• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Around here, there has been no discussion of 2.5 hour per day limits so I am going to have to read a bit on that.
But if only those of us who work in the public schools could limit our interaction to just students......

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I applaud you for doing this. It makes eminent sense to me. Yes, there is a cost but it is not nearly as much as it costs my Daughter and her husband to send their 3 kids to a small Christian School.

George
Thank you -- trust me, I looked seriously at some private schools around me. But at the end of the day, I feel in my gut that our governor is going to shut all of the schools down here (he can do that for privates, too) and I didn't want to have my daughter in caught up in that nonsense anymore.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
You do realize these observations are about the English school system....right?

Yes and the UK school system is usually superior to ours.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Around here, there has been no discussion of 2.5 hour per day limits so I am going to have to read a bit on that.
But if only those of us who work in the public schools could limit our interaction to just students......
District 25 here in Arlington Heights IL. Elementary school district. They will have only 2.5 of online learning PER day. That's it ! Kids are on their own the rest of the day.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
@TravelTime

Please be careful when you make blanket statements like you have above. You are degrading thousands of people who aren’t lazy, like me.

I said “People who are claiming it is too hard are just plain lazy IMO.“ Are you complaining about working online?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Did you see there is an exemption for obesity !
Yep, as defined by the CDC. I notice you didn't point out any of the other conditions the CDC defines as high risk.

"All staff belonging to high-risk groups as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will be exempt from returning to campus this school year. That includes anyone over 65 as well as those with chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a weakened immune system, obesity, cancer, serious heart conditions, sickle cell disease, type II diabetes or pregnancy."

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so a child's education is exclusively the responsibility of the teacher.....got it!

I did not say that but I think teachers are not teaching now. One of my teen clients told me he Is just supposed to submit work and there is no teaching at all. He said there have been zero online lessons by teachers. And this is in a good school district in the SF Bay Area. I can only imagine what is happening in the rest of the country.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, as defined by the CDC. I notice you didn't point out any of the other conditions the CDC defines as high risk.

"All staff belonging to high-risk groups as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will be exempt from returning to campus this school year. That includes anyone over 65 as well as those with chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a weakened immune system, obesity, cancer, serious heart conditions, sickle cell disease, type II diabetes or pregnancy."

This is not fair to healthy people.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing on my school rant -- in IL the state board of education requires 4 years of PE. What an absolute waste of time for kids to be doing PE via Zoom calls. Now that my kid is moving to the IUHS, that PE requirement is gone and she can spend her time focused on academic learning.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not say that but I think teachers are not teaching now. One of my teen clients told me he Is just supposed to submit work and there is no teaching at all. He said there have been zero online lessons by teachers. And this is in a good school district in the SF Bay Area. I can only imagine what is happening in the rest of the country.
Now in this area, I can shed some light. When our state public school systems switched to remote learning last March, we were told by the state DOE NOT to introduce or cover any new material. I cannot defend that decision but I can say that I do not believe remote learning (as it is presently practiced) is effective to any meaningful degree. Remote learning has a place - as a reinforcement mechanism - but NOT as a means of introducing new material.

I believe the state understood this when the decision was made, but where they have failed is in the four months since. No progress at all has been made in improving remote learning and yet (magically somehow) people seem to think remote learning can meaningfully instruct students. It can not. At least not in meaningful numbers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
@TravelTime

I just wrote a long, detailed post on what you might not be seeing. After reading more in this thread, I decided it is not worth my time to continue this discussion. It would be best if I bowed out before I say something that is not within my character.

It’s my own fault for reading this thread. I need to treat education threads here on TUG as I do Covid threads.

@Cornell

I agree with you on the PE.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now in this area, I can shed some light. When our state public school systems switched to remote learning last March, we were told by the state DOE NOT to introduce or cover any new material. I cannot defend that decision but I can say that I do not believe remote learning (as it is presently practiced) is effective to any meaningful degree. Remote learning has a place - as a reinforcement mechanism - but NOT as a means of introducing new material.

I believe the state understood this when the decision was made, but where they have failed is in the four months since. No progress at all has been made in improving remote learning and yet (magically somehow) people seem to think remote learning can meaningfully instruct students. It can not. At least not in meaningful numbers.
I believe what happened in your state during the spring '20 was the experience in most places. I can let that go - I think most parents can.

But I've been watching what's going on from the sidelines since then and just don't feel confident that progress has been made in the past 4 months in regards to remote learning in our schools. It's upsetting & frustrating. This observation (among other things) has led to my decision to "opt out".

I am now going into our new HS experience with a fresh & open mind. I am cautiously optimistic that IU HS will excel at this education model since they've been doing it for many years. One subject , in particular, is going to be my daughter's Achilles heel online. We may get an in-person tutor for some one-to-one assistance if needed. There are lots of teachers around here looking for a side hustle now !

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Why did your state tell you not to introduce or cover any new material? That seems negligent.

I think remote learning can be just as good as in person learning if it is done even halfway well. It does not take a rocket scientist to teach online.

I am taking a lot of online classes right now that are normally only offered in person. So far, they are all fabulous. And this is by individuals (single persons) and nonprofit institutions that have a lot fewer resources than school districts.

geekette

Reaction score
This is not fair to healthy people.
Healthy people have the option to become unhealthy in order to get an exemption.

I'm a little appalled that you seem to think that those already battling chronic disease should just go ahead and get exposed to COVID, to be "fair".

The virus isn't fair to unhealthy people. Many unhealthy people did nothing to gain the illness. I don't blame people with pancreatic cancer for having a pancreas, and I could have avoided breast cancer if only I would have pre-emptively had them removed when I grew them.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TravelTime

I just wrote a long, detailed post on what you might not be seeing. After reading more in this thread, I decided it is not worth my time to continue this discussion. It would be best if I bowed out before I say something that is not within my character.

It’s my own fault for reading this thread. I need to treat education threads here on TUG as I do Covid threads.

@Cornell

I agree with you on the PE.

We all have our opinions. That is the beauty of the USA. We have the right to free speech and to call it as we see it. I am sick and tired of paying taxes for bad outcomes.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Healthy people have the option to become unhealthy in order to get an exemption.

I'm a little appalled that you seem to think that those already battling chronic disease should just go ahead and get exposed to COVID, to be "fair".

The virus isn't fair to unhealthy people. Many unhealthy people did nothing to gain the illness. I don't blame people with pancreatic cancer for having a pancreas, and I could have avoided breast cancer if only I would have pre-emptively had them removed when I grew them.

No, all teachers should just stay home and teach online - healthy and unhealthy. It is not fair to allow healthy teachers to get exposed to Covid and die. For all we know the so-called "healthy" people may not be all that healthy so why should they be allowed to die?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Congrats to Laura for finding a solution that works for her and her daughter. I suspect you'll end up pleased with the decision to not go the GED route and instead complete high school (online), and then handle college next year. Make the best of it!

And yes, I agree there are likely many options for tutoring this year, especially via Zoom etc. You can find instructors from anywhere (I don't remember the name, but I believe there's at least one reputable site to find tutors).

Status
Not open for further replies.