• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Select or Access? Is buying resale market Select a good idea?

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
First, I am fairly new to TUG and am a novice at this timeshare thing.

Second, I have an opportunity to purchase resale (deeded) 186000 Wyndham Select points for $5000, along with $1374 for closing, and also pay the 2019 maint fees around $1100.

This adds up to around $7500. It is also at a resort we want as our home resort. We love it there and don't mind vacationing there every year. We will vacation at other places, but don't mind vacationing at this place each year. It is a good resort with good history.

My questions are:

Is this a good deal?
How much should I ask to pay for the points...lower than $5000?
Is Select ok? Always buy Access?
What kind of offer should I make?

Anything info you have would help a lot! Thanks.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
400,000 Club Wyndham ACCESS points just sold for $405 on eBay.

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
Did you look at the TUG Marketplace?

Did you look at eBay?
Thanks for your reply and so fast. I have not looked there. What is your knowledge of the difference between Select and Access point? Should I buy only Access points in the marketplace, Ebay, etc.?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
CWA is a club ... CWP is deeded ownership (float or fixed with points). Advanced Reservation window is basis on deeded resort (fixed weeks converted to points is still only the underlying deeded time) for CWP.

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
400,000 Club Wyndham ACCESS points just sold for $405 on eBay.
Holy crap! Is that normal or rare? I am looking to purchase around 186000 Wyndham ACCESS points. Where to look for low maintenance fees?

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
CWA is a club ... CWP is deeded ownership (float or fixed with points). Advanced Reservation window is basis on deeded resort (fixed weeks converted to points is still only the underlying deeded time) for CWP.
Let me see if I understand this ACCESS points thing better. Basically, it is best for me (and everyone else) to buy ACCESS for the lowest maint fees at a good resort, for the amount I want? Simple as that?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I am fairly new to TUG and am a novice at this timeshare thing.

Second, I have an opportunity to purchase resale (deeded) 186000 Wyndham Select points for $5000, along with $1374 for closing, and also pay the 2019 maint fees around $1100.

This adds up to around $7500. It is also at a resort we want as our home resort. We love it there and don't mind vacationing there every year. We will vacation at other places, but don't mind vacationing at this place each year. It is a good resort with good history.

My questions are:

Is this a good deal?
How much should I ask to pay for the points...lower than $5000?
Is Select ok? Always buy Access?
What kind of offer should I make?

Anything info you have would help a lot! Thanks.
You must be looking at resales on SMTN. They are the highest priced resales you’ll find.
What home resort are you looking at ??
186k contract should be bought for under $2,000 all in not counting MFs at the lowest MF resorts

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this ACCESS points thing better. Basically, it is best for me (and everyone else) to buy ACCESS for the lowest maint fees at a good resort, for the amount I want? Simple as that?
Access MFs are the same on all contracts and are around average not low by any means

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
Yes, I was looking at a website. They call me constantly and seem to no be my friend. I am looking at Flagstaff, AZ. However, this resort is already in ACCESS.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
CWA is for people who want to TRY for ARP yearly at different resorts but is LIMITED to the underlying deeds in the CWA trust.

CWP can either be ARP for a certain resort yearly OR for the underlying FIXED, DEEDED week.

I own fixed weeks at the VRI managed Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort .. which I can trade thru RCI or II. I KNOW which unit I am sleeping in, the view and get free parking with "in & out". Beach block to the ocean.

Shell Resorts (now owned by Wyndham) as a presence in AZ.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was looking at a website. They call me constantly and seem to no be my friend. I am looking at Flagstaff, AZ. However, this resort is already in ACCESS.
Flagstaff 168k contract should be bought for what they quoted you for closing fees.
Your not understanding the difference between CWA and select contracts.
CWA is a club that owns deeds at around 80 resorts. You own points in the club. MFs are the average of all deeds in the club
Select you own a contract at one resort, Flagstaff in your instance. MFs are based only on the Flagstaff resort

CWA owns deeds at Flagstaff but also at 75+ other resorts
You can own a select contract at Flagstaff
Flagstaff also has weeks ownership that have been converted to points
Flagstaff also has straight weeks with no association to any points. These contracts are worth 0 and the seller would usually have to pay someone to take it

