• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scotland Resorts Good for Day Tours

MonicaOnVacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vail Resorts @ Hunter, NY Quarter Ownership (13 Weeks)
We are gifting my MIL an RCI exchange for Christmas to Scotland in 2021. She wants to go on a trip to the home of her beloved: Outlander. She doesn't want to drive around, so for the weeks she's in the countryside she wants to do day bus tours. Is anyone familiar with RCI resorts where Bus Tours pick up from the resort?

Thanks much!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am a huge Outlander fan.

I have been to Scotland but it has been 30 years and Outlander has prompted me to go back again. I was to go this year, but 2020 happened. So right now it might be next year or the year after.

That being said Edinburgh is a good base for a lot of the stuff around that area. They do film out of the studio a lot, so there are lots of locations to visit. There are a lot of day trips that can be arranged out of Edinburgh. But some of the locations are a bit far out from that, like Glencoe and Inverness areas. I know that I am planning on staying at the HGVCs in the highlands, there are 3 choices and I own HGVC points, but having a car at those locations is a requirement. I don't believe there are enough day trips that originate outside of the cities. I am planning on Staying in Edinburgh just in a hotel, as there are not a lot of timeshare options that are available.

You may want to consider a stay near Edinburgh and then a multiday bus trip to catch some of the farther out locations. Or just do a bus trip and skip that Timeshare accommodation. There are a lot of outlander options available now. They have said that Outlander has driven Scotland tourism number up some 67%. (Source https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...0a2dfc-4c26-11ea-b721-9f4cdc90bc1c_story.html )

There is a Trafalgar Tour that I considered taking.... https://www.trafalgar.com/en-us/tours/t/highland-trail-inspired-by-outlander but it does not run at the time of year you are listing. Also December will be cold. Is your mom prepared for that?

PM me if you want some additional info

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
When we stayed at Kilconquhar, the resort offered numerous day trips, but for your mom it may be difficult to reach w/out a car. Staying at a t/s in Inverness, Edinburgh or Glasgow might work best for taking tours.
I, too, am an Outlander fan and when we cruised to Inverness in 2016 we toured with WOW Scotland and saw several sights including the Culodden battleground. Out of Edinburgh we used Timberbush tours, but Rabbie's tours are also highly recommended. I would go back to Scotland in a heartbeat!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We stayed in at the Hilton Carlton in Edinburgh (they had a sale), and
w-a car, at the HGVC Craigendarroch resort, out of the way, near Ballater.

MonicaOnVacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vail Resorts @ Hunter, NY Quarter Ownership (13 Weeks)
Thank you! She has decided to go in May 2021. She too is on a lot of tour boards, so we'll see what we can line up for her. I think she wants to do like a two-week tour and then like a week in Inverness or somewhere out in the country.
When we stayed at Kilconquhar, the resort offered numerous day trips, but for your mom it may be difficult to reach w/out a car. Staying at a t/s in Inverness, Edinburgh or Glasgow might work best for taking tours.
I, too, am an Outlander fan and when we cruised to Inverness in 2016 we toured with WOW Scotland and saw several sights including the Culodden battleground. Out of Edinburgh we used Timberbush tours, but Rabbie's tours are also highly recommended. I would go back to Scotland in a heartbeat!