• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sell HGVC points

RCE-Ohio

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Parc Soleil Orlando, Fl
Hello. I am new here but have banged around in the forums for awhile and learned a lot. My question may be answered somewhere in the forums or advice sections but I just can't seem to find specifically what I am looking for, especially as it relates to HGVC. So I apologize in advance if my post is redundant.

I own a deeded HGVC TS in Parc Soleil FL resort. I have points that I just can not use and I've already paid fees to transfer previous years points forward but I just still can not use the points. I now have points that will just expire because it appears I can not move them forward again. From what I have read in various places here on TUG there is a way to sell my banked points. So I am looking for and need some definitive advice/instruction/method on how to go about selling my points. Be it via some internal department with HGVC, an external broker, somewhere here on TUG or whatever may be an appropriate means. Hopefully, this post makes sense and Thank You for your time in advance!!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's actually against the HGVC rules to rent out your points. If you feel comfortable breaking the rules, you can make a reservation and then rent it out.

RCE-Ohio

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Parc Soleil Orlando, Fl
Presley - Thank you for the response. Can't say I'm happy to hear the answer but it is what it is I guess. I suppose that rule is buried somewhere deep in the fine print. So, as a follow up question - I am wondering what the HGVC response is if they find I've broken the rules and rented out a reservation made with my points to a 3rd party? Fine me? What is their recourse against such an action?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Their easiest response would be to not honor the reservation leaving you with a very unhappy purchaser. But my only actual experience with this sort of thing was getting them to put my home week reservation in my mother-in-law's name (since she was arriving first) and the rep on the phone said something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, I don't think I can do that...oh wait, it's a home week reservation...I'd be happy to help you." I'm sure there are others with more pertinent experiences.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, as a follow up question - I am wondering what the HGVC response is if they find I've broken the rules and rented out a reservation made with my points to a 3rd party? Fine me? What is their recourse against such an action?
I don't know if there ever has been any recourse. There is a lot of speculation here about what can happen, but I don't know if anything ever did happen.

I am a no longer a HGVC owner, but if I were and I wanted to risk renting out a reservation, I would make sure the renter knew the "rule" before accepting any money from them. You can purchase a guest certificate for any reservation. You are paying to put someone else's name on the reservation. They do not ask if you rented it out or if you are gifting it or exchanging it. You wouldn't want the person you rented to to say at check in or the owner's update, "I rented this week from an owner." They can be a guest of yours, but not a paying guest. If you look through the Marketplace, you'll certainly find plenty of HGVC owners renting out reservations. So, it can be done and is often done.

Another way to use expiring points is to book a week and deposit it into a small exchange company for a future exchange. When someone books the week through the exchange company, you have to call HGVC and pay for a guest certificate in their name.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presley - Thank you for the response. Can't say I'm happy to hear the answer but it is what it is I guess. I suppose that rule is buried somewhere deep in the fine print. So, as a follow up question - I am wondering what the HGVC response is if they find I've broken the rules and rented out a reservation made with my points to a 3rd party? Fine me? What is their recourse against such an action?

If you book your home week, you are allowed to rent it (although I don't know if you can book a home week with saved points?)

If you use a *points* reservation, you're technically not allowed to rent it. What happens in vegas, stays in vegas.

You could possibly also deposit those points into RCI and book a vacation there (do not rent RCI exchanges, that's also not allowed).

Hope this helps!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If you book your home week, you are allowed to rent it (although I don't know if you can book a home week with saved points?)

If you use a *points* reservation, you're technically not allowed to rent it. What happens in vegas, stays in vegas.

You could possibly also deposit those points into RCI and book a vacation there (do not rent RCI exchanges, that's also not allowed).

Hope this helps!
You cannot book a home week with saved points. It would be a club reservation with saved points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
As a last resort can use your soon to expire points to pay your annual maintenance fees. This option available on website or by calling.
e.g. I think 1000 points is worth $100 using this option etc.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
As a last resort can use your soon to expire points to pay your annual maintenance fees. This option available on website or by calling.
I didn’t know this, where on the website?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

That is only for bonus points.

Deposit into RCI to get another year is an option for Saved points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Under the rules, guest certificates for club-bookings are for family and
personal acquaintances only. You can book a stay and "give" it to them.
If they compensate you for it, who's to know, unless they advertise it?
Just don't go turning into a commercial enterprise.

However, depositing into the RCI program is prolly your best option.
It gives you 1 more year of use, and you can "extend" for a 2nd year.
... for the applicable fees, of course.

Last edited:

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was one half of the party involved in this. I think it took a few tries to get the correct rep on the phone to allow this, so I don’t know how common this is around the club. That being said I usually have 200 or so extra points a year that, if this was easy to do, I wouldn’t mind giving it away to a TUGer in need for nothing annually, so long as they would pay it forward when they could one day.