You can buy any of those types of ownership at Flagstaff

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
Flagstaff 168k contract should be bought for what they quoted you for closing fees.
Your not understanding the difference between CWA and select contracts.
CWA is a club that owns deeds at around 80 resorts. You own points in the club. MFs are the average of all deeds in the club
Select you own a contract at one resort, Flagstaff in your instance. MFs are based only on the Flagstaff resort

CWA owns deeds at Flagstaff but also at 75+ other resorts
You can own a select contract at Flagstaff
Flagstaff also has weeks ownership that have been converted to points
Flagstaff also has straight weeks with no association to any points. These contracts are worth 0 and the seller would usually have to pay someone to take it

You can buy any of those types of ownership at Flagstaff
So, if I was to purchase the Flagstaff select 186000 points, I should offer...say...$1400 total! I am seeing on Ebay right now...is this how you came up with the cost for the Flagstaff offer...because deals are out there like this:
  • 189,000 Annual Points!
  • Free Closing and Transfer!!
First Week Available:2019
Usage Interval:Annual
Usage Type:points
Usage Period:1/1 - 12/31
# of Points:189,000
Unit:Floating
Maintenance Fees Assessed:Monthly
Maintenance Fees Due Date:26th of each month
Maintenance Fee Amount:$103

Seller Pays:
  • Closing Costs:$ 650
  • Transfer Fee:$ 299
Total Savings: $949

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if I was to purchase the Flagstaff select 186000 points, I should offer...say...$1400 total! I am seeing on Ebay right now...is this how you came up with the cost for the Flagstaff offer...because deals are out there like this:
  • 189,000 Annual Points!
  • Free Closing and Transfer!!
First Week Available:2019
Usage Interval:Annual
Usage Type:points
Usage Period:1/1 - 12/31
# of Points:189,000
Unit:Floating
Maintenance Fees Assessed:Monthly
Maintenance Fees Due Date:26th of each month
Maintenance Fee Amount:$103

Seller Pays:
  • Closing Costs:$ 650
  • Transfer Fee:$ 299
Total Savings: $949
I don’t see a Flagstaff contract on eBay
The listing you in your post has MFs of over $6 per 1k points. You need to verify that by getting a copy of Wyndhams estoppel letter on the contract.
You should be able to buy the contract in your post for under $500 all in if the MFs are correct as I consider $6 per 1k points high

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
I don’t see a Flagstaff contract on eBay
The listing you in your post has MFs of over $6 per 1k points. You need to verify that by getting a copy of Wyndhams estoppel letter on the contract.
You should be able to buy the contract in your post for under $500 all in if the MFs are correct as I consider $6 per 1k points high
That's correct. The post on the internet for 189000 points is not for Flagstaff.
Are you talking about the Flagstaff Select post...or the 189000 internet post I found?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's correct. The post on the internet for 189000 points is not for Flagstaff.
Are you talking about the Flagstaff Select post...or the 189000 internet post I found?
I’m talking about post #13 where you posted the eBay ad info with all closing cost paid by seller.
That contract isn’t worth the closing cost to me. That’s why I said under $500

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
Thank you again for your assistance...you have been a huge help. The first response above stated that 400000 ACCESS points were sold for $405. Keeping that in mind, if I were to get the best deal...and if I had to choose from these two contracts: (Just so I understand you) I would offer:

Proposal 1: Flagstaff 186000 Select points for $1400 all in with around $1100 MFs OR
Proposal 2: Ebay 189000 points for $500 or less all in which has $1200 MFs.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you again for your assistance...you have been a huge help. The first response above stated that 400000 ACCESS points were sold for $405. Keeping that in mind, if I were to get the best deal...and if I had to choose from these two contracts: (Just so I understand you) I would offer:

Proposal 1: Flagstaff 186000 Select points for $1400 all in with around $1100 MFs OR
Proposal 2: Ebay 189000 points for $500 or less all in which has $1200 MFs.
The 400k CWA on eBay had closing cost of $749 on top of $405 auction winning bid so $1,154 all in

I hadn’t noticed the $1,100 MFs on the Flagstaff on Proposal 1. Flagstaff converted weeks can have low MFs. But option 1 if correct the MFs are just under $6 per 1k points so I wouldn’t pay anymore than the $500 in option 2.

