• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii_Guy99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Elara
Greetings everyone and thank you for taking your time to even read this.

I've been scouring this site but couldn't find all of the answers to the questions I had so I finally decided to post them and try my luck here.

First of all, I want to just get rid of my Hilton Timeshare in its entirety. I just got my first full-time job so I don't even have time to really go on vacation and realized i won't be able to use all the benefits til much further into the future so at this point I can't even make use of it :bawl: Here are my questions:

1. Can I sell my property even without fully paying off the loan?

2. I assume if I still haven't paid the loan, even if I sold it to someone I would still have the loan, correct? But at least I can put the sell price towards it?

3. If I sold my Timeshare, would I also be giving up on my RCI account? Or is that just with me until I cancel it myself?

I have just emailed a few brokers about their rates and what they can do for me and I've checked all the sites on the Timeshare Resell Sticky Thread.

I appreciate all of the help and thank you all for your time.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC

I've been scouring this site but couldn't find all of the answers to the questions I had so I finally decided to post them and try my luck here.

First of all, I want to just get rid of my Hilton Timeshare in its entirety. I just got my first full-time job so I don't even have time to really go on vacation and realized i won't be able to use all the benefits til much further into the future so at this point I can't even make use of it :bawl: Here are my questions:

2. I assume if I still haven't paid the loan, even if I sold it to someone I would still have the loan, correct? But at least I can put the sell price towards it?

3. If I sold my Timeshare, would I also be giving up on my RCI account? Or is that just with me until I cancel it myself?

I have just emailed a few brokers about their rates and what they can do for me and I've checked all the sites on the Timeshare Resell Sticky Thread.

I am not an expert on selling timeshares, but you can’t sell your timeshare with an outstanding loan balance on it, just like a house, all liens and mortgages have to be paid up for buyer to get free and clear title. Brokers will not be able to help you. I would strongly suggest holding on to your timeshare, enjoy and use it, and pay off your loan. Maybe one of the timeshare mavens can chime in with their suggestions, good luck!!!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

1 and 2) No, unfortunately the loan balance must be zero (although there may be some odd way to "sell" it, take the proceeds, but you'll have to cut a check/etc. for the difference like when you "trade in" a car with a loan on it or something). For the latter option, a broker would be the best to advise you. I'd try Diane Nadeau at timesharebrokersales.com

3) Yes, unless you have another timeshare with an RCI account. Your RCI account is granted by virtue of Hilton's Corporate account. It's not like some other timeshares where you manually enroll in RCI at will.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
First off, many of us feel your pain and have been there.

When you say you just got your first full time job, are you saying that you do not have any Vacation time as a benefit?

As much as I despise our first T/S purchase, it DID get us to take regular vacations. That is important too.

You need to realize that the purchase price of a T/S from a developer is mostly marketing and sales commission. That is why the resale market is so dismal.

Some of life's lesson's can end up costing the equivelent of a college education. I would suggest you explore on how to use your purchase to its maximum.

One thing I discovered after our first developer purchase was that if we owned within a day's drive, we were likely to use it and we have.

It is important to be able to take time off an recharge.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Another option. You can rent out your unit during your home week to offset maint fees and pay off your mortgage. Check out redweek and Tug listings for comparable rental pricing

Last edited:
Reactions: DrQ

Hawaii_Guy99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Elara
Thanks for your replies, they really helped me out! Things are going to be a little difficult but still doable once my wife and I crunched some numbers.

When you say you just got your first full time job, are you saying that you do not have any Vacation time as a benefit?

For my first year I need to accumulate PTO as it isn't just given out once i started so unless I want to just take unpaid leave I can't use PTO til later into the year...

I guess i'm just stuck with this until I fully pay it off so I guess I should make use of it one way or another. Thanks again for all of your help and expect me to post more questions as time goes on

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
For my first year I need to accumulate PTO as it isn't just given out once i started so unless I want to just take unpaid leave I can't use PTO til later into the year...
Been there. I've had to dump a week or two of T/S when I have changed jobs.

Stick with it and work through it. This is a great place to get advice on how to use what you have. Good luck with your new job.