• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling Timeshare / ROFR Fees

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to sell two timeshare weeks - one of which I already have an interested party who has given me an offer. I feel that this offer will be sufficient to pass ROFR, but with Marriott you never know. The offer is relatively low, so I don't stand to benefit significantly, and I'd prefer to minimize the fees and costs associated with selling the timeshare.

With that said, if Marriott chose to execute the ROFR, what would be the fees due to me other than the $95 prior to transfer of ownership? I'm concerned that I am selling this week at a very low price already, but I don't want unexpected fees to eat up every bit of the purchase price.

Also - what would be your recommendation for the best avenue to sell my timeshare with the least amount hassle without paying exorbitant fees and closing costs? I certainly don't want to do everything myself. I have one property that is a high demand resort/season, so I'm hopeful that I can get a bit more to sell this relatively soon.

Thank you for your feedback!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If Marriott exercises ROFR, you pay nothing. Except perhaps a notary fee for acknowledging your signature on the deed.

This is based on Marriott ROFR'ing one of my units last year.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
List on Redweek and TUG. Buyer usually pays all closing cost. With the exception of Hawaii many of us recommend LTTransfers.com for low cost efficient closings. For Hawaii, Paul Larkin at https://www.timeshareclosinggroup.com is my goto closing agent. (Hawaii requires funds escrow be done by Hawaii entity.)

Last edited:

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the impact on deposited weeks in interval from previous years if I were to sell my timeshares?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
What is the impact on deposited weeks in interval from previous years if I were to sell my timeshares?
Would just need to keep II account active through final usage.

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Marriott were to ROFR my week, would I be refunded on the MF I just paid?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also - what would be your recommendation for the best avenue to sell my timeshare with the least amount hassle without paying exorbitant fees and closing costs? I certainly don't want to do everything myself. I have one property that is a high demand resort/season, so I'm hopeful that I can get a bit more to sell this relatively soon.

Why don't you call Marriott and see what they will offer you for it. If they make you an offer, you will eliminate the uncertainties and know exactly what you are getting...

George

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Marriott were to ROFR my week, would I be refunded on the MF I just paid?
When Marriott exercises ROFR, they assume the place of the original buyer with the exact same terms of the contract. So, if the original buyer was to reimburse you for current year's maintenance fees under the contract, Marriott would also be required to do that.

-ryan

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don't you call Marriott and see what they will offer you for it. If they make you an offer, you will eliminate the uncertainties and know exactly what you are getting...

George
I didn't realize that was an option. I'm going to assume I'd get lowballed, and that might be a problem for MGO as that is a high demand resort.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume I'd get low balled, and that might be a problem for MGO as that is a high demand resort.
You lose nothing by comparing Marriott's offer (assuming there is one) to the offer you have in hand. You never know. You might be pleasantly surprised...

George

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was interesting. I'm not surprised that Marriott is not interested in buying the MGV week, but they are also not interested in MGO. They did offer a listing agreement of which I'd receive 50% of the proceeds. I would've been willing to consider selling to Marriott at that 50% price or perhaps even lower, but that was not offered.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Might be worth it to list with Marriott, while selling on your own. 50% of their high sales price may exceed what you get resale, particularly if broker brings you a buyer.

No cost to use all the channels, i.e., direct marketing, non-exclusive broker listing and Marriott Resales.

Last edited:

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed - I wonder how close the 50% split compares to the ROFR amount?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might be with it to list with Marriott, while selling on your own. 50% of their high sales price may exceed what you get resale, particularly if broker brings you a buyer.

No cost to use all the channels, i.e., direct marketing, non-exclusive broker listing and Marriott Resales.

The only problem with listing it with Marriott is that it could take years until your week comes up on the list. It all depends on how many folks are waiting ahead of you.

In the meantime you continue to pay annual fees, but you also have annual home occupancy or exchange use. Maybe that's good for you, maybe it isn't.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was interesting. I'm not surprised that Marriott is not interested in buying the MGV week, but they are also not interested in MGO. They did offer a listing agreement of which I'd receive 50% of the proceeds. I would've been willing to consider selling to Marriott at that 50% price or perhaps even lower, but that was not offered.
MGO Platinum?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Might be with it to list with Marriott, while selling on your own. 50% of their high sales price may exceed what you get resale, particularly if broker brings you a buyer.

Sure it wasn't a 40% commission, where you get 60%? Or did Marriott just increase their commission by 25%?

sportsfan1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The week is an MGO Platinum - which surprises me that they were not interested in buying. It's obviously a high demand week. They also stated specifically that it was a 50% commission share. They gave me their price - of which 50% would be my share. But at their prices, I'm not sure how it would ever sell. Like I said - I would've considered selling to Marriott at that 50% rate - perhaps slightly lower. I also did not like the fact that I'd be in a queue - who knows how long it is?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also did not like the fact that I'd be in a queue - who knows how long it is?

About 30 years ago I was in a queue when I had Marriott sell my Sabal Palms Week for me. The bad news is I was in the queue about 3 years. The good news is that I pretty much netted what I had paid for my Week (it was a pre-construction purchase) even after their then 20% commission. The other plus is they rented my Week for me each of the 3 years I was in the queue and I netted (again after their 20% commission) in excess of my MFs. Back then they were great to deal with...

George

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
OP stated sales commission is 50%. I recently read that they have reduced their commission on rentals from 60% to 50%
Marriott doesn't really have a commission on rentals. Years ago (prior to 2009) they would rent your week and take a commission out of whatever they rented it for. Now, they just make you a flat offer, no commission.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott doesn't really have a commission on rentals. Years ago (prior to 2009) they would rent your week and take a commission out of whatever they rented it for. Now, they just make you a flat offer, no commission.
It is rather different for the European resorts though.
if they are willing to take on your week(s) at all, they offer no guarantees as to whether you will receive a full week rent or just a part week rent or potentially nothing at all.
So here the rental programme is really a non starter for most owners.