• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO/RCI Strategy Now That Disney Has Bumped Up Points

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a SDO 2 bedroom biennial even lockoff and joined RCI (I already belong to II). One of my goals was to trade in to Disney a couple times, which required at the time 36 points (I get 38 points from the lockoff). Now I'm smart enough not to rely on RCI, Starwood, Disney, so I knew it was a crap shoot and could change any time. Thankfully there are other RCI resorts I'm interested in Harborside, Sheraton Broadway Plantation (reserved for summer 2012), Pinestead Reef MI (near our home), The Crane etc. Plus I know SDO gives me II priority in the Starwood network if I add it to II. Now that Disney has bumped up the exchange points, any recommendations on how to get to Disney one day? Is it worth it to buy another 2 bedroom lockoff SDO? and if so, should I get a biennial even (so I'll have 72 points every even year), an odd (and add the years together), or annual (72 points even years, 38 odd)? I'm familiar with Interval strategy but not so much with RCI and the rolling over of points. Any strategy suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you make an RCI deposit, the points aren't just good for one year.

For instance, I just made a deposit in Dec., and it's good for 2 years - through Dec. 2014.

So yes, you can combine deposits from 2 years to have enough TPU - I believe the charge is $109 to combine deposits.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDO does not have the best ratio of TPU/MF, so i would not buy another one if you want to use it in RCI.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
. Any strategy suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

At this point and the way RCI keeps increasing the TPU's, as long as they keep getting 40,50 TPU's there is no reason why they won't jack it up to whatever the max is if people keep booking it. I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see 60 TPU's. :annoyed:

Right now the fixed cross over grids are a better deal depending on what size unit you will need. If you just need studios and can travel off season, RCI points can be a good option. Wyndham, Bluegreen, Worldmark and Hilton also may be a good deal depending on the size unit you want and where your home resort lies. If you want to go in high season these cross over grids are still a pretty decent deal considering the cost of owning DVC itself.

For the off-site DVC units (Vero & HHI) TPU's will still get you there nicely. ;)

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Now that Disney has bumped up the exchange points, any recommendations on how to get to Disney one day? Is it worth it to buy another 2 bedroom lockoff SDO? and if so, should I get a biennial even (so I'll have 72 points every even year), an odd (and add the years together), or annual (72 points even years, 38 odd)? I'm familiar with Interval strategy but not so much with RCI and the rolling over of points. Any strategy suggestions appreciated. Thanks!"

Your TUG Profile says you own 5 weeks of timeshares. Your post indicates you do not want to buy a week at Disney due to cost.

Be sure you do not overbuy timeshares. GLTY. ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To be quite honest with you, SDO is not a great RCI trader. It has it's most value trading in II, because of the Starwood to Starwood preference.

You would be better off buying a trader with a TPU of 40+ for RCI.

You can use the calculator on RCI to figure out the value of possible purchases - you might want to look at the Bargain Deals forum for free timeshares.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
sdo is my only Rci trader. Marriott Aruba Surf Club is II only.thx for everyone's tips.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
sdo is my only Rci trader. Marriott Aruba Surf Club is II only.thx for everyone's tips.

Unfortunately, SDO is not going to get you Disney. But, it's just not cost effective to buy two poor RCI traders (another SDO week) and double your MF, to increase your TPU. There are RCI traders with higher TPU, and half the MF.

Another option is to pay $99 and combine the TPU from two years, to increase your available TPU.

Last edited:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I have biennial even years, i guess I'll have to wait for Disney in2016 by combining 2014 and 2016. Wow that sounds a long time away but since we have a 4 year old, it is worth the wait. She's going to Disney (staying at Orange Lake) for her first visit this year and don't mind waiting another 4 for next. We'll have a lot of exciting adventures in between and I plan to get her a passport pretty soon.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham points in RCI can be a good value for disney, since it is based off a fixed grid. So skyrocketing tpu's just add to the value. I keep my SDO in II and have been happy with exchanges.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weimaraner,

I'm curious about why you are set on Disney? I'm a huge Disney fan, but Marriott and Starwood both have timeshare properties 5 - 10 mins outside the Disney main gate. You don't even have to get on I-4, so you miss most of the traffic during the busy times. I'm guessing it is because of either transportation or the dining plan? The dining plan may or may not be worth it and Orlando has relatively inexpensive car rental rates. I personally don't think staying on property is as convenient as some others do. (You still have to wait for the transportation. It usually goes to different resorts for pick-up and drop off before heading to the park. Sometimes it's crowded and you have to stand on the bus, boat or monorail, which I've done in the past holding a cranky toddler. Depending where the stop is in relation to your room, you may still have to walk across the resort. The process can take almost an hour if you leave the parks at closing or after the parades or fireworks.)

If you stay in one of the Starwood or Marriott properties, you will also be very close to Seaworld, which is fun for a day or two, especially at your daughter's age now. Universal is pretty close also. When your daughter gets a little older, she may be interested in going to see the Harry Potter section. My daughter, 12 now, is an adrenaline junky and likes the bigger coasters at Universal. There are also a few dinner show - Arabian Nights, a pirate themed one, and a medieval themed show. If your daughter likes horse, she would probably love the Arabian Nights show. I took my girls scout troop there when they were 8 or 9. The girls loved it. You can find buy on-get one free deals for those type of places.

There are tons of restaurants in the area around Disney. There are tons of specials - kids eat free, 2 can dine for $20, etc, that make it much less expensive to eat off Disney property.

