• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling pre-owned jewelry?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Is there a good market for pre-owned jewelry?

I recently had to part with my lovely piano :( to fund my kids therapies (& my occasional therapy vacations :) ). Now I'm feeling like liquidating...I have an emerald and diamond necklace & a diamond necklace. Maybe a ruby necklace. These are pieces my DH bought me before we were married and when we were in love. I haven't touched them in at least 8 years or so...I'd just as well have the money instead at this point.

Anyhow, do people buy "used" jewelry?

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
Like anything else including timeshares the problem with selling 'used' jewellry is finding the market. The person that makes the money is the broker who buys up jewellry or who can unite buyer and seller. I've found many a jewellry bargain at pawn shops, used is new to the buyer, just like timeshares.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:
Anyhow, do people buy "used" jewelry?

YES! Just visit any pawn shop & all you will find is "used" jewlery.

We have bought used jewlery, it was new to us :)

Consider ebay as well as a place to look at going prices.

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Look for a local jewelry store that deals in "used" jewelry. They will at least give you an idea of value and you can decide if you want to continue.

hoosiermarty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a pawn shop that I trusted would be fairly honest with the value. I also had the same kind of jewelry. I couldn't stand to look at it and it was either a sledge hammer to it or pawn it, so I did the latter.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the jewelry is quality workmanship and materials, there is definitely a secondary market for it. If you have gemologist/jewler (not insurance) appraisals which are less than 5 years old, they should give a general idea of value, if the pieces are contemporary. Vintage/antique pieces should be appraised immediately before sale.

I've bought an sold a pretty good amount of jewelry on eBay, mostly vintage/antique pieces. Bought my wife's e-ring on Ebay 7 years ago, as well as her eternity/wedding band. We've sold off some of her jewelry from her prior marriage which she didn't wear anymore. I also buy and sell vintage watches there.

Personally, I place auctions with a low starting bid and a reserve at about 60% of the appraised value. If there's no interest or success after a couple of re-lists, I evaluate whether I want to liquidate the item or hold on to it.

Just like with timeshares, I've gotten some smokin' good deals on eBay, with some diamond pieces appraising for 6-8 times what I paid for them. Best deal so far was a .31ct diamond tie tac set in a vintage white gold setting. Paid 230.00; appraised for 1750.00. Appraiser couldn't get over someone putting such a high quality diamond in a tie-tac. Hence my advice to have your pieces appraised by a gemologist or jeweler you trust. You just never know ;)

Pat

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
It is quality jewelry...

Thank you for the suggestions :) . I will check with the local jeweler and the place where the pieces were purchased. Maybe I can get our money back after all, or at least a good chunk of it!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a local jeweler friend who was selling "pre-owned jewelry". Unfortunately he doing time now as it wasn't his stuff.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Check around with the various stores in the area. One of our best jewelers in my area has a section of cabinet in their stores for "estate jewlery". They take the items on a consignment basis for a period of time and of course get a percentage of the final sale. I sold a bracelet this way several years ago.