If you really want to own at Flagstaff I would recommend being patient and find a converted week with MFs under $5 per 1k points.
If your happy with $6 per 1k points I would recommend buying a CWA contract giving you ARP if you ever need it at around 80 resorts

If your not worried about ARP look for a contract with MFs under $4.75 per 1k points and be willing to pay $6 to $8 per 1k points all in

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
The 400k CWA on eBay had closing cost of $749 on top of $405 auction winning bid so $1,154 all in

I hadn’t noticed the $1,100 MFs on the Flagstaff on Proposal 1. Flagstaff converted weeks can have low MFs. But option 1 if correct the MFs are just under $6 per 1k points so I wouldn’t pay anymore than the $500 in option 2.

If you really want to own at Flagstaff I would recommend being patient and find a converted week with MFs under $5 per 1k points.
If your happy with $6 per 1k points I would recommend buying a CWA contract giving you ARP if you ever need it at around 80 resorts

If your not worried about ARP look for a contract with MFs under $4.75 per 1k points and be willing to pay $6 to $8 per 1k points all in
What is the calculation in order to find MF's per 1k?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The problem with a converted week is the ARP is only that underlying week. Unless you want to stay that week every year or if the MFs are particularly low, it doesn’t really matter if you own in Flagstaff at that point. There was a low-MF Flagstaff converted week discussed here on TUG about a month ago that ultimately sold on eBay for $825 all in. That was a good deal because the MFs were low, not specifically because of the location. Other weeks converted from non-prime seasons would have a higher MF per 1,000 points and not worth paying a lot for.

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
The problem with a converted week is the ARP is only that underlying week. Unless you want to stay that week every year or if the MFs are particularly low, it doesn’t really matter if you own in Flagstaff at that point. There was a low-MF Flagstaff converted week discussed here on TUG about a month ago that ultimately sold on eBay for $825 all in. That was a good deal because the MFs were low, not specifically because of the location. Other weeks converted from non-prime seasons would have a higher MF per 1,000 points and not worth paying a lot for.
How much do you think an all in Flagstaff 186000 ACCESS points with $1200 MFs cost? Same as Braindead stated? The cost of closing costs $1374 (or did I read it right?)

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
If the MFs are really $1,200, that puts the rate at $6.45 per 1,000 points. I wouldn't even pay $0 plus those closing costs. If I were going to settle for MFs that high, I'd at least buy Access for the ARP. In contrast, the Flagstaff converted week I mentioned above was 182,000 points with annual MFs of $767.32, or $4.22 per 1,000 points. That sold on eBay for $825 total, with closing costs and transfer paid by the seller.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much do you think an all in Flagstaff 186000 ACCESS points with $1200 MFs cost? Same as Braindead stated? The cost of closing costs $1374 (or did I read it right?)
$1,200 MFs divided by 186 = $6.45 MFs per 1k points which is high

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is NO CWA 'Flagstaff" deed .... you own a certificate of ownership in CWA, NOT A DEED for Flagstaff property.

A deed in timesharing is a recorded paper in the county & state for the resort's location .. it is a real estate ... legal and recorded til the end of the of time. Anything else is a contract for YOUR usage and rights for the terms of the contract.

NOT a Lawyer ... not giving legal advice. Just a person posting on the internet .. take free advice for what it is.

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
If the MFs are really $1,200, that puts the rate at $6.45 per 1,000 points. I wouldn't even pay $0 plus those closing costs. If I were going to settle for MFs that high, I'd at least buy Access for the ARP. In contrast, the Flagstaff converted week I mentioned above was 182,000 points with annual MFs of $767.32, or $4.22 per 1,000 points. That sold on eBay for $825 total, with closing costs and transfer paid by the seller.
Totally understand now. I think I was too hung up on getting Flagstaff, that I neglected the ACCESS option. I am being targeted by an internet "real estate" guy that wants me to pay over $5000. Thank you so much for this info. I think I should offer to take it off his hands instead for no cost. Actually, I think I should look for ACCESS points around 200000. What do you think?