost in maintenance fees is roughly $1/point, so if you are only looking to break even and not profiting (further underscoring the fact that this is not a business because there is no profit), that seems like a fair ballpark.

I have never rented anything so, not sure where to post. Maybe in the ad section here on TUG?

Reactions: bdh

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it goes against a rule and that most people who are renting just don’t care because Hyatt fails to enforce that rule. I think if you are not running a business renting things out, then you are probably ok. I feel like I am going to catch flack for saying that on here though.

My cost in maintenance fees is roughly $1/point, so if you are only looking to break even and not profiting (further underscoring the fact that this is not a business because there is no profit), that seems like a fair ballpark.

I have never rented anything so, not sure where to post. Maybe in the ad section here on TUG?

But here's the thing -- let's say one of us wanted to give the other 400 leftover CUP points. How?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
But here's the thing -- let's say one of us wanted to give the other 400 leftover CUP points. How?
The person with the points would need to make a reservation / guest certificate. I never said the process is efficient. My guess is it was designed to be inefficient as an intentional feature.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The person with the points would need to make a reservation / guest certificate. I never said the process is efficient. My guess is it was designed to be inefficient as an intentional feature.

That isn't the same as me giving you points. Let's say you needed 400 in order to snag a week in Carmel -- you've got 1480 and you need 1880. I can't give them to you. There is no mechanism.

This is by design. They didn't want people to be able to do this -- just like they didn't want people to be able to buy extra points. The fact it's a closed system (with no points going in or out) is one reason we're generally happier than average timeshare owners.