• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona Summit questions

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I have an I.I. exchange reservation at the Sedona Summit and the res. says that it is unit code UUU2. Does that specify the section? Or what does it mean?

Because this is an exchange, do I have to pay a daily resort fee?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think it just means its a DRI deposit.

There should be a section on the document that lists resort fees.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it just means its a DRI deposit.

There should be a section on the document that lists resort fees.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, Dave. When I was completing the exchange, I didn't recall seeing an "advisory" regarding fees, and when I got the i.i. confirmation pdf, it had the standard "boiler-plate" that is on every confirmation, including my Marriott exchanges.
"You are responsible for imposed utility/energy surcharges, occupancy or similar taxes, service charges, telephone connection fees, long distance phone charges, personal charges, and applicable amenities usage, housekeeping or resort fees."

But, I checked a Marriott confirmation and that section was identical. But every Marriott TS that I've ever stayed at did not charge me a resort fee. When I called the Summit, I talked to a young woman who was not positive about the resort fee.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@BJRSanDiego - If you look through this thread, it looks like you’ll get a “Welcome” email from the resort, telling you about the mandatory resort fees.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you look through this thread, it looks like you’ll get a “Welcome” email from the resort, telling you about the mandatory resort fees.

Thanks @PamMo , looks like I'm stuck with the fee. A few minutes ago I got onto a Diamond site and found the same in tucked in some corner of their website. I also saw that there was another disturbing advisory:
"Limited Cell/Mobile Phone and Wi-Fi Access
The resort Wi-Fi is severely limited resulting in connectivity issues throughout the resort. While we are working to improve this service it is a long term project and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. We provide internet access at the business center computers in the lobby."

I find it surprising that an otherwise high quality resort has "connectivity issues throughout the resort."

I'm a bit disappointed that Interval does not list the specific cost during the 18 minute exchange "hold" period. Our check-in is in 2021, so I suspect that the Diamond email may come later. I stayed at the Summit in the fall of 2018 and I don't recall having to pay a resort fee. (I do recall the poor cell service and the poor Wi-fi). I had previously stayed at the Ridge on Sedona Golf (2012) and don't recall them having a fee either.

But, I guess that I shouldn't "sweat the small stuff".

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Here's a thread where I asked a similar question from 2017:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/checking-into-sedona-summit-on-sunday.250636/
There is a check in for owners and a sales check in for the fresh meat, i.e. exchangers. I arrived around 7 after a long drive and went to the main check in as advised in that thread. The guy kept wanting me to go to the other building, but I persisted in saying I was tired and I just wanted my keys. He finally gave in and I was able to check in. I think it helped that it was late and, I think, the sales area was shutting down. I received numerous calls from the sales/check in folks the following day or two, which I ignored. The resort fees were mentioned in the advance email, but I was never asked to pay them at the resort. I suspect that was because of where I checked in.

Sue

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Non DRI owners and exchangers must pay DRI resort fees.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks @PamMo , looks like I'm stuck with the fee. A few minutes ago I got onto a Diamond site and found the same in tucked in some corner of their website. I also saw that there was another disturbing advisory:
The resort Wi-Fi is severely limited resulting in connectivity issues throughout the resort. While we are working to improve this service it is a long term project and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. We provide internet access at the business center computers in the lobby."

I find it surprising that an otherwise high quality resort has "connectivity issues throughout the resort."

I'm a bit disappointed that Interval does not list the specific cost during the 18 minute exchange "hold" period. Our check-in is in 2021, so I suspect that the Diamond email may come later. I stayed at the Summit in the fall of 2018 and I don't recall having to pay a resort fee. (I do recall the poor cell service and the poor Wi-fi). I had previously stayed at the Ridge on Sedona Golf (2012) and don't recall them having a fee either.

The fees just started in 2019, DRI is not the only one, many systems are jumping on that bandwagon.

I agree the internet should have been corrected quickly. In these times internet is a necessary utility up there with gas, electricity, and water. They have been collecting fees for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have an exchange through VI and all it says is the resort wants a $100 security deposit when I check in. No taxes or anything else mentioned on our reservation.

Bill

YOU NEED TO KNOW
Minimum age requirement for check-in is 21 years of age. A photo identification, credit card for $100 security deposit will be required at check in.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an exchange through VI and all it says is the resort wants a $100 security deposit when I check in. No taxes or anything else mentioned on our reservation.

