• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seen Cockroaches at Resort?

Mydogs2big

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a resort which we very much love, however recently it came to our attention that this resort had cockroaches!

Whats more, is they know about them because we found a laminated flier in our room with pictures of several bugs that could be found in and around Palm Springs, including the cockroach.

I don't know if this is something that should keep me from going here in the future or what. I can hardly imagine anyone wanting to go somewhere with this problem. I was scared I might be bringing eggs home with me and had to plastic up all my luggage outside to take to the laundromat and cleaners.

Is this not such a big deal? Am I overreacting? Can the resort fix the problem?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pretty much anywhere that hot is going to have cockroaches. I believe that most resorts spray for them. Common sense would dictate that food should be properly stored, in containers or in the fridge and not left on counters overnight, etc. Garbage should be taken out every day.

Coming from climate like Portland (I live near the BC coast) I can emphathize with you, but it wouldn't keep me from going somewhere warm.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a cockroach in any time share we have stayed at, but since you mentioned Palm Springs......we had a cockroach join us for lunch one day at the Macaroni Grill in PS! :eek: :D

Needless to say, that's a place we haven't returned to on other visits to the desert.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone recently told me that the Macaroni Grill in Rancho is gone, maybe it is gone as a chain. Sounds like they weren't keeping up with the requirements, anyway.
Liz

dukebigtom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess you have to take into account where you are at. While I don't like to think about it (and my wife really hates thinking about it), the area you are talking about has all kinds of critters that are part of the nature of the area. There are scorpions, tarantulas and of course cockroaches. Most resorts and restaurants do spray for them, but again, remember, they are natural residents of the area you're visiting. We are the visitors.

In Scottsdale a few years ago we were at the Sheraton Desert Oasis, a great and impeccibly maintained resort. On our last day, we found a scorpion in our bathroom. :annoyed: Glad it was the last day and not the first! We notified the front desk and they said that they did spray for this, but occaisionally, they do find them on the property and that they are natural to the area.

We're heading to Sedona next year and hope not to see any of the critters, but realize that they exist along with snakes, wildcats, etc.

Funny, I visited Louisiana for business and toured some swampland. We were within 10-15 feet of aligators and frankly I was scared, they guy I was with had grown up in Louisiana and acted like it was nothing. He said it was the mosquitos that bothered him most. I guess it is all relative. :eek:

Hate to say it, but if we are going to visit areas we are not used to being in, then along with the fun comes the possibility of some critters we don't want to see. Sure hope I don't meet any sharks in the water in the Caribbean, but I know they are there.

Keep travelin and smilin.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!! :wave:

BigTom

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
dukebigtom: Was in Sedona a month ago and all we saw were two boars crossing the highway as we were leaving to go home -- honest, they were just slowly going from one side to the other right in front of us!!!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Yes for the first time in Marriott Monarch in Hilton Head this fall. They were on the clean kitchen counters every morning. I saw one at 4 am scatter but DH found quite a few more that he did not tell me about until after we were home.

The staff was unconcerned as Palmetto bugs are common to the island. It is not something I want to see in the morning.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Palmetto Bug = Cockroach ?

Are palmetto bugs & cockroaches 2 different though similar kinds of bugs ?

Or are they 1 & the same species -- 2 names for the same thing ?

That is, is "palmetto bug" just a name the P.R. professionals came up with that sounds (slightly) less disgusting than "cockroach" ?

Fortunately, we've hardly ever seen bugs at the Florida timeshares where we've stayed. (Except 1 time when some little tiny ants were crawling around on a table 1 -- just that 1 time.)

I assume the resorts' operating budgets include ample funds for ongoing monthly extermination & pest control services. Well worth it, in my view.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had them in Lawai Beach Resort (Kauai).
The front desk responded with roach motels, so obviously this is a situation they're aware of.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The most common form of transference of cockroaches is by the eggs they lay or the stowaways we carry home. They can come from anywhere, even your grocery store.
We are staying in a resort this week, and my wife killed a roach that was in her sweatshirt she had dropped by the door. Worried about eggs, she washed it.
We're not in the desert, we're at the beach this week. (CA.)

Also, I'd be curious to know how people deal with ant infestations. I might post this as a separate thread... I will.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was bitten by a scorpion on the floor in our bedroom in a timehare (at that time a GC) in Hawaii.

Mydogs2big

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I feel just a little better.

I guess being from a cooler climate,
I'm actually afraid of cockroaches!

I would not have been afraid of:
spiders, snakes, rats, mice, raccoons, squirrels, opossums, coyotes or bears.

I would also be afraid of bed bugs!!
Thank goodness there were none of these.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have seen cockroaches around the riverwalk in San Antonio, they were big enough to carry away a small child. OK, so I am only slightly exaggerating. They come out at night and will just be walking down the middle of the street.

You have to expect them in the south, as they can survive outside, and do so very well. So they walk from place to place. No need to worry about clinging to clothes for a ride. They can get there by themselves.

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a Hot Summer night!

You can see the critters walking the streets of NYC!