• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling my TS

Kittenkits

Reaction score
I read the selling TS sticky but I think I would like to use an agent to sell it. Or at least an agency to do the paperwork. I'm afraid of really screwing something up in the signing in regards to weeks, MFs or who knows what else.

But I was also thinking an agent could get me the best possible price. That's true for residential real estate generally, but what about vacation real estate?

Does anyone have an agent to recommend or do you think I should do it myself (here? on ebay? ads in papers?). If I find a buyer myself does anyone recommend someone for the paperwork aspect?

Thanks!

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closing companies handle all of your paperwork so no worries there. Although you may choose one, the buyer always pays the closing company.

You do bring up another point that does need more discussion here. Although I'm sure you know you should not pay an up front fee, can a reputable agent (one that does not take up front fees) get you more money for your timeshare?

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that they could (if you are patient enough).

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
Kittenkits said:
I read the selling TS sticky but I think I would like to use an agent to sell it. Or at least an agency to do the paperwork. I'm afraid of really screwing something up in the signing in regards to weeks, MFs or who knows what else.
But I was also thinking an agent could get me the best possible price. That's true for residential real estate generally, but what about vacation real estate?
Does anyone have an agent to recommend or do you think I should do it myself (here? on ebay? ads in papers?). If I find a buyer myself does anyone recommend someone for the paperwork aspect?
Thanks!
Nothing stops you from listing with multiple agents (that do not charge an upfront fee) and trying to sell it yourself (as long as you do not give the agent an exclusive listing.) Try Trish at www.timesharing2000.com or Shelly at www.transactionrealty.com.
boyblue said:
Closing companies handle all of your paperwork so no worries there. Although you may choose one, the buyer always pays the closing company.

You do bring up another point that does need more discussion here. Although I'm sure you know you should not pay an up front fee, can a reputable agent (one that does not take up front fees) get you more money for your timeshare?

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that they could (if you are patient enough).
All closing companies are not efficient, so I would not say 'No worries.' The buyer does not always pay the closing company, anything can be agreed upon or negotiated.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As Spence said, the decision about paying for the closing company is negotiable. As a buyer, though, if I am paying for the closing company I insist on selecting the closing company. If I am not paying for the closing company, I insist on being able to agree to the company selected by the seller.

Kittenkits

Reaction score
I contacted the 2 suggested realtors.

If anyone else has suggestions please forward them along.

If I sold on ebay, how would I work closing?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It may be best to contact a known title and escrow company that does timeshare closing - First American, Old Republic, and Chicago Title Companies have offices/agents that speciallize in TSs - they may cost slighty more. TSs are not that difficult closing-wise (compared to other real estate), and not that costly.

As other threads have discussed... establishing a 'true' value for your TS is key. eBay could do that, but make sure you list/advertise properly.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kittenkits said:
But I was also thinking an agent could get me the best possible price. That's true for residential real estate generally, but what about vacation real estate?!
Generally that's not true.

Someitmes an agent may obtain a higher sales price than you could listing it yourself, but after commission you will net less. And in many cases an agent won't be able to produce any higher sales price.

Most of the time you will net more by listing it yourself and pricing it aggressively than placing it with an agent who will price it higher.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kittenkits said:
If I sold on ebay, how would I work closing?

You can handle closing any way that you want; eBay doesn't seem to get involved with closing at all. So, you could say in your ad that you plan to use a specific closing company, or that the buyer can choose the company.

Many eBay sellers pad their prices by charging inflated closing costs, or by charging a "closing fee" for paperwork that they do themselves. If you sell on eBay, I suggest clearly stating that you are charging only the actual closing costs charged by an independant closing company.