• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Deleted.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

New data from the Kaiser Family Foundation, however, may guide public health experts to an answer; a new report suggests that approximately 24 percent of teachers are at a greater risk for becoming infected with a serious coronavirus infection.

Put differently, that figures accounts for almost 1.5 million teachers, or roughly 1 in 4.

Has the same foundation studied the essential workers' data to have a base for comparison?

The study was made by a foundation that contributes almost exclusively to one party and is probably very aligned politically with the teachers' unions. People under 60 have a very low chance of dying from Covid, it is virtually the same as from the flu. The data is hard to believe especially since many teachers retire early (so the average age cannot be that high), many are women (less at risk) and they usually have a healthier lifestyle. Like always, teachers want a preferential treatment ignoring that so many have gotten back to work already.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1596914827498.png

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m curious.... are their public schools that are NOT providing a remote option ?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m curious.... are their public schools that are NOT providing a remote option ?

Yes. The district I work for is not giving a remote option. If you don’t send your child to school you have to sign them out and homeschool. This could change though.

The district where I live is giving an option for full time remote if we choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. The district I work for is not giving a remote option. If you don’t send your child to school you have to sign them out and homeschool. This could change though.

The district where I live is giving an option for full time remote if we choose.

Thank you ! Would you mind sharing which state you are in ?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
@jackio I think it’s awesome that your district is giving teachers that option.

@bbodb1 I don’t think they would have a problem in Long Island hiring teachers even for one year. These positions are very sought after and lots of young teachers who would start out in a 1 year leave or move out from the city to work on Long Island.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

@bbodb1 I don’t think they would have a problem in Long Island hiring teachers even for one year. These positions are very sought after and lots of young teachers who would start out in a 1 year leave or move out from the city to work on Long Island.

I read that teachers in Long Island make 6 figure incomes. If that is correct, it explains why it is a sought after job.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I read that teachers in Long Island make 6 figure incomes. If that is correct, it explains why it is a sought after job.

Yes some do. We also have a very high COL and taxes off the charts!

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays

Thank you. I thought that it was a very compassionate gesture. It's for all staff, not just teachers.

They will hire "leave replacements" which are given a 1 year contract with benefits, coming in on step 1, which is approx. 54K for a teacher with a master's degree.
Teachers who get their foot in the door as a leave replacement have a good chance of being hired when a permanent position opens up.

The custodians who will step in, however, will be on the frontlines of cleaning and disinfecting, will make about $32K.

We have one nurse who just had a baby and will opt out for the year (after her 12 week FMLA is over). Her replacement will make $43 K, which is about one half of what hospital nurses make here on Long Island.
School nurses are not mandated in NY state, so they are paid much less than teachers and private sector nurses. The reason schools can get nurses to work for that salary is the schedule. No more nights/weekends/holidays.

NYS has legislation for a retirement incentive in committee now. If the law passes, I think we will see several "at risk" employees retiring on short notice. I am 11 months from retiring, so it would pay for me to ride out the school year. I am 61 and, being the school nurse, will have direct close contact with ill students, so I will have to weigh my options should I be given the opportunity for an early out.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
It has been a while, but I thought I'd read that LI was the highest COL.

Yes I think Nassau County is or was #1. Just to clarify as Jackio said teachers don’t make $100k to start - more like between 50-68k depending on degree and varies by district. Just for perspective, my taxes on a 1700sq foot house are about 12k before any exemptions.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I'm sharing something that is becoming a regular thing in the Chicago suburbs. Schools open for remote learning ONLY, but many of the schools are opening up their schools for "virtual learning camps" or some other name. This just defies logic to me -- the schools can't be open for actual school, but they can be open , and staffed, for "virtual school".

Here's a screenshot from one school district's offerings. This is not a one-off -- it's happening all over the place.

For context, District 62 is NOT a well-to-do area. Many of the people living here are probably scraping to pay their property taxes, much less this supplemental fee to have their kids go to somewhere safe.

