• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@geekette I am going to remote work from a different location for a while . Not a month! And won’t have a ton of day time to explore. I’m super busy at work these days which I am SOOOO happy about. I work in survey research and all of our healthcare clients are doing huge studies to understand the impact of c19. Interesting stuff .

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I know our SD has many students who are enrolled in HS and at the local college. It’s actually a different track and quite common I discovered. SD created partnerships w/ local CC.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I know our SD has many students who are enrolled in HS and at the local college. It’s actually a different track and quite common I discovered. SD created partnerships w/ local CC.
Same thing here in Santa Fe at the community college. Dh had been taking pottery classes there and he said there were usually a couple of students in this program in his classes. Also I have a friend, who son was not in this particular program, who took several classes at the community college (mostly PE classes) so that he could take more classes at his high school.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Going to CC early can have a lot of benefits. I went early 30+ years ago because I had enough credits to graduate HS and it was actually easier than the harder HS classes. That semester plus a few summer CC classes allowed me to graduate From college a year early.
So, your DD might get some unexpected lemonade.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing prepares you better for college than college. ;)

I have a friend and colleague who runs a "sister" organization to mine in Shanghai. He's been stuck in the States with his family since coming to Atlanta for a work meeting in late Jan. JANUARY. (He's an American citizen, and was visiting family after the business trip, but had no intention to stay months and months.) Here's what he has to say about the whole school situation, if you are looking for a wider perspective. This is from a FB post he made three days ago:

Knowing many of my friends are waiting for news about school openings, I though I would post a few links to news/ research/ practices coming out of Asia, where schools began opening in June.

The first is the process that my son's school in Shanghai implemented. They were considered to be one of the best cases, and in the video link you will see what that looked like.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=271409884213971

Second is an article speaking to the fact that two weeks after schools in China opened, they were closed again. This article doesn't speak to the cases found in schools, but in addition to the 100 cases that came into Beijing, there were immediate cases found in the schools. Showing that masks, shields, pointing desks one way, staggering student schedules, and canceling all physical activities, were not enough.
https://www.msn.com/…/covid-19-spread-fastest-b…/ar-BB16V7xm

Next list if from Korea, where a recent study showed that teens/ tweens are more likely to spread the virus than kids under 10, and those over 18. This seems to be a preliminary finding, but if proven through further studies (which are ongoing in China / Hong Kong), then that does not bode well for the reopening of US/ EU schools.
https://www.foxnews.com/…/beijing-closing-schools-colleges-…...

The last is a recent report on the outbreak at the Kanakuk summer camp, in Missouri, where more than 80 kids and staff tested positive during 5 day/ night camp. I haven't seen any followup on the severity of cases, but this certainly speaks to the speed by which the virus is able to spread between students and adults.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/998e172e-c22a-11ea-b178-bb…

I know everyone is anxious for this time to pass, but rushing the kids into classrooms is the surest way for them to return to online learning full time. For those interested in some tips & tools of how I have adapted, or on how I am approaching the Sept-Dec term for my 8 year old, feel free to reach out.
I have researched it all!

101775683_271413394213620_7190136648844446679_n.jpg

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@elaine @bbodb1 @geekette -- thank you all for your comments and thoughts. You really got the wheels turning.

My daughter and I had a good conversation today. We are THINKING and hoping that she could possibly pull off being done with high school after Sem 1 this year. We analyzed her transcript and think it is possible. A lot has to do with how much credit her high school registrar is going to give her for her Swiss classes. Nonetheless, if she can pull it off, she will finish high school in December and then can take local classes at our CC this spring and even next summer. We have a phone meeting scheduled with her HS counselor on Wednesday. Let's hope this plan works. If not, we may loop back to the GED idea.

My daughter is just "done" with high school . All the wind has been taken out of her sails about being a senior and what it entails. She has shifted her mindset into "how can I get out of there so I can focus on college". In a way, I think it's a healthy mindset. It's better than wallowing in sadness. I think her Swiss exchange has made her realize that life is so much more than high school.

Looks like I'll be saving money on prom expense too :)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
At our (upper middle class) school in VA/DC suburbs, my friend who subbed there and has a HS freshman said she's "400% sure that at least 50% of kids did not log onto school website at all this spring" and her kid only did it because she made a schedule, was home all day to monitor, and checked his work. If that's the course for a school with few low income students, I can't imagine the stats for those with no parent home during the day, not able to monitor, help, etc.? I fear "lost kids, lost year."
Even with a parent checking, it's not the same. I had 2 kids in HS same time. 1 would have done bare minimum with me checking on him. The other would've been fine and done all work. I vote masks and school. American Academy of Pediatrics is advocating opening schools.

