• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO Week 52 deposited with II - What to shoot for?

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good morning, Tugworld. I own at SDO 2BR LO GoldPlus week and was assigned week 52 for my 2020 II deposit! I bought SDO for trading after reading the forums here for months, so I am feeling pretty lucky about getting week 52 to trade. I haven't decided yet with to use it as two 1 BR units or as the full 2 BR LO.

I want to make the most of it since I have a great week, but do not know what is "reasonable" to expect. We would love to take the grandkids on a wonderful trip to a great beach resort. I was wondering if 2 BR Atlantis, Aruba Marriotts, Nanea or Westin Princevilles might be reasonable in a peak season?

Also, what do you experience traders think my odds are of scoring a 2 BD at an II Elite resort during peak or holiday season if I decide to go with two 1 BD deposits? Am I likely to score a 2BR unit and pay the upgrade fee? Or should I just deposit the 2BR and put an OGS for my dream resorts?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since SDO GoldPlus weeks have a blended trading power, week 52 designation does not mean any higher trading power in II.

Marriott has Marriott priority of about 24 days. There are some exceptions to the rule but if you are looking at peak season, a Vistana week will likely not "see" a peak season 2BR Marriott week as these weeks will get exchanged into by other Marriott owners.

Very few 2BR Vistana weeks get deposited into II anymore with the exception of Nanea where 2BR are non-lockoffs. You may have a chance in trading into a 2BR week in Nanea. I think the last time anyone saw a 2BR Atlantis was several years ago and they were seen by a large side 1BR/2BR SDO Platinum week. If you really need a 2BR, depositing a 2BR increases your chance to snag one of the hard to trade into weeks.

BTW, very few peak season Vistana weeks get deposited into II, if any.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble, but as mentioned you just get the combined trading power of the SDO season you own. I own a gold plus and mine always shows week 52. I think they just put it in as a default for 1-52 season. Also - if you have already deposited it, you can't change it later between a 2 bedroom and two 1 bedroom units.

I always deposit mine as 1 bedrooms and look for upgrades - but I'm on the obsessive side. If you need a 2 bedroom and want to make an ongoing search, depositing as a 2 bedroom might be the better choice.

From your list I think it is unlikely that you would get any of them except Nanea. Marriott owners have first preference on Marriott units, so the very peak 2 bedrooms don't tend to make it to other owners. Vistana controls deposits for all of their resorts, so they lock them off first to get two deposits for every unit. There haven't been two bedrooms reported in II of a unit with lock-offs for a long time. Nanea doesn't lock-off, so they do have 2 bedrooms there.

Your best chance for a two bedroom at those other resorts (harborside, princeville) would be to split up your SDO and trade separately for both halves. That does add trading fees. If you are the grandparents and are looking to take your child/grandchildren, I would consider trying for two 1 bedrooms. That way you get a bit more total space.

Other thoughts: Maybe consider Vidanta in Mexico? They have some great larger units (2/3 bedroom) that can often be had with an SDO 1 bedroom (I've done that a few times) by paying the upgrade. They have fairly expensive resort charges to add on, but the quality of the Grand Luxxe units is as good or better as the Marriott/Westin units, in my opinion (and I've stayed in all three brands).

Another place that has two bedrooms that looks pretty nice (and would have Vistana preference) is Vistana beach club. Not as "premiere" as the others you mentioned, but mainland US and a great beach. I haven't been there, but I have seen it on II with a 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom SDO multiple times.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You weren't actually assigned week 52. If you are looking at the units in my account Vistana just uses things like week 52, week 53 and even week 54 as placeholder. You are getting blended power and it is unlikely that Vistana is depositing a week 52 SDO in II let alone assigning you that trading power.

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thank you all for your explanations, clarifications, and advice. While I am a little sad not to have won the SDO lottery, I am happy to have more knowledge!

I think I will try for Nanea!