• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Why did your state tell you not to introduce or cover any new material? That seems negligent.

I think remote learning can be just as good as in person learning if it is done even halfway well. It does not take a rocket scientist to teach online.

I am taking a lot of online classes right now that are normally only offered in person. So far, they are all fabulous. And this is by individuals (single persons) and nonprofit institutions that have a lot fewer resources than school districts.
Now obviously I cannot speak for all school districts, but I can tell you the few I am familiar with are woefully under equipped for online learning. Under equipped not only in terms of infrastructure (bandwidth, hardware) but also software (applications and websites) suitable for remote learning.

Our district thinks using the exact same set up for in class learning will work for remote learning - it does not. Part of the reason for this is our software (applications and websites) simply do not introduce material in such a way that it reaches the many student learning styles. Independent learners have the best chance to succeed in this environment but no so much other learners. That is the issue with remote learning - it only reaches one learning style effectively.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My 8th graders school (small private) came out with the plan. Very well thought out and laid out. If anyone is collecting info on small private school plans feel free to PM me and I will send.

In a nutshell....
All grades will be in their own pod. Each pod has its own space within the building with its own bathroom, handwashing stations, entrance, kitchen needs and teachers. The goal is that the grade level pods never mix. If a person in the pod is positive, the entire pod goes into distance learning for the time needed.

We received their supply list today.....some of the additions this show they are planning for more outdoors, limiting soft items and items that can easily be sanitized.
1. All weather gear as they will be spending more time outside
2. Lunch boxes made of hard plastic/vinyl for easier cleaning.
3. Waterproof outdoor chair (like a stadium seat) that can be easily sanitized.
4. One backpack with a laptop sleeve to minimize gear coming into the school (they use to carry a laptop bag and backpack)

Hygiene rules: hand washing required: when you enter school, before/after lunch, after you sneeze cough, touch mask, before leave for the day.

She is going, from a psychological point of view she needs to be there. I have full faith in the faculty and staff, I know they will do their best. My biggest worry is irresponsible parents that will still send their kids to school sick because it fits their schedule.

My second concern is the poor kid that may catch Covid and shut down a pod. Of course nobody is supposed to know who it is....but lets be real, it will end up getting around. Will that kid be a target of ridicule of some sort??? I have no idea, but I wonder.

Our state public schools....well the teachers union and gov't have come to an agreement they can start 10 days later so the teachers/schools can work out a plan during that time. So the kids will start mid Sept. That has caused a bit of an uproar because most parents cannot understand why they need and will wait until then to formulate their final plan.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
It's been a long time since I taught high school. Then we were basically given a textbook and a manual, and were expected to come up with our own lesson plans, visual materials, activities and testing. A good bit of preparation was done at our own expense and at home. If one taught the same subject, same grade, for four or five classes a day, year after year, he/she didn't have as much to prepare as a new teacher.

Back to college last fall was eye-opening as to how educating has changed. Printed textbook companies saw their future demise and got into developing their own websites and a combination of printed and/or online textbooks, online materials and activities. Our instructor taught using visual material from the developer, projected onto a large screen in the classroom and using a mouse to point, highlight, and write. Most assignments were written by the developer and completed by the student on the developer's web site....graded immediately by the software but one subjective assignment to be graded by the instructor. Students could submit a note to the instructor on each question. Grades and instructor comments were found online. Each chapter had another episode of a entertaining "soap opera" video to watch. Also on the website were study aids like vocabulary lists, flash cards, articles of cultural interest, and a listening and speaking lab. All prepared and presented by the developer. Extra on paper written assignments and testing were given by the instructor but most likely found among the developer materials and printed along with answers.

Switching to online classes using Zoom was not a big problem. The instructor used the same materials. Lectured as usual except sitting at home in front of her computer. We could be separated into small rooms/groups to do activities and she could pop in at any time. Homework was done, graded and posted as before. The only change came in test taking and how we turned in extra assignments. Sent, downloaded, typed upon, saved, and drug and dropped into her dropbox, of course! :) Oral presentations were videoed and submitted.

Three problems. Instructor stationary thus losing attention. Students' ability to turn off sound or video on their end requiring time for the instructor to track them down. Easy to cheat.

