• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scottsdale Links- resort fee?

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an exchange for this property, and in looking for info see on Trip Advisor they charge a resort fee. This is not reflected on my II exchange confirmation in any way. To add to my confusion, I think this is now a Diamond Resort, but the confirmation says Sunterra, in case that matters as it relates to the fees. Does anyone have any more info, and will I be on the hook for the fees, even though I was not told of them by II?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond charges RCI inbounds a resort fee at most if not all of their resorts. I don't know if they also do for II inbounds or not. You might want to check your confirmation paperwork and the resort directory with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it isn't disclosed somewhere.

As an aside: as an RCI inbound, it's often the case that a Diamond resort is located near either (a) a comparable resort with availability that doesn't charge such fees or (b) a much nicer resort that does charge them. Either way, I find that I rarely if ever am willing to take a Diamond resort as an exchange, because there are either cheaper or better options (and sometimes both).

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond charges RCI inbounds a resort fee at most if not all of their resorts. I don't know if they also do for II inbounds or not. You might want to check your confirmation paperwork and the resort directory with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it isn't disclosed somewhere.

As an aside: as an RCI inbound, it's often the case that a Diamond resort is located near either (a) a comparable resort with availability that doesn't charge such fees or (b) a much nicer resort that does charge them. Either way, I find that I rarely if ever am willing to take a Diamond resort as an exchange, because there are either cheaper or better options (and sometimes both).

I have been looking at the confirmation, and can't find anything. The closest thing is see is the standard verbiage:

You are responsible for imposed utility/energy surcharges, occupancy or similar taxes, service charges, telephone connection fees, long distance phone charges, personal
charges, and applicable amenities usage, housekeeping or resort fees.

I would prefer some of the other resorts in the area, but the timing for this is good, and I don't see anything else that works quite as well. I have 24 hours to cancel, so I want to get the info on the fees right. I don't want to be surprised buy a significant charge at the front desk.

Thanks!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd assume I'd be charged, leaving room to be pleasantly surprised.

For that specific property, the charge to RCI Inbounds is $24+tax/day. If the overall deal is still good with that, then it's good no matter what.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
For my purposes, paying the resort fee at the DRI outer banks resort seemed high but worth paying for a place hard to find a good timeshare.

Seems to me the high resort fee DRI charges in overbuilt Williamsburg, VA has to hurt their exchange value a fair amount.

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really trying to figure out how I could be charged since it doesn't say anything on my confirmation. I thought that kind of thing had to be disclosed. If i hadn't looked at Trip Advisor I would have been completely shocked at the check in desk, and it is nearly $200, not $20. I think if it is clear before you make the exchange and agree, that is fine, but not if you get basically blindsided.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have also found calling the resort doesn't help clarify the fees. They will often say they have a resort fee, but perhaps that fee only applies to cash paying guests and timeshare stays (ownership or exchange) don't have a fee. No real way to get an answer unless you just stay there.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would refuse to pay and fight with your credit card company. RCI really can control this but has chosen not to control it. Hilton started charging a $25 fee years ago and we simply refuse to stay at a Hilton timeshare. Wyndham has attempted to charge me a daily parking fee when my RCI paperwork clearly showed a $25 weekly fee for parking.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We stayed at the Embarc Palm Desert and they were charging $35 a day! I think Diamond has added those fees to most of its resorts.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We haven’t been Diamond owners for several years, but Diamond (old Sunterra) started charging resort fees to all exchangers prior to us leaving. Owners did. It pay a resort fee at that time.

Resort fees are one of the major reasons we stick within systems now.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I stayed at Scottsdale links about 6-7 weeks this summer between houses. It was an RCI exchange and we had to pay the $24/day upfront at check in for the entire week, even when we checked out early. No prorating. WORST internet ever and the whole resort is a verizon dead zone. The rooms were great, but it was rather insulting to be paying that high of a fee for 1-3 mg download speeds. AOL was probably faster!