Just my two cents. I live 2 hours away and I have had annual passes for the last 13 or 14 years. I've been there all times of year with all age kids. If you can, I'd travel to Orlando off season while your daughter is younger to minimize wait time. I can't tell you how many times I've seen crying, screaming, or even very sick kids being drug around Disney because the parents try to squeeze too much into a short amount of time and run their kids ragged.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would try direct exchange through TUG Market place (exchange).
Hilton owners can see both RCI points and Weeks inventory so get more chance to book DVC weeks.
Hilton is exchanged through RCI, so they want high end II resort like Four Seasons, Marriott, Hyatt and Westin (Hawaii and Bahamas).
You can use your SDO in II and try to exchange it with Hilton/WorldMark/RCI point owners.
I can see exchange market place is getting more active these days and have had good results.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP,

I'd go via the TUG direct exchange route. Since DVC left II and moved to RCI a few years ago, a lot of DVC'ers are missing Marriott/Starwood resorts.

I talked to a Marriott owner about doing a DVC-Waiohai trade a few years ago.

Also as a dual affiliated Starwood resort owner(Lakeside Terrace in the Vail Valley, ski season), I wouldn't bother with depositing into RCI. It is given a rather sad amount of TPU's according to the calculator. I do better MF/TPU ratio with my summer silver crown MI week.

I think my Wyndham points are a better use in RCI, LT works better in II.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weimaraner,

I'm curious about why you are set on Disney? I'm a huge Disney fan, but Marriott and Starwood both have timeshare properties 5 - 10 mins outside the Disney main gate. You don't even have to get on I-4, so you miss most of the traffic during the busy times. I'm guessing it is because of either transportation or the dining plan? The dining plan may or may not be worth it and Orlando has relatively inexpensive car rental rates. I personally don't think staying on property is as convenient as some others do. (You still have to wait for the transportation. It usually goes to different resorts for pick-up and drop off before heading to the park. Sometimes it's crowded and you have to stand on the bus, boat or monorail, which I've done in the past holding a cranky toddler. Depending where the stop is in relation to your room, you may still have to walk across the resort. The process can take almost an hour if you leave the parks at closing or after the parades or fireworks.)

If you stay in one of the Starwood or Marriott properties, you will also be very close to Seaworld, which is fun for a day or two, especially at your daughter's age now. Universal is pretty close also. When your daughter gets a little older, she may be interested in going to see the Harry Potter section. My daughter, 12 now, is an adrenaline junky and likes the bigger coasters at Universal. There are also a few dinner show - Arabian Nights, a pirate themed one, and a medieval themed show. If your daughter likes horse, she would probably love the Arabian Nights show. I took my girls scout troop there when they were 8 or 9. The girls loved it. You can find buy on-get one free deals for those type of places.

There are tons of restaurants in the area around Disney. There are tons of specials - kids eat free, 2 can dine for $20, etc, that make it much less expensive to eat off Disney property.

Just my two cents. I live 2 hours away and I have had annual passes for the last 13 or 14 years. I've been there all times of year with all age kids. If you can, I'd travel to Orlando off season while your daughter is younger to minimize wait time. I can't tell you how many times I've seen crying, screaming, or even very sick kids being drug around Disney because the parents try to squeeze too much into a short amount of time and run their kids ragged.

Spencersmama - yes the transportation, meal plans and the allure of the Disney resort especially the Animal Kingdom Villas is very enticing to me. You offer some great advice - and yes, my girly girl loves horses so glad to hear about Arabian Nights. Great point about the transportation - I hate to wait for anything.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spencersmama - yes the transportation, meal plans and the allure of the Disney resort especially the Animal Kingdom Villas is very enticing to me. You offer some great advice - and yes, my girly girl loves horses so glad to hear about Arabian Nights. Great point about the transportation - I hate to wait for anything.

The good thing is that you will get a taste of Disney this trip, so that might help you decide if you want to try to wait to stay on property or come back sooner. If I remember correctly, Orange Lake isn't too far away from the main gate on 192. The starwood places are on the other side of I-4.

The animals at AK lodge and villas are really interesting and unique! If you do go and stay on property next time, you should compare prices of places you want to eat at versus using the meal plan. They've really raised the prices of the meal plan in the last couple years and is not worth it in all cases.

The transportation can be handy. Just wanted to give a different view. I've heard friends in the past say things like, "I'm staying on property so I can just hop over to the hotel if I forget something or the kids need a break or even if they baby makes a really messy diaper that I don't feel like dealing with in the park." Ahhh, not quite - depending on where you are, it could take an hour to get back. I don't think you want to wait that long to change your baby's diaper. Maybe that strategy would work with MK and Bay Lake Towers.

Anyway, have fun! What time of year are you coming down?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The good thing is that you will get a taste of Disney this trip, so that might help you decide if you want to try to wait to stay on property or come back sooner. If I remember correctly, Orange Lake isn't too far away from the main gate on 192. The starwood places are on the other side of I-4.

The animals at AK lodge and villas are really interesting and unique! If you do go and stay on property next time, you should compare prices of places you want to eat at versus using the meal plan. They've really raised the prices of the meal plan in the last couple years and is not worth it in all cases.

The transportation can be handy. Just wanted to give a different view. I've heard friends in the past say things like, "I'm staying on property so I can just hop over to the hotel if I forget something or the kids need a break or even if they baby makes a really messy diaper that I don't feel like dealing with in the park." Ahhh, not quite - depending on where you are, it could take an hour to get back. I don't think you want to wait that long to change your baby's diaper. Maybe that strategy would work with MK and Bay Lake Towers.

Anyway, have fun! What time of year are you coming down?

We are in good shape and not pushing a loaded stroller, it will take you from the doors of BLT to the bag check at MK 8-10 minutes.

A lot of people don't get the size of WDW.