• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

School cafeteria lunches, enjoy them? Or Hate them? What was your favorite / or worse thing?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
..... We did not have pizza for lunch in high school. LOL

I would say we had something that they called pizza, but I wouldn't eat it. We made our own most every Sunday we were home.

that’s funny , I call it cardboard pizza like the old Tony frozen pizza.
when I’m at a At Chineese buffet-that pizza
Reminds me of school lunch every time

I love it!

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
My favorite “bag” lunch
Triple decker peanut butter and jelly sandwich On Wonder bread-YUM

close second was left over liver and onion Sandwich:rolleyes:

some of you are turning:sick:

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We had the Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes and they called it Gravy Train. We also had the soy burger and some type of pre made pizza. That was about all I liked in grade school. I mostly brought my lunch and paid 3 cents for chocolate milk instead of the 2 cents for white milk. My mom always made sandwiches for lunch but they always got smashed by the apple she put in there. Which I usually never ate anyway.

I drove my dads company car for my drivers test in Chicago. It was a Gremlin that didn’t have power brakes or power steering. I drove around the block and half way around, the instructor told me to parallel park here. There were no other cars so I just pulled over and he said fine, let’s go back. When I told my dad I passed he said, no kidding, what did you think, they pass out licenses here. :)

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Springs Tennis Club (3)
HiltonLake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Chili, applesauce and cinnamon rolls were always served on Tuesdays. I loved it! My mom was a great cook but my sister and I still talk about how much better we liked the school’s chili. I want some now!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Wow, I had to parallel park to obtained my driving license in high school. Can high school students parallel park now.? LOL.

Four years ago, my daughter had to. She passed that with flying colors. The only points she got taken off was she didn’t pull up to the line far enough.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
hot lunch was 35 cents / milk was 3 cents
I graduated grade 8 in 1969.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll drive around the block 40 times before I'll parallel park! Didn't have to do it to get my license in MO. :)

I remember cornbread and beans in elementary school. Yummy. Out here in Maine, I love the breakfasts at schools. The elementary school cook used to make cinnamon buns from scratch. I always wanted to be subbing in the school on those days! Leftovers went in the teacher's lounge!
I'm with you..parallel parking and me.... takes way too long and I just haven't had enough practice to be good !! Not as many bug spaces and parking lots here in Portugal....so I drive around alot.lololol...

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with you..parallel parking and me.... takes way too long and I just haven't had enough practice to be good !! Not as many bug spaces and parking lots here in Portugal....so I drive around alot.lololol...
To the OP, let’s be honest the average auto size in Portugal are a lot smaller than in the USA with all our large SUV, trucks and sedan. nerodog, we loved Lisbon and all your people. Great city to visit IMHO.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, let’s be honest the average auto size in Portugal are a lot smaller than in the USA with all our large SUV, trucks and sedan. nerodog, we loved Lisbon and all your people. Great city to visit IMHO.
Yes I now own a smaller vehicle after years of SUV !! Still getting used to the smaller spots to park ! Lisbon is a fabulous city, always something to do and close by to many sights like Obidos, Cascais, Sintra, Arrabida, Fatima et etc... thx Pedro !

geekette

Reaction score
Yes. Around here, it's like condos circling, waiting for a pullthrough...

geekette

Reaction score
close second was left over liver and onion Sandwich:rolleyes:

some of you are turning:sick:

Dave
At first, yeah, cold liver? Gross!

But, I do like Braunschweiger, which is, I think, liver "sausage", so, I'm there with you - I like a thick slab on bread with mayo and onion. Super rich and filling.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

But, I do like Braunschweiger, which is, I think, liver "sausage", so, I'm there with you - I like a thick slab on bread with mayo and onion. Super rich and filling.
Also called liverwurst (liver sausage). One of my all time favorites, but something that others wouldn't eat in a million years.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I attended St. Joseph Catholic School in Waipahu for 3rd and 4th Grades. It had a hot lunch Cafeteria. Quite often sticky white rice was part of the lunch with gravy, stew, etc on top. I absolutely loved it.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We had the Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes and they called it Gravy Train.
OMG, that brings back memories. That was one of my favorite meals in elementary school, although we didn't call it Gravy Train (but I like the name). My least favorite was our cafeteria's version of hamburgers. The patties came pre-cooked in tube of plastic, and they just warmed up the whole tube in pots of boiling water and then served them straight from the plastic tubes in a warming tray. They were gross, and not sure what percentage was actually meat.

I was in school mostly in the 70's -- does anyone else remember when they declared that ketchup "counted" as a vegetable for school lunches? Those days when we had hamburgers, I remember a big scoop of ketchup being put in one of the sections of our standard 3-section cafeteria plates and that was our "vegetable" for the meal.

I was at very small school (900 person town), so there was usually just one, sometimes two, choices for the meal, and only 2% milk (no chocolate, skim, etc.). Plus, the school (K-12 in one school) had a closed campus, so we had to stay on school grounds the whole day. We were always jealous of our cousins who lived in the "big city" and actually got choices for their lunches.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Also called liverwurst (liver sausage). One of my all time favorites, but something that others wouldn't eat in a million years.
Liverwurst was one of my favorites growing up. Probably one reason I really like pate now.

