• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Searching Exchanges in II

Buelah111

Reaction score
So, I'm a new resale owner at Pinon Pointe. I've appreciated all the information I've been able to glean from Tug over the last few months as we searched for and eventually purchased our unit. Now I'm in the exploration stage both within Hyatt Exchanges and II. I'm not looking to book anything specific in II right now, but just interested in seeing examples of availability for future planning purposes (I completely realize these are just examples, things change all the time). I am struggling to have a search pull up anything for Hawaii (I've tried several islands with wide date ranges). Is there a trick for searching Hawaii, or is there truly nothing available for the next 18 months? I have a Diamond Hyatt unit so it doesn't seem like points should be a limiting factor. Any advice and/or confirmation I'm searching correctly would be welcome. Thanks!

itap39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt WOR
When searching II, we’ve found we’re only interested in Elite level resorts. Here are several elite codes you can paste into the resort name;
MHB,MHZ,MGA,MAO,MSU,MBY,MBP,MCV,MEM,MCU,MCP,MDS,MPD,MFV,MFC,MGC,MC1,MGO,MGV,MGR,MHH,HPS,MHG,MIP,MKW,MKO,MK1,MLE,MMC,MMB,MMO,MMS,MVL,MOU,NCV,MPB,MOW,MPU,MP1,MUZ,MRP,MSP,MRD,MSK,MDO,MVB,MEV,MSW,MSN,MSF,MML,MVF,MVD,MAW,MVO

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Right now, there is nothing available in Hawaii in II on any dates.

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now, there is nothing available in Hawaii in II on any dates.

Geez....I'm about to pull the trigger on a resale purchase (probably this week). A big part of my "valuation" to this timeshare purchase is the ability to find within Hyatt and less so II. I figured good luck finding something four to six months out, but if I cant find something 18 months out, then whats the point. In this case is not about "planning in advanced and being flexible" ...it is about availability or lack thereof. I like the resort I'm looking at but I'm not buying to go every year. That's is not my "vacation style".

Maybe the senior members need to start and populate a thread/database that shows exchanges internally and externally?. A trade database that shows:
  • Owned week and where
  • When (if) was it deposited
  • Requested resort(s), week and when was it requested or when started looking:
  • When was it confirmed...if ever.
  • When trade was abandoned if could not find what was looking for.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
A couple of Hawaii weeks appeared today in II. Usually something is sitting in the open inventory, but not much. You need to set up an ongoing search to catch the developer bulk deposits. The vast majority of inventory in II comes from developer deposits, not from owners.

Hyatt points have top trading power in II seeing absolutely everything other than Marriott and Vistana units in the preference period.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The Sightings Board is your best bet.

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of Hawaii weeks appeared today in II. Usually something is sitting in the open inventory, but not much. You need to set up an ongoing search to catch the developer bulk deposits. The vast majority of inventory in II comes from developer deposits, not from owners.

Hyatt points have top trading power in II seeing absolutely everything other than Marriott and Vistana units in the preference period.

Not sure I like what you said above.... in bold. So all the statements about how Hyatt trades really well in II does not apply to Marriott & Vistana properties?

Excluding these would mean a lot of the top notch properties are not available .... I would be exchanging a high end resort for say a ???? Not equal

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
When Marriott makes a bulk deposit into II, the units can be booked in II by Marriott owners only, for a preference period of a few days. After the preference period is over, the remaining units, which were not booked by Marriott owners, are released to everyone on II (subject to trading power). A similar preference period also exists for Vistana.

So if you want a good shot at a Marriott in II, you have to own a Marriott. Same for Vistana.

Once the week is out of preference, you will see it with Hyatt points, which have top trading power and see absolutely everything.

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Marriott makes a bulk deposit into II, the units can be booked in II by Marriott owners only, for a preference period of a few days. After the preference period is over, the remaining units, which were not booked by Marriott owners, are released to everyone on II (subject to trading power). A similar preference period also exists for Vistana.

So if you want a good shot at a Marriott in II, you have to own a Marriott. Same for Vistana.

Once the week is out of preference, you will see it with Hyatt points, which have top trading power and see absolutely everything.

Got it ... Thank You!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Most ppl own in Hawaii if it’s a frequent destination or you need to go in high season due to school schedule. Many of us own in 2 different Systems because of this.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Also FYI you can't search II more than a year out with Hyatt points. Its a disadvantage for Hawaii units in II because owners of non-Hyatt timeshares can search and set up exchange requests at the 18 month mark.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I can search II two years out with my Hyatt account.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I can search II two years out with my Hyatt account.

Yes you are right. I remembered noticing a change in recent times and I went to II to do a test search after I posted my reply, then got distracted at work. You are correct- 2 years out now. It previously was 1 year out.

I don't trade my Hyatt in II like I used to. I've instead bought more of what I want to use and tend to use my Hyatt points in Hyatt Residence Club nowadays. So I'm not up on II like I once was.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Buelah111
@Islnd

Hawaii resorts are in tremendous demand.
Interval receives weeks for Hawaii almost
every day, but any top resorts that make it
to online inventory are taken within minutes,
and all other resorts rarely last until the afternoon.

You will need to set up an ongoing search. You will
need to search online as often as possible. After a few
weeks, you'll become more comfortable with the
patterns for Hawaii.

TBipp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House and Windward Pointe, Key West, FL
The Banyan Resort, Key West, FL
We just returned from the Hyatt in Maui (our first visit and we exchanged one of our Key West Hyatt Beach House weeks as an internal Hyatt exchange). We decided to meet with the timeshare salesman as it had been awhile since we heard their song and dance. I learned something new about II if one can believe the salesman. I had always assumed points were points when trading in II as I read how disappointed most people are with trying to trade in II. However, he said that II makes money through the trade fees so II has the algorithms set up to give II the most possible profit in trading fees with exchanges. As an example, if I want Hawaii which is high demand, and I'm trading in my Key West March week (high demand market and time of year), I am likely to get the Hawaii unit as II has a list of ten people wanting my KW week which means another fee for them when they exchange my KW unit to someone on the list. The person that gets my KW week will be the person that exchanges a high demand week so that II makes money on that trade and so on. If I owned a low demand Branson week, I'm not likely to get my Hawaii trade because the Branson week may sit there with no exchange and thus, that ends their profit run. I realize this may be common knowledge for everyone; however, I wanted to share this as it may help with your planning.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We just returned from the Hyatt in Maui (our first visit and we exchanged one of our Key West Hyatt Beach House weeks as an internal Hyatt exchange). We decided to meet with the timeshare salesman as it had been awhile since we heard their song and dance. I learned something new about II if one can believe the salesman. I had always assumed points were points when trading in II as I read how disappointed most people are with trying to trade in II. However, he said that II makes money through the trade fees so II has the algorithms set up to give II the most possible profit in trading fees with exchanges. As an example, if I want Hawaii which is high demand, and I'm trading in my Key West March week (high demand market and time of year), I am likely to get the Hawaii unit as II has a list of ten people wanting my KW week which means another fee for them when they exchange my KW unit to someone on the list. The person that gets my KW week will be the person that exchanges a high demand week so that II makes money on that trade and so on. If I owned a low demand Branson week, I'm not likely to get my Hawaii trade because the Branson week may sit there with no exchange and thus, that ends their profit run. I realize this may be common knowledge for everyone; however, I wanted to share this as it may help with your planning.
I do that they are using an algorithm that benefits II