CDC also.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
A lot has happened in the 3 weeks since I posted above. I don't know that in person is the best idea currently, given the dramatic rise in Covid. Our school is doing remote for 1st 9 weeks, then deciding. Our school board chair is a Dr. I think that's a wise approach. I think a county by county approach, depending on Covid rate is probably also a good approach. It's a very tough call for a tough issue. Hopefully, vaccine soon.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
@Cornell If I had a teenager in their junior or senior year of high school, I would take the covid crisis as an opportunity to get into the college of their choice. Since many kids are deferring college and foreign students are not coming back, it should be an opportunity to get in more easily to competitive colleges. I have some friends with a child who is a junior and they see it as an opportunity. I would go with the flow and have them finish high school online and get in as much extracurricular activities and volunteer opportunities as possible so they have a strong college application. I work with teens and that is what they are doing. Don't let your daughter get down and check out of high school. This is too important for her future.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Cornell If I had a teenager in their junior or senior year of high school, I would take the covid crisis as an opportunity to get into the college of their choice. Since many kids are deferring college and foreign students are not coming back, it should be an opportunity to get in more easily to competitive colleges. I have some friends with a child who is a junior and they see it as an opportunity. I would go with the flow and have them finish high school online and get in as much extracurricular activities and volunteer opportunities as possible so they have a strong college application. I work with teens and that is what they are doing. Don't let your daughter get down and check out of high school. This is too important for her future.
Are you sure foreign students aren't coming back? There was talk that their visas would be denied if classes were online, but that decision was change from what I remember hearing. It's very possible that there will be foreign students that won't return, but I would imagine there are those who want to finish out their programs.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Great advice. I would add that the earlier suggestion of community college is also quite good. For many the college experience has changed dramatically in the last ~20-30 years and community college is now much more acceptable and recommended as the choice. In California, I believe it's still common for many to go to community college for the first two years and then transfer to a State (or UC) school. I'm not sure how it's done in Illinois.

I would try to look upon this as objectively as possible, though that may be very difficult to do at this time. It's a big decision to leave high school early, so take your time.

I studied abroad when I was in high school and, contrary to what I was promised by my local high school, upon my return I was unable to transfer all the credit I had earned. This forced me to make a difficult choice...take another year of high school or limit my college selection options to those who were willing to accept my unique status. I chose to take another year (at an out of state boarding school...), and I don't regret that decision (though I do regret the school I chose for that year). So I understand some of the issues @Cornell is struggling with since her daughter was unable to complete her spring courses and obtain the associated credit. After high school I went to an excellent college and, after taking extra classes and summer school, graduated early (the year I should have graduated had I received the overseas credit). When I look back at that decision, I now regret I rushed college and would have enjoyed another year (I wanted to graduate early for a variety of reasons, though primarily I was concerned about the high cost of school). I don't wish this experience on anyone, especially when it's sudden and without any planning. However, from what I've read so far in this thread there are many good choices and it's hard to go wrong pursuing any of them.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How is this going @Cornell?
And most importantly, what thoughts has your daughter expressed?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To parents. teachers & students please be careful an eleven years old female from Hopewell, VA attended a church function last week in Northern Virginia. Monday she became ill and was tested as positive for COVID-19..

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of now my Daughter's kids (13, 10 and 7) relatively small Christian School is scheduled for normal in person, on campus classroom school. Texas is allowing religious affiliated schools to make their own decisions. The school got the parents, teachers and administration together and they came up with how they plan to handle it...

George

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
My district just released its plan for reopening in September, pending the governor’s approval.
Students will be divided into 2 groups by household. Group A will attend school on Monday and Tuesday. Group B will attend on Thursday and Friday. Virtual learning will be conducted the other 3 days. Wednesday will be for deep cleaning between the groups.
Special Ed students will be in 5 days a week.
With half classes, they can maintain social distancing. Children do not have to wear masks if they are 6 feet away from others. (At their desks)
However if they are 1:1 with the teacher, or in any common area, they must wear a mask. Masks are required on the school bus unless there is a documented medical reason why a mask cannot be worn.
Masks are mandatory for staff.
PE and music classes will have to be modified.
The plan will be re-evaluated each quarter and more frequently as needed.
It certainly isn’t perfect but it is a starting point. I believe many parents will not be comfortable sending their children back in the beginning.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My bff who lives in Brevard County, Florida was telling me about how her two grandsons will be going back. Their mom (her dd) had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and declare their intentions by the end of this month. The older son, who is in high school is opting to go back part time as there are classes he will be taking that have to be done in person. I think he'll be in school part time and at home part time. The younger son who is 11 is the cautious one and has opted to be fully online.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it's official. We are home-schooling for my daughter's senior year of HS. In my wildest dreams I never thought we'd be in this position.

Our school district has yet to finalize their school plans and school starts in 3 weeks. Families are in limbo. I've been monitoring the school situation closely in IL and practically all of the school districts are going 100% online, so I suspect ours will fall in line, too. Also , our governor is sending all kinds of signals that he will force all schools to be online vs. leaving it up to the local school districts.

I had an upsetting conversation w/my daughter's school counselor this week. It was apparent from this conversation that these schools are NOT prepared for online-learning. I think it's going to be a repeat of spring '21 - which was an absolutely awful experience.

My daughter is now enrolled in a private, online HS (Indiana University HS for those interested) . They have been teaching in the online space for years and I feel much more comfortable that they know how to execute this vs. our local HS. I'm honestly mad that I am paying for "private" schooling b/c our local schools are failing (at least failing my standards).

It's been an awful couple of weeks searching (and crying) for figure out how to get my kid educated & graduated. I feel a sense of relief that we now have a plan.

Kids who don't have the $$ for this (or parents who will look for alternatives) are going to fall further & further behind.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Possibly. In northern IL, the school online-only plans are be driven by the teachers unions.
The plan in New Mexico right now is that public schools will be online until Labor Day. Some school districts, like Santa Fe, have already planned to be online until October 15. Then the plan when they go to hybrid was to bring the younger children back first.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of our school districts are saying "online until Oct", or "online until X". I don't believe those promises.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I read an article yesterday that said the unions do not want teachers to work their regular full day with online teaching. I am so sick of these unions. Teachers should be grateful to have a job during Covid. Now they are saying they do not want to teach a full day online. This is ridiculous. I do not see why teachers are so special compared to other essential workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.