• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If I do not live in the country it means I am more neutral

You have got to be kidding. What a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding. What a joke.

no, seriously, what is your point? Do you have kids in school? What is your skin in the game?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, Danny. Keep trying to blame me. That’s what you’re good at. You’re a foreigner and somehow you think your opinion is more valuable than mine, and now question my right to contribute an opinion. Really sorry I saw the Tapatalk alert and had the time to unblock you so I could see the posts.

Since you had blocked me, I was not posting for you. But I see we are going back and forth like in the good old days. At least you are leaving @Cornell and @TravelTime alone. For now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Someone please tell a mod to clean this page up. I just reread the last ten or so posts, and most are off topic and unnecessary. What a waste of time.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Since you had blocked me, I was not posting for you. But I see we are going back and forth like in the good old days. At least you are leaving @Cornell and @TravelTime alone. For now.

Well, I’m going to block you again. You clearly haven’t changed.

Yet another personal attack. Wondering how many it takes for you to get banned from TUG.

ETA: Laura liked your post, so clearly she’s not objective in the least when it comes to personal attacks. And now TravelTime agreed. Yup, the usual suspects.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to try to bring this back on topic:

Here in the Denver Metro area, most of the school districts near us are planning on doing a hybrid model where they have a couple of days in person, and a couple of days online.

Over 80% of parents in our school district favored in person instruction. At our school something like 95% of parents plan on sending their kids back to school.

While I would LOVE our daughter to be able to attend school in person and we plan on sending her to her first day in 9 days, I think in person instruction will likely get shut down by October. It'll take just a few outbreaks at schools in the district for them to make a drastic decision.

It is a classic no win situation. I feel bad for parents, teachers, and especially students. I don't know what the right answer is....I desperately wish we could get kids back to school, but I think most parents also value safety for their children and teachers and when cases start coming in I think the tide will turn.....I am holding out hope that it can be done reasonably safely.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I'm just going to try to bring in back on topic:

Here in the Denver Metro area, most of the school districts near us are planning on doing a hybrid model where they have a couple of days in person, and a couple of days online.

Over 80% of parents in our school district favored in person instruction. At our school something like 95% of parents plan on sending their kids back to school.

While I would LOVE our daughter to be able to attend school in person and we plan on sending her to her first day in 9 days, I think in person instruction will likely get shut down by October. It'll take just a few outbreaks at schools in the district for them to make a drastic decision.

It is a classic no win situation. I feel bad for parents, teachers, and especially students. I don't know what the right answer is....I desperately wish we could get kids back to school, but I think most parents also value safety for their children and teachers and when cases start coming in I think the tide will turn.....I am holding out hope that it can be done reasonably safely.

Glad you got this back on topic after someone derailed the conversation.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm just going to try to bring this back on topic:

Why do you think parents want in school instruction if they, like you, believe it is inevitable that it will be a source of infection and will get closed? We have seen it happen already in several other schools which opened in the last week or two. Are you personally not worried about your kids getting C19? I’m curious...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Glad you got this back on topic after someone derailed the conversation.

Yes. It would be nice to restrain all comments to the topic. Like the multiple articles and polls I posted today and which resulted in very few responses (other than the one which derailed us in the last hour).

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you think parents want in school instruction if they, like you, believe it is inevitable that it will be a source of infection and will get closed? We have seen it happen already in several other schools which opened in the last week or two. Are you personally not worried about your kids getting C19? I’m curious...

I can speak for my own situation. I certainly don’t want my daughter to get c19 , but I’m not worried about it .

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I can speak for my own situation. I certainly don’t want my daughter to get c19 , but I’m not worried about it .

Thanks.

This fits with that earlier survey that showed the Midwest with the lowest concern. It could be why Chicago is having such an issue, as you and others have indicated in this thread. FWIW, I don’t see it in LA. Every other parent I’ve spoken with have told me they would keep their kids home even if school was opening but then we are experiencing a huge outbreak in LA and schools are closed.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The West is liberal politically. The liberals are more likely to want to do online school. This is when the liberals are conservative and the conservatives are liberal.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The West is liberal politically. The liberals are more likely to want to do online school. This is when the liberals are conservative and the conservatives are liberal.

Well, if you are saying that the west believes in science and is more concerned with safety, then yes I would agree. This, of course, has nothing to do with politics...

Read the Gallup poll I posted earlier.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Like most stuff in life there is a risk / reward scale. While we don't want COVID-19 we don't have any of the risk factors that could complicate things for us. I think our opinion may be a bit different if we were living in an area where things were more out of control.