View attachment 24611
In our area, our SD did open the afterschool program the following week after closures. It was open for the remainder of the school year and then it reopened for Camp. Camp will end the Friday before start of school and then it’s reopened for regular school year.
Our SD worked hard to ensure that the daycare program remains available after polling families. Now it is not subsidized. Parents are still paying full price. And because school version is an expensive option, we are fortunate to have other local options as well: City run programs, YMCA, Tutoring Groups, Boys and Girls Club. I know our SD doesn’t offer scholarships so thankfully there are other options available.
Many of the subsidized programs are given $$$ from local businesses and/or via grants. Many of the programs also do not have skilled tutors who will help your child w/ school work. Also many are licensed under a different entity so the requirements can be less restrictive than schools.(Our SD daycare mirrors school).

geekette

Reaction score
Just for perspective, my taxes on a 1700sq foot house are about 12k before any exemptions.
<gulp>
I pay about $1500 a year for 3000 sq ft, usually we are near the 1 mark for COL index.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Many SD are using school facilities as daycares since many daycare facilities closed due to Covid. I am also a member of a local daycare provider group and many do not accept school age. The only option is SD daycare.
The #s of children are significantly less. I believe they have 50/max day. Pods of 10 w/ 1 adult(State daycare requirement). Separated by grade group. Fully masked. They are together the entire day. Daycare utilizes 4 classrooms max on campus.

The difference w/ our City option is they are in loose pods and outdoors all day.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
My daughter just received the plan from her children's district. They are in for full days, 5 days a week. Parents who choose virtual learning will have their kids follow the school day and hook in to the classroom via internet. They will have the same lessons that the in-person children have. She has not decided whether or not to send my granddaughter.
An interesting aspect - they say the classrooms can hold 20 students socially distancing, and they must wear masks at all times. Each class typically has around 25 students. Should there be over 20 that show up for school that day, the extra students will be sent to an "overflow" area where they will watch the lessons onscreen, just as the virtual learning students so. They said they will rotate who has to leave the classroom. I find this rather distressing. I think they are banking on many parents choosing the virtual learning option.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 24656

this is not a trustworthy poll, out of 1313 people interviewed, only 308 have children in school so the poll is as unscientific as it can get when it comes to what parents actually want
1596933042846.png

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is not a trustworthy poll, out of 1313 people interviewed, only 308 have children in school so the poll is as unscientific as it can get when it comes to what parents actually want
View attachment 24669
LOL title of poll is parents with kids who normally attend school.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d like to see these survey results filtered by adults with school age kids
The first one I posted contrary to one persons opinion was. The way I would like to see it is normalized by the amount of virus that is in the community. My guess is this has more bearing on opinion than any other factor. This has to be the toughest nut to crack in those whole pandemic. My hope is that whatever school districts decide they have the resources needed and are willing to be nimble if conditions change. As much as we would like a clear path forward there is none available.

edited to add this article with this poll

The ParentsTogether poll surveyed more than 1,200 parents about reopening schools and child care needs and found similar results.

• 59% of respondents agreed that "schools should remain closed until they are certain there is no health risk, even if means students fall farther behind."
  • 19% agreed that "schools should reopen as soon as possible so students don't fall too far behind and can receive the educational support they need."

• 45% of parents said they were "not planning" or were "somewhat unlikely" to send their children back to school even if it opened, while another 22% were unsure.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL title of poll is parents with kids who normally attend school.

"lol" was completely misplaced. The first poll you posted has the number of parents spelled out in the methodology (if you cared to read) 308 out of 1310 people surveyed. That is a very small sample especially since other factors seem to play a big role in how people answer.

The second one you posted now shows that 69% of people want schools open one way or another. So I guess you can take back the "lol"

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I’d like to see these survey results filtered by adults with school age kids
"lol" was completely misplaced. The first poll you posted has the number of parents spelled out in the methodology (if you cared to read) 308 out of 1310 people surveyed. That is a very small sample especially since other factors seem to play a big role in how people answer.

The second one you posted now shows that 69% of people want schools open one way or another. So I guess you can take back the "lol"

You are correct. One of the surveys shows 69% want schools open one way or another and only 31% said not at all. The title of that article is completely misleading. This is in contrast to the Kaiser poll. I guess polls are not so reliable. Look what happened in 2016.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct. One of the surveys shows 69% want schools open one way or another and only 31% said not at all. The title of that article is completely misleading. This is in contrast to the Kaiser poll. I guess polls are not so reliable. Look what happened in 2016.
Two totally different samples for these polls so percentages aren’t comparable

Status
Not open for further replies.