Bottom line for me is that If school districts can purchase these type of materials, it should be as, or more, effective. The loss of in-face social element is important but not absolutely necessary.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Glynda If you don't mind me asking -- what are you taking in college? I'm interested in your experience!

geekette

Reaction score
No, all teachers should just stay home and teach online - healthy and unhealthy. It is not fair to allow healthy teachers to get exposed to Covid and die. For all we know the so-called "healthy" people may not be all that healthy so why should they be allowed to die?
Thank you for clarification. I didn't actually think you meant what I thought you meant. It didn't sound right coming from you.

Agree, I don't want anyone exposed, adult or kid, healthy or not.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Now obviously I cannot speak for all school districts, but I can tell you the few I am familiar with are woefully under equipped for online learning. Under equipped not only in terms of infrastructure (bandwidth, hardware) but also software (applications and websites) suitable for remote learning.

Our district thinks using the exact same set up for in class learning will work for remote learning - it does not. Part of the reason for this is our software (applications and websites) simply do not introduce material in such a way that it reaches the many student learning styles. Independent learners have the best chance to succeed in this environment but no so much other learners. That is the issue with remote learning - it only reaches one learning style effectively.

Kids, regardless of learning style, can spend hours online for gaming, talking to friends, going on social media, etc but they can’t learn online? It seems kids have learned how to do a lot online.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Kids, regardless of learning style, can spend hours online for gaming, talking to friends, going on social media, etc but they can’t learn online? It seems kids have learned how to do a lot online.
Indeed they can learn many things - the question becomes are they learning the academic material they are supposed to be responsible for or are they wasting time in non academic pursuits?

A vast amount of online time is spent on activities that have few (if any) connections to actual learning. Computers have mainly become the means to keep students occupied - which is a waste of time.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We have four kids in school and our rule in the precovid world was that there was no screentime during the week and I also had YouTube locked down on our router. Weekends they could play. When our school went online in March that routine had to go out the window.

Now that YouTube isn’t blocked (because that’s where teachers post their videos) it creates an issue. As parents we can’t sit beside them for 6 hours per day ( in four different rooms) making sure the YouTube channel is from the school and not Dan TDM playing Minecraft.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Well, our SD provided our daily K-12 schedule for Virtual and Hybrid. Now waiting for how they will handle SPED because zero Services were provided.
After reviewing the Kinder schedule(90min Instruction daily), I am seriously considering returning my son to pre-K. Preschools are still in person and he needs the socialization.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We have four kids in school and our rule in the precovid world was that there was no screentime during the week and I also had YouTube locked down on our router. Weekends they could play. When our school went online in March that routine had to go out the window.

Now that YouTube isn’t blocked (because that’s where teachers post their videos) it creates an issue. As parents we can’t sit beside them for 6 hours per day ( in four different rooms) making sure the YouTube channel is from the school and not Dan TDM playing Minecraft.
We have 5 and it’s maddening how much screen time kids are exposed to. And now during the school year, we will be back to 4-6hrs/day because we will need to add tutoring.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son is quasi administration in a big school district, they set up five scenarios for school return. They had settled on a hybrid plan, but the teachers union is strongly opposing it.
baraboo Wisconsin is going back to school, but kids interviewed on tv last night were adamant that wearing a mask was a violation of their rights.
my daughter has three young boys, between kindergarten and fifth grade, they really need to go back to school, this is very bad for students who don’t love school and don’t get a lot of help at home.
It is terrible for any student who rely on school for food, emotional support, and the many other things that schools provide in addition to education

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Starting salaries are low for public school teachers but those with experience make a very nice living especially when you factor in their compensation package.... benefits and pensions that are unheard of in the private sector.
I am a retired Illinois school teacher. They did take 12% of my salary all those years to pay for the pension I receive. My salary was never very high, but my pension has grown, but I was told that the first twenty some years is a return of my own contribution. And the school district never had to put in social security, and in older teachers medicare, and that is seldom taken into account.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a retired Illinois school teacher. They did take 12% of my salary all those years to pay for the pension I receive. My salary was never very high, but my pension has grown, but I was told that the first twenty some years is a return of my own contribution. And the school district never had to put in social security, and in older teachers medicare, and that is seldom taken into account.
Totally get the whole IL teacher pension thing -- this topic is a passion of mine and I follow it closely. Those of you who paid in absolutely should get what you were promised. Unfortunately, the pension payouts are much bigger than the money going in. Hence, why IL is teetering on bankruptcy. It's a financial model that cannot be sustained.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son is quasi administration in a big school district, they set up five scenarios for school return. They had settled on a hybrid plan, but the teachers union is strongly opposing it.
baraboo Wisconsin is going back to school, but kids interviewed on tv last night were adamant that wearing a mask was a violation of their rights.
my daughter has three young boys, between kindergarten and fifth grade, they really need to go back to school, this is very bad for students who don’t love school and don’t get a lot of help at home.
It is terrible for any student who rely on school for food, emotional support, and the many other things that schools provide in addition to education
I feel for these school administrators. They are absolutely in a no-win situation here. Tough, tough choices are being made.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, our SD provided our daily K-12 schedule for Virtual and Hybrid. Now waiting for how they will handle SPED because zero Services were provided.
After reviewing the Kinder schedule(90min Instruction daily), I am seriously considering returning my son to pre-K. Preschools are still in person and he needs the socialization.