My mom also used to make chopped olive sandwiches. Yummm.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is a great topic, and I have a cool story to tell. I grew up in Virginia where historically there were schools for whites and schools for "colored" people. You get the point. As we merged the kids together, the schools kept their cafeteria, maintenance, and janitorial staffs in place. From grade 1-3 I attended what used to be a school for white kids. The food was pretty good. Years 4-6 I attended a school that used to be for "colored" students. The food was amazing. The ladies made everything from scratch including bread and rolls, baked goods, etc. Everything had flavor. I guess some of the african american southern "soul" influences made it to my school lunches. They let us have seconds too. After that I went to newer schools with integrated staffs and the food was just okay. I was pretty luck for those 3 years.
This reminded me of our trip driving from New Orleans to Chicago after DS graduated from Tulane and got a job in Chicago. We were pretty hungry when we were somewhere in Mississippi around lunch time. Took a detour to one of these towns along the highway and saw only one restaurant. When we walked in, everyone stared at us. The diners were all black and probably never saw a Chinese step in this place. Apparently you could either eat as a buffet or order a la carte. I chose buffet, DS and DH chose burger. The buffet included fried chicken. It was the best I had ever had! To this day, I still salivate whenever I thought of this place (cant remember the name though)

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg

My dad loved that stuff , we did everything together , so I did as well.
Braunschweiger (goose liver) I crave about every 6 months buy enough for a couple of thick sandwiches. Has to be the pink / brown round type to fill the itch. A local meat market makes their own it didn’t have the look for me, but I bet if your old enough and had it home made you would love it. I’m only old enough for the round one.
my dad got liverwurst but it was yellowish and came in a ring like trail bologna.

you all are all old enough for potted meat , and spam. Was regular items for us but never gave it to my kids. Matter of fact my kids didn’t eat any of this only the triple decker peanut butter and jelly.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
Kind of surprised no cafeteria lunch bashing yet.

I think we were just happy to get something. Not a silver spoon era.
The cost some remember - wow 3Cent milk

Thanks for all the replies, this has been a nice break

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
hot lunch was 35 cents / milk was 3 cents
I graduated grade 8 in 1969.

grade 8 that was it?

I hated school, I remember The end of 6th grade saying
Thank God only 6 more years!
Like it was yesterday :)

Dave

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in elementary school, milk came in bottles and cost a penny. Chocolate milk was not offered in any of the school districts I was in. I brought a sack lunch 4 days a week, and was allowed to buy lunch the fifth day. My favorites were the hamburgers and fish sandwiches, and chicken-a-la-king over mashed potatoes. The "pizza" sucked - it was sauce and a little cheese baked into a slice of Wonder bread. I'm not making that up!

As for the sack lunches, my mom always picked what I was going to have, and it would be either thick liver sausage with Miracle Whip, Oscar Mayer bologna (one thin slice!) with Miracle Whip, or peanut butter and jelly. I didn't particularly care for any of them. But now, I love the thick liver sausage (Braunschweiger style), to eat plain, once in a great while as a treat. We also had fried Spam at home, which I love to this day (but I think Spam straight out of the can is gross).

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended Stonewall Jackson Elementary in Plant City, FL. Walked to school. I just google mapped it. .4 mile and 7 min. walk. I thought it was several miles and I never made it in 7 minutes. I dawdled as I went by the park. Can you imagine a 3rd to 6th grader crossing 2 of the busiest streets in town, through an alley, past a automotive shop, past a military surplus shop, walking by herself past a park nowadays? There was a "stream" running through the park with a culvert running under the road. I would stop on the bridge to see bits of okra floating past that came from a canning plant.

Don't remember much of a breakfast and not too many memories of sit down dinners at home. T.v. dinners. Didn't ever think we were going hungry but we were all pretty thin. I loved those school lunches. Meat and several sides. Dessert too. Must have been made by some good Southern cooks. They were always so nice. That's where I learned to put a crater in the middle of my mashed potatoes and fill it with the peas. I'd also spoon my chocolate pudding into my milk carton to make chocolate milk.

Don't remember much about junior high lunches.

In high school I would have a milkshake so I could save the rest of my lunch money.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
But eventually, my parents did decide to allow us to buy school lunch for one week during the school year - we got to choose the week. So my sister and I would look at the school menus for the upcoming week to make our choice. So we looked for weeks when the menus included things we wanted, Our favorites were spaghetti, hamburgers, french fries, And no yukky vegetables, like peas and cooked carrots. If we hit on something we liked for four out of the five days, that made it a winner selection for us.
My favorites were the hamburgers and fish sandwiches, and chicken-a-la-king over mashed potatoes. The "pizza" sucked - it was sauce and a little cheese baked into a slice of Wonder bread. I'm not making that up!
Ohhh - I forgot about fish sticks. That was one of the options we searched for on the school lunch menu when we selected our week. Another favorite was Salisbury steak.

So we looked for a week that had at least three of spaghetti, hamburger (preferably with fries), fish sticks, Salisbury steak, pizza. And the other two days were ok.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my elementary schools had a deep dish pizza that came in its own alum foil pan, individually-sized. I have a really distinct memory of them, and really liked it. I was only at that school until mid-way through 4th grade, so this was a loooooong time ago. I remember a chicken soup that I liked at one of my later public schools.

My boarding school actually had pretty good food. Friday nights were always the three Ps: pizza, potato chips, and Pepsi! It was the only time that there was ever soda on the premises, LOL! (There were always waaaay fewer students around for Friday dinners, between away sports meets and off-campus weekends.) Mostly what I remember there are the breakfasts, which were always great. The head of the kitchen, Ernie, is retiring this year after being there for something like 40 years....he mentored generation after generation of students. He was one of those gruff, hard-asses, never-give-you-a-break guys and was always, always, always, in your corner when it really mattered. (Note: we *all* rotated through a variety of kitchen duties every year, so EVERY SINGLE GRADUATE worked for Ernie at some point. Even Mo Bamba.) There is a 90% chance that my daughter will be attending the same school in the fall, and it kind of breaks my heart that she'll never meet Ernie. :(