The reward in this case is that we believe that her quality of education will be better in person. She unfortunately is a little behind and fell further behind with online instruction. When we finished out Kindergarten (half day), we probably spent 5 hours a day doing homework, but she didn't seem to be learning as much. She is very bright, but we aren't trained educators and would have a hard time identifying any potential learning issues and get early intervention. We also didn't grow up with Common Core which is very different from what we learned, so when we do online instruction we aren't able to help her in a way that the current education system is trying to teach her.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, if you are saying that the west believes in science and is more concerned with safety, then yes I would agree. This, of course, has nothing to do with politics...

Read the Gallup poll I posted earlier.

Maybe us Californians are just more anxious than the hardy Midwesterners.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Yes, us Midwesterners believe a dirty child is a healthy child
Yep, you nailed it. I am sure not all of us share this mentality, but many of us have descended from farming families...going way, way back. No antibacterial stuff, no ultra clean home, raising kids with dogs, cats, horses, chickens, gerbils, rats, reptiles, etc. And yes, we vaccinate our children.

But to the original discussion....our northern WI school district begins after Labor Day, and per their website, it plans to remain open for daily student instruction with parent/child virtual option. The bussing schedule has not changed. We don’t have school age children, so we remain supportive of each individual’s choice.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will try to square this circle. I do not believe the two sides 'arguing" are again mutually exclusive. If a survey goes out judging interest in in person schooling it will be overwhelming in favor of it. The polls Ken and I have been posting get a little more specific about conditions under which parents, teachers, and the public in general are willing to send their kids back to school. I believe we are all monolithic in wanting our kids in school. We are very divided in sending our kids to school under current and various proposed scenarios.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's hope they do not have to
Yep, you nailed it. I am sure not all of us share this mentality, but many of us have descended from farming families...going way, way back. No antibacterial stuff, no ultra clean home, raising kids with dogs, cats, horses, chickens, gerbils, rats, reptiles, etc. And yes, we vaccinate our children.

But to the original discussion....our northern WI school district begins after Labor Day, and per their website, it plans to remain open for daily student instruction with parent/child virtual option. The bussing schedule has not changed. We don’t have school age children, so we remain supportive of each individual’s choice.
I am actually concerned that this pandemic is creating a culture of excessive fear that will have negative effects to the immune system in the long run.

Brett

Reaction score
Let's hope they do not have to

I am actually concerned that this pandemic is creating a culture of excessive fear that will have negative effects to the immune system in the long run.

similar to the 1918 Flu pandemic and plagues in the 13th and 14th century
a "culture of excessive fear" created weak individuals unable to cope with modern society o_O

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I will try to square this circle. I do not believe the two sides 'arguing" are again mutually exclusive. If a survey goes out judging interest in in person schooling it will be overwhelming in favor of it. The polls Ken and I have been posting get a little more specific about conditions under which parents, teachers, and the public in general are willing to send their kids back to school. I believe we are all monolithic in wanting our kids in school. We are very divided in sending our kids to school under current and various proposed scenarios.
iu

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

There's some deep thoughts for a Sunday morning.....interesting, Danny.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree with you 100% but I do not think the polls can capture how strongly parents feel about different theoretical options. Interpreting the answers can be quite a challenge and used inappropriately. I am going to grade my personal preferences to exemplify.

- in school 4 days a week, 1 day at home: 10
- in school 5 days a week: 8 or 9
- in school 3 days a week, 2 days at home: 8 or 9
- in school 2 days a week, 3 days at home: 5-6
- online classes only: 1

As you can see I am strongly in the camp of learning in school. A simplified poll though would not make it clear how against online only I am.

In my area, it seems like teaching will be in classes 5 days a week. My kids have already been in a day camp for 5 weeks, next week will be their 6th. On our street kids that have both parents essential workers have been going to daycare since the beginning of the pandemic.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's some deep thoughts for a Sunday morning.....interesting, Danny.
It happens the second Sunday of every month so stay tuned ;).

It is known that we need exposure to the environment to keep our immune system in a top shape. The current culture may mean that some people, especially older ones may make it through Covid only to be wiped out by the next virus that would have otherwise not been very damaging. Unless one thinks we can vaccinate all the time against everything. Not to mention that vaccines are not 100% effective. Dr Fauci said a couple of days ago that a C19 vaccine may not be more than 50% effective, the chances to be highly effective are "not good".

Status
Not open for further replies.