Bill

YOU NEED TO KNOW
Minimum age requirement for check-in is 21 years of age. A photo identification, credit card for $100 security deposit will be required at check in.
Please take your confirmation letter with you, if they try to charge you for resort fees.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Please take your confirmation letter with you, if they try to charge you for resort fees.

Yes I will because it is on my phone.

Bill

babysteps

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale; Diamond Resorts
VI owners who reserve through VI for Sedona Summit don't pay resort fees, this is explicit in the VI confirmation letter. Might be linked to a prior more active relationship between VI and DRI (before my time, one of the DRI sales team knew about it).

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Can anyone report on a VI exchange experience here? I gather exchanger get the poorest rooms.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can anyone report on a VI exchange experience here? I gather exchanger get the poorest rooms.
When we stayed there 2 years ago, it was an exchange through Interval. I had called in advance and was told that for most ii exchanges that we would be put in the oldest section (close to the lobby). That section is the more basic of the 3 building phases. I understand that some of the other sections have upgraded kitchens, counters, flooring and furniture and perhaps nicer layouts. Also, the oldest section generally doesn't have much of a view. But our room was clean and convenient to parking and most resort activities.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Sedona Summit is a nice resort. There are no bad units. You may not get a view of the red rock is the worse you can do. They have Mesa and Sunset rooms. To be honest, there’s not a big difference between the two types in my opinion. Enjoy the resort and it’s facilities. This is one of DR nicer places.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

What cell carrier to you have? I am thinking of a visiting in the next year or two.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have Verizon. When we were last there (2 years ago), I could get the cell phone, albeit with a weak signal, in one room of the unit. I don't recall if I had to go to the lobby to get on the internet. But, not having very good cell phone coverage and wifi isn't the end of the world. Also, I can pick up emails on my cell phone when we're out of the resort.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We are at Sedona Ridge on RCI exchange right now. Our studio is good size, but location is far from impressive. We were charged $15.35 daily resort fee. Conectibility is a challenge, Wi-fi sub-stand, ATT phone gets one bar. Two days in the row no hot water. When I brought it up with CS Manager she just brushed it off. We are experiencing their record low temps, but the weather is excellent for hiking. It feels like season is in full swing, not vacant spots on trail head parking lots. I want to return here in April to see it in bloom.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did visit about 10 yrs ago, smartphones were not huge back then, I just remembered we had an awesome time. Point is, not having reliable data may actually be a good thing while on Sedona. So much natural beauty to enjoy, so focus on that

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I forgot to mention that I deflected very aggressive sales pitch. You are greeted by Sales force as you walk in, directed to register, and immediately swamped by young and eager gentlemen, who want to give you an opportunity to explore all great options you have. They are obviously pushing exploratory package. Resist!
First offer was $100 card, second offer $150 and manager beat them all with special offer of $250 cash card. I was very calm. I practiced skill learned on TUG forum, thanked him and walked away.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I forgot to mention that I deflected very aggressive sales pitch. You are greeted by Sales force as you walk in, directed to register, and immediately swamped by young and eager gentlemen, who want to give you an opportunity to explore all great options you have. They are obviously pushing exploratory package. Resist!
First offer was $100 card, second offer $150 and manager beat them all with special offer of $250 cash card. I was very calm. I practiced skill learned on TUG forum, thanked him and walked away.
Thanks for the info, @Krteczech. We're going to be there in February.

The lack of hot water is a concern. my wife and I shower daily. Two days w/o hot water (your previous post) would be like primitive dry camping. It would probably take me hours to raise hell with the management, to post on Facebook and to write a scathing (funny metaphore for cold water....) tripadvisor review. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen to us.

A few years ago I had to replace my waterheater in my house. I'm a handyman, so I did it myself. I replaced within 24 hours of when it started leaking. So - - 2 days without water - - and counting - - says that someone didn't jump on the problem right away. But... it is Sedona... and 2 hours away from their major supply city. If I were you, I would ask to be moved. I would also schedule a meeting with the GM to allow him/her to do something to make you a happy camper. When we were at Hyatt Pinon Point, we had 2 or 3 days of AC problems. The moved us after they figured out the the solution wasn't imminent. The GM called me before we left to come to her office and offered me a replacement week (2 BR) to be used in 18 months. We ended up getting one of the best view units in the entire resort. This was such a pleasant surprised because we were rolling with the punches and hadn't let it negatively affect our vacation. Maybe the Summit management may do something to make the situation a bit better.