Exactly what I would do. Teach what you can at home. Blow off this year and hopefully start for real next year. So your Son will be a year older than his classmates going forward. No big deal. And if he turns out to be an athlete, it will be a plus...

George

Country Roads

Reaction score
Questions arise over plans for private tutoring by teachers in Fairfax County

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (FOX 5 DC) - In Fairfax County, FOX 5 has discovered teachers are advertising paid tutoring services as school districts across the area prepare to start school via distance learning.

One parent said she finds it worrisome that teachers are looking to profit off of what she described as an inferior educational experience referring to virtual learning and once again we’re hearing this separates the haves from the have nots — families who can afford this and those who can’t.

An interesting concept. :ponder:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Country Roads
Yup , 100% parallel situation in IL. This whole thing is creating such anger in the communities where I live. Almost akin to the strife that teachers' strikes create.

Additionally, I have already been told that I am contributing to "systemic racism" by pulling my daughter out of public schools and getting her an online curriculum. I'm contributing to it because I'm furthering the divide of the haves vs have nots.

Country Roads

Reaction score
@Country Roads
Yup , 100% parallel situation in IL. This whole thing is creating such anger in the communities where I live. Almost akin to the strife that teachers' strikes create.

Additionally, I have already been told that I am contributing to "systemic racism" by pulling my daughter out of public schools and getting her an online curriculum. I'm contributing to it because I'm furthering the divide of the haves vs have nots.

How dare you do what's best for daughter, racist! :eek:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
How dare you do what's best for daughter, racist! :eek:
I was stunned. This person is someone I personally know. She sent me a DM via social media with an article making her case. I didn't even know how to react.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 8th graders school (small private) came out with the plan. Very well thought out and laid out. If anyone is collecting info on small private school plans feel free to PM me and I will send.

In a nutshell....
All grades will be in their own pod. Each pod has its own space within the building with its own bathroom, handwashing stations, entrance, kitchen needs and teachers. The goal is that the grade level pods never mix. If a person in the pod is positive, the entire pod goes into distance learning for the time needed.

We received their supply list today.....some of the additions this show they are planning for more outdoors, limiting soft items and items that can easily be sanitized.
1. All weather gear as they will be spending more time outside
2. Lunch boxes made of hard plastic/vinyl for easier cleaning.
3. Waterproof outdoor chair (like a stadium seat) that can be easily sanitized.
4. One backpack with a laptop sleeve to minimize gear coming into the school (they use to carry a laptop bag and backpack)

Hygiene rules: hand washing required: when you enter school, before/after lunch, after you sneeze cough, touch mask, before leave for the day.

She is going, from a psychological point of view she needs to be there. I have full faith in the faculty and staff, I know they will do their best. My biggest worry is irresponsible parents that will still send their kids to school sick because it fits their schedule.

My second concern is the poor kid that may catch Covid and shut down a pod. Of course nobody is supposed to know who it is....but lets be real, it will end up getting around. Will that kid be a target of ridicule of some sort??? I have no idea, but I wonder.

Our state public schools....well the teachers union and gov't have come to an agreement they can start 10 days later so the teachers/schools can work out a plan during that time. So the kids will start mid Sept. That has caused a bit of an uproar because most parents cannot understand why they need and will wait until then to formulate their final plan.
Yes, the plan should have been worked on all summer.
sounds like a good plan, unless any student has a sibling.
how do they get to school? Seems like they must come by car, again assumes not riding with sibling or car pooling.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Country Roads

What bull

Status
Not open for further replies.