• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seeking information on RCI Points

KAS33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Estate at Nueva Vallarta
We had a two bedroom lockout (two units with 2 bedrooms) at Woodstone at Masanutten in Virginia. A few years ago we switched from weeks to points, at some cost. It generated 130,000 points each year and maintenance fee was about $800. We traded our Woodstone unit as part of the down payment on another timeshare in Mexico. Now I am wondering whether we should have held on to it if only for the RCI points. Is there any way to tell how many RCI points a timeshare is worth? At the risk of sounding naive, I am wondering whether buying a unit primarily for those points is worthwhile. I have to say that 130,000 points has bought us a lot of stays elsewhere, and the points come, I believe, even when we used our unit.

I have seen Wyndham points for sale but am unsure whether they trade like any other RCI points.

Thanks to anyone who can shed a bit of light for me.

Ken

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We had a two bedroom lockout (two units with 2 bedrooms) at Woodstone at Masanutten in Virginia. A few years ago we switched from weeks to points, at some cost. It generated 130,000 points each year and maintenance fee was about $800. We traded our Woodstone unit as part of the down payment on another timeshare in Mexico. Now I am wondering whether we should have held on to it if only for the RCI points. Is there any way to tell how many RCI points a timeshare is worth? At the risk of sounding naive, I am wondering whether buying a unit primarily for those points is worthwhile. I have to say that 130,000 points has bought us a lot of stays elsewhere, and the points come, I believe, even when we used our unit.

I have seen Wyndham points for sale but am unsure whether they trade like any other RCI points.

Ken
You should have absolutely held onto that woodstone especially if it was a redweek. I believe it would have been 137,000 RCI points. That’s a great ownership. I’m sorry the mexico property had you “trade” that in. If you can pick one of those up again it’s worth it. Although it will be tough, I haven’t seen many massanutten point ownerships on the resale market. If you want points, look for a regal vista, grandview Las Vegas, or woodstone unit. If you want to deal with RCI trades via TPU, look for a colonies unit.

KAS33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Estate at Nueva Vallarta
Thanks. We got a credit north of $20,000, but I am not sure it was worth it as you suggest. What is TPU?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ken

The "trade-in" in Mexico is a scam. They offer it to make you think you're paying less for your Mexican timeshare, but you would have gotten the same price without the trade in. You'll be asked to pay fees to a third party to transfer away your Woodstone. From everything I've heard, just don't do it. I've read that they try to get you to pay to keep it, I'd ignore any such contacts and just see what happens.

Wyndham points don't trade just like RCI points. For beginners, resale Wyndham only gets you the RCI Weeks side, you won't be able to see RCI Points. The points chart is a bit different, 105K for a 1 bedroom in the US, for example, and I see a lot fewer last minute deals via Wyndham points than I see postings here and facebook of reduced TPU or RCI Points deals.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We got a credit north of $20,000, but I am not sure it was worth it as you suggest. What is TPU?
TPU is the original standard, Trading Power Units, that standard weeks deposits are granted and what you "pay" for the interval you exchange into (plus a "nominal" exchange fee, of course!.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
TPU is a term we use as Trading Power Units. It's a gauge of the relative tradability of a Week in RCI. Your header asks for information. Sorry, all I have is opinion. I think trading in a paid-off Points ownership for a Mexican Right-to Use TS is not a good use of your money. I also have a 2 BR TS in Points that as I divest, will probably be the last one I hold on to as I REALLY like the ability to use the RCI Points as 'currency' to exchange darn near anywhere.

KAS33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Estate at Nueva Vallarta
TPU is a term we use as Trading Power Units. It's a gauge of the relative tradability of a Week in RCI. Your header asks for information. Sorry, all I have is opinion. I think trading in a paid-off Points ownership for a Mexican Right-to Use TS is not a good use of your money. I also have a 2 BR TS in Points that as I divest, will probably be the last one I hold on to as I REALLY like the ability to use the RCI Points as 'currency' to exchange darn near anywhere.
Thanks. That is helpful. If there is any silver lining we may actually be able to rent the Mexican unit for about 3 times the fee to reserve it. If that works, there may be some tradeoff. Thanks again. Ken

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Ken
When did you do this trade in? Is it too late to rescind and get your points ownership back?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That is helpful. If there is any silver lining we may actually be able to rent the Mexican unit for about 3 times the fee to reserve it. If that works, there may be some tradeoff. Thanks again. Ken
And, what exactly makes you think you can rent your Mexican week(s) for 3X the fees? If the developer could reliably rent weeks for those numbers, why would they sell them to foreigners?

If this is what a salesperson told you, I'd put that into the 'round file' until you see actual money from potential renters.

My experience with renting Mexican TSs is that I have ALWAYS rented for less than the underlying fees. I pray your experience is different.

Jim