We have had various problems over the years when timesharing, such as water coming out of the ceiling from the unit above, but in those 3 or 4 cases, the management (Marriott) would do something like deliver a gift basket, a nice bottle of wine or something. I'm hoping that the Diamond people do something for you.

The $15.35 daily charge for the amenities (ah... like activities? (probably cancelled), wifi? (mediocre at best..), social events? (probably paused)) - - that is unreasonable. So, other than parking, what amenities are left? But that fee, if it is the same for Interval exchangers is not as bad as I thought that it would be. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, are the hot tubs open? Is there a midweek cleanup?

DRIless

Reaction score
VI owners who reserve through VI for Sedona Summit don't pay resort fees, this is explicit in the VI confirmation letter. Might be linked to a prior more active relationship between VI and DRI (before my time, one of the DRI sales team knew about it).
Pretty much right on. Quick and dirty, Vacation Internationale became Sunterra Pacific, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sunterra Corp. sometime around 2000 but got out from under that and again became Vacation Internationale. They still have a unique exchange relationship with now DRI (formerly Sunterra) and you can see that in VI's Instant Exchange inventory and DRI lists VI resorts as Affiliated Resorts and has some relatively meager inventory.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Thanks for the info, @Krteczech. We're going to be there in February.

The lack of hot water is a concern. my wife and I shower daily. Two days w/o hot water (your previous post) would be like primitive dry camping. It would probably take me hours to raise hell with the management, to post on Facebook and to write a scathing (funny metaphore for cold water....) tripadvisor review. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen to us.

A few years ago I had to replace my waterheater in my house. I'm a handyman, so I did it myself. I replaced within 24 hours of when it started leaking. So - - 2 days without water - - and counting - - says that someone didn't jump on the problem right away. But... it is Sedona... and 2 hours away from their major supply city. If I were you, I would ask to be moved. I would also schedule a meeting with the GM to allow him/her to do something to make you a happy camper. When we were at Hyatt Pinon Point, we had 2 or 3 days of AC problems. The moved us after they figured out the the solution wasn't imminent. The GM called me before we left to come to her office and offered me a replacement week (2 BR) to be used in 18 months. We ended up getting one of the best view units in the entire resort. This was such a pleasant surprised because we were rolling with the punches and hadn't let it negatively affect our vacation. Maybe the Summit management may do something to make the situation a bit better.

We have had various problems over the years when timesharing, such as water coming out of the ceiling from the unit above, but in those 3 or 4 cases, the management (Marriott) would do something like deliver a gift basket, a nice bottle of wine or something. I'm hoping that the Diamond people do something for you.

The $15.35 daily charge for the amenities (ah... like activities? (probably cancelled), wifi? (mediocre at best..), social events? (probably paused)) - - that is unreasonable. So, other than parking, what amenities are left? But that fee, if it is the same for Interval exchangers is not as bad as I thought that it would be. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, are the hot tubs open? Is there a midweek cleanup?
hot tubs are open. We were just there. No mid week service due to COVID. Don't go to a presentation. Everyone's mask was off their nose and at times on their chin

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

The internet and cell service is abysmal there. We had never experienced such poor service but despite that we had a fabulous week. We could sometimes get service if we leaned over the balcony lol. My son stayed a few weeks before us in building 1 and had luck using horizon. Our building didn't even have good cell service. We were there election week so it was not such a bad thing.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, the issue of paying $16 a night fees for activities (cancelled because of Covid), wifi (very poor), cell service (very poor), etc. has kind of disappeared.

This morning I was checking Sedona availability or ii and noticed a mini-dump. I was able to retrade into the Hyatt Pinon Point on exactly the same dates as before. (I originally had ePlus, but due to Covid issues had used them up. So, for $209 I retraded. Subtracting off the $112 DRI resort fee, so my net out-of-pocket is under $90. And I get better cell service and good wifi. I'm sure that I would have been happy at the Summit. But I'm pleased with the change also.