• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When one takes a position that is very different from others, you do become a convenient target. I was in a similar position with respect to the mask argument and it is true when many people take a similar stance on a topic, a sort of groupthink occurs. The majority believes there is correctness in numbers but a majority conclusion is not exempt from being fallible. Nonetheless, it does make your position harder when you have to defend it from so many. But if we fail to consider all possible options, our conclusions are made on less than solid foundations.
Or maybe it is the words like panicky and comments on their mental stability and thoughts that are the problem as opposed to the opinion.

Brett

Reaction score
I was beat up on this thread yesterday by a small contingent of Tuggers - 3 in particular. However, my views are pretty mainstream. I am reading many Tuggers posts and I agree with many of them. Many Tuggers are more liberal than me when it comes to Covid. I see Tuggers doing riskier things than I do and having a more liberal attitude about Covid. None of us are conspiracy theorists, if that is what you are thinking. We are all responsible citizens who do not want to spread the virus. I am offended by people who accuse me of being part of the problem as to why the USA is having its problems. I am probably more responsible than others, despite my kicking and screaming about the CDC guidelines.

I don't see school re-openings as a "liberal" or "conservative" issue although I understand some have politicized it that way

Yes, we are all responsible citizens who do not want to spread the virus. And maybe you currently have children in school, I don't know. But if my children were still in school I would certainly be concerned about their safety and quality of education. In my school district there are currently two options for parents this fall - "hybrid" and "fully virtual".
If my children were still in school I think I would choose the "hybrid" option - but I'm glad I don't have to make that choice

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I believe there was an article posted here a week or so ago re the use of two groups of students, one which would attend in person Monday and Tuesday and the other Thursday and Friday. On Wednesday the school would be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, etc. Of all the partial in person plans I've read, it actually sounded the best to me. Of course, in practice who knows how it would go.

That is my district, on Long Island. However the special needs students will go all 5 days.
The parents weighed in, and now the district is also offering an all-virtual option for the parents who do not feel comfortable sending their children at all.

The district also, on Wednesday, announced that it would offer its employees who are not comfortable returning, a one-year leave of absence - unpaid and with no benefits, but keeping seniority. Not just for teachers, but for every staff member. It has yet to be seen how many people can or will take advantage of this.

Country Roads

Reaction score
And if you look back I have "beaten up" both sides on this issue.

It seems that, with 30 pages I just don't see that. You're certainly entitled to whatever opinion you may have and do agree with the others who disagree bbodb1 and others but please, don't claim the middle of the road. Should I be wrong let me know and point me to what you consider "beaten up". ;)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Now that is an interesting development....
The district also, on Wednesday, announced that it would offer its employees who are not comfortable returning, a one-year leave of absence - unpaid and with no benefits, but keeping seniority. Not just for teachers, but for every staff member. It has yet to be seen how many people can or will take advantage of this.
...as i am thinking this may cause some headcount overage in the '21-'22 school year. @jackio - do you know if the district is offering just a one year contact (with no guarantee of return) to anyone hired to fill in this year? Hard to imagine a great deal of demand for a position with a terminal contract date noted....

I will have to give the district credit for trying this approach though - leave no stone unturned.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Or maybe it is the words like panicky and comments on their mental stability and thoughts that are the problem as opposed to the opinion.

There we no comments on anyone’s mental stability. I do not see why a word like “panicky” would be offensive. There was an article in the WSJ this week describing the entire country as worried. It is true that many people are more anxious these days than normally. I do not find it offensive if someone would describe me as worried or anxious or even panicky if I were acting or thinking that way. I tend to have an anxious streak and my husband is always commenting on it. I am not offended by it at all.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I don't see school re-openings as a "liberal" or "conservative" issue although I understand some have politicized it that way

Yes, we are all responsible citizens who do not want to spread the virus. And maybe you currently have children in school, I don't know. But if my children were still in school I would certainly be concerned about their safety and quality of education. In my school district there are currently two options for parents this fall - "hybrid" and "fully virtual".
If my children were still in school I think I would choose the "hybrid" option - but I'm glad I don't have to make that choice

I was not using these terms in a political sense. To me, it is liberal (in the common usage of the term) to want kids back in school 100% and conservative (in the common usage of the word) to want to keep kids home 100%. The hybrid model falls in between the two extremes.

If I had children in school, I would also choose the hybrid model. I would probably set up learning pods too. I am concerned that kids are not going to get a decent education if they go all virtual so I would supplement it with extra stuff.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@jackio What your district is offering with the leave of absence seems pretty fair to me .

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not one of those articles states panic or any teacher talking about immediate death. They are again opinion pieces and I have no problem with your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion on risk vs reward of opening schools. You are not entitled to refer to a different opinion as panicking and using obvious inflammatory speech of "meaning immediate death". A lot of parents and teachers are agonizing over the decision on what to do this fall and a little empathy for those making any decision is needed.

If we are getting literal, then this is what I said: “I think parents and teachers are panicking like Covid means immediate death. I have heard teachers saying “I am not willing to die in the classroom.”

I never said I read an article where “immediate death“ was used. I used “I think” before describing my interpretation. Then I said that I have heard teachers say they do not want to die. The articles I posted all refer to not wanting to die due to teaching BUT these were not the articles I read before bc I can’t find them. All I did was a google search with this phrase “teacher do not want to die” and a bunch of articles popped up.

I almost did not post any articles because I knew you would discredit them anyway.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I was not using these terms in a political sense. To me, it is liberal (in the common usage of the term) to want kids back in school 100% and conservative (in the common usage of the word) to want to keep kids home 100%. The hybrid model falls in between the two extremes.

This is interesting, maybe its all interpretation of the definition, to my thinking liberal used as an adjective means open to alternative options for education and conservative means only considering traditional methods.

From the dictionary:

lib·er·al

adjective
open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.
"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people"
(of education) concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.

versus

con·serv·a·tive

adjective
holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is interesting, maybe its all interpretation of the definition, to my thinking liberal used as an adjective means open to alternative options for education and conservative means only considering traditional methods.

From the dictionary:

lib·er·al

adjective
open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.
"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people"
(of education) concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.

versus

con·serv·a·tive

adjective
holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.

You are right. I was thinking that in how I was using the terms, that it is conservative to keeps kids home because then you reduce risk. So in that regard it is conservative. In common usage, people who are conservative do not like to take risks. So it meets the definition of being cautious. It is much safer to keep kids home 100%.

Right now, the liberals are conservative and the conservatives are liberal (if you know what I mean).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You are right. I was thinking that in how I was using the terms, that it is conservative to keeps kids home because then you reduce risk. So in that regard it is conservative. In common usage, people who are conservative do not like to take risks. So it meets the definition of being cautious. It is much safer to keep kids home 100%.

Right now, the liberals are conservative and the conservatives are liberal (if you know what I mean).

Oh yes, I understood what you meant was in terms of the risk involved.

The world does seem upside down right now, people are polarized in their thinking.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of parents and teachers are agonizing over the decision on what to do this fall and a little empathy for those making any decision is needed.
Conversely -- a little empathy could be given to those parents and children where no choice has been given (e.g. only virtural). For those families, it's not just getting a sub-standard education but figuring out how this is going to work if you have working parents or are a single parent. And then somehow scrounging up extra $$ to cover various expenses b/c kids aren't in school.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bad WSJ, it says teachers are anxious.

“In a good year, teaching is one of the only professions where workers are forced to buy their own supplies to subsidize what should be a cost borne by the employer,” she said. Now, she added, “It’s become a matter of life and death.”

“A lot of the teachers that come in are buying because they’re not sure what they’ll be given,” he said. “There’s a lot of anxiety.”

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conversely -- a little empathy could be given to those parents and children where no choice has been given (e.g. only virtural). For those families, it's not just getting a sub-standard education but figuring out how this is going to work if you have working parents or are a single parent. And then somehow scrounging up extra $$ to cover various expenses b/c kids aren't in school.
I have no problem with your opinion.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

New data from the Kaiser Family Foundation, however, may guide public health experts to an answer; a new report suggests that approximately 24 percent of teachers are at a greater risk for becoming infected with a serious coronavirus infection.

Put differently, that figures accounts for almost 1.5 million teachers, or roughly 1 in 4.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Per link above "Closures and Cancellations", THIS is the concerning part:
SCHOOLS/COLLEGES
  • Coastal Carolina University classes are taking place online and will resume on campus in fall 2020 coastal.edu
  • Horry-Georgetown Technical College classes are taking place online and will resume on campus in fall 2020 hgtc.edu
  • All South Carolina K-12 Public Schools will remain closed through the end of the school year. horrycountyschools.net/hcs

Addendum:
Thanks for the corrections bbodb1 & Country Roads....looks like '19-20 school year.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
This
All South Carolina K-12 Public Schools will remain closed through the end of the school year. horrycountyschools.net/hcs

..I believe refers to the '19-'20 school year....not the '20-'21 school year.
But that web page is very poorly organized.....

Reactions: jme

Country Roads

Reaction score

Per link above "Closures and Cancellations", THIS is the concerning part:
SCHOOLS/COLLEGES
  • Coastal Carolina University classes are taking place online and will resume on campus in fall 2020 coastal.edu
  • Horry-Georgetown Technical College classes are taking place online and will resume on campus in fall 2020 hgtc.edu
  • All South Carolina K-12 Public Schools will remain closed through the end of the school year. horrycountyschools.net/hcs

I think they were talking about the school year that has ended and not the upcoming year.

Longer school days among recommendations for reopening SC’s K-12 schools in the fall

South Carolina has published draft guidelines for schools to get students back into the classroom in the fall.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article243431711.html#storylink=cpy

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is just one of many examples as to why I think the schools should stay closed until the legal issues are worked out. Many people are just waiting to sue. I have no idea why anyone would say there is not a mass level of anxiety about the probability of dying from Covid.

From Facebook:
“I swear, I think I'd respond with a legal document they had to sign that held them PERSONALLY as well as the school district accountable for all medical bills, healthcare for long-term effects of the virus, death benefit, and pain and suffering, should I or my child get COVID after I was exposed at the school before I'd go back to work! If they refused, I'd say, "So you want me to put my life and the life of my newborn at risk, but won't take any responsibility for that demand. Have I got that right?" and get that in writing or on video, too.”

Status
Not open for further replies.