• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

School cafeteria lunches, enjoy them? Or Hate them? What was your favorite / or worse thing?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
reminiscing during these times, Golden Coral responses prompted me to ask this one.
You either loved them or hated them.

I always enjoyed school cafeteria lunches and my favorite “ lunch lady “ just turned 92.
I still see her when I check her HVAC system.
We chat when I get done, and my favorite lunch memory was the big square NO BAKE Cookies.
Couple years ago she gave me her hand written Recipe for them. I will cherish this.

I liked all the food but a couple stand outs

Johnny Marzzetti
pizza
Hamburg bun meaty spaghetti sauce and mozzarella melted on top
No Bake
Apple crisp
and of coarse thanksgiving lunch

Yay - or Nay
What was your memory

Dave

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Pizza. Spaghetti Served by ice cream scoop. Indiv vanilla ice cream cups.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I took my lunch most days. As a treat I was allowed to buy lunch one a week. My favorite was hamburger day. My least favorite was pizza. For some reason it just looked disgusting to me. I didn't develop a liking for it until we made it in home ec and were expected to eat what we made. Found out it tasted much better than it looked. :D Anyway I remember one time I got the days mixed up and ended up buying my lunch on pizza day. The rule was you had to finish you lunch before you could leave the cafeteria. There was a kid in our class who would make deals. He'd eat your lunch for you if you also gave him the chocolate pudding. After that day I made very, very sure I knew exactly what the daily menu was before I decided to buy that day.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sweet 86 YO mother still talks about the sloppy Joe's that the "lunch ladies" made when she was in school. I found a recipe that is very close to what she remembers and every time I make it for her she comments that it reminds her of "good times".

Similarly, we had a wonderful cook in my sorority house. She each of us girls a "recipe" box of her favorite recipes when we graduated from college. So sweet. I still make her frosted sugar cookies to this day.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when I was in Jr High in Suburban Philadelphia we had a hoagie shop nearby. We had either 45 or 60 minutes for lunch (don't remember which) and were allowed to leave the campus. Those of us who didn't "brown bag" it were able to get to the hoagie shop and buy a hoagie or Philly Cheese Steak for lunch...

George

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My favorite thing was always pizza, but the ladies made a baked ham and cheese sandwich that was so good because the dough was a yeast dough they made themselves then put ham and cheddar in that bun. So delicious. I also liked the hamburger with their homemade buns. I always ate my lunch. The chocolate milk was always my choice over white milk. I also loved the ice cream cups.

I don't remember much about lunches. That was a long time ago. In junior high, we got to choose ala carte. You chose a side, an entree and milk. I remember lunch was .20. I ate lunch with my still-closest-friend every day, and she used to squeeze every bag of potato chips to get the one that had more in it. She did that with everything and still does. I took her to an appointment after her heart valve surgery, and we visited the cafeteria at the hospital for lunch. She once again was feeling everything and taking a long time to decide what she wanted. I was half done with lunch by the time she joined me at the table.

She would not do that today because she is very high risk for Covid-19 with her heart problems. She had two valve replacements after one didn't take. She is living on borrowed time. She turns 65 in August. She is such a dear, dear person. She had a son at the age of 46, and he just graduated from high school, so we went to his drive-by graduation.

geekette

Reaction score
the only school food I remember was in the dorm. There was a casserole that apparently only I liked - it had broccoli, hard boiled eggs and I don't know what else. I merely recall that it was really good at getting past hangovers.

We were brown baggers, so I would say that leftover meatloaf made my favorite sandwich. I'm not sure what the lunch ladies made, except the yeast rolls. Plenty of times I would get one of those just because fresh bread is a pleasure.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite was the hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes. And, the no bake cookies were really good too.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My favorite thing at our school cafeteria was the yeast rolls which they made from scratch every day. M-m-m wish I had one now!

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great topic, and I have a cool story to tell. I grew up in Virginia where historically there were schools for whites and schools for "colored" people. You get the point. As we merged the kids together, the schools kept their cafeteria, maintenance, and janitorial staffs in place. From grade 1-3 I attended what used to be a school for white kids. The food was pretty good. Years 4-6 I attended a school that used to be for "colored" students. The food was amazing. The ladies made everything from scratch including bread and rolls, baked goods, etc. Everything had flavor. I guess some of the african american southern "soul" influences made it to my school lunches. They let us have seconds too. After that I went to newer schools with integrated staffs and the food was just okay. I was pretty luck for those 3 years.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big day for seniors in high school was Friday's. We had real frish sticks, mashed potatoes, green peas, hot rolls make from scratch, desserts with vanilla ice cream and a carton of. milk. If you were a male athlete you had to order 3 to 5 extra fish sticks, an extra scoop,of mash potatoes and an extra carton of milk to be a part of the group.

We did not have pizza for lunch in high school. LOL

geekette

Reaction score
My favorite thing at our school cafeteria was the yeast rolls which they made from scratch every day. M-m-m wish I had one now!
It's like I can smell them now!

When I took my driver test to get my license, inspector had me parallel park right by the big Sunbeam factory. Oh man, I was so hungry smelling that fresh bread scent, it's good that I had only the Chevette to maneuver. Probably I would have failed if I'd had the station wagon with that distracting aroma...

I remember heading right home and making blueberry muffins.

geekette

Reaction score
..... We did not have pizza for lunch in high school. LOL

I would say we had something that they called pizza, but I wouldn't eat it. We made our own most every Sunday we were home.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's like I can smell them now!

When I took my driver test to get my license, inspector had me parallel park right by the big Sunbeam factory. Oh man, I was so hungry smelling that fresh bread scent, it's good that I had only the Chevette to maneuver. Probably I would have failed if I'd had the station wagon with that distracting aroma...

I remember heading right home and making blueberry muffins.
Wow, I had to parallel park to obtained my driving license in high school. Can high school students parallel park now.? LOL.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My parents were very frugal, so so cafeteria lunch was never an option. We got a penny each to buy a 1/2-pint of milk to have with our lunch.

But eventually, my parents did decide to allow us to buy school lunch for one week during the school year - we got to choose the week. So my sister and I would look at the school menus for the upcoming week to make our choice. So we looked for weeks when the menus included things we wanted, Our favorites were spaghetti, hamburgers, french fries, And no yukky vegetables, like peas and cooked carrots. If we hit on something we liked for four out of the five days, that made it a winner selection for us.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had to parallel park to obtained my driving license in high school. Can high school students parallel park now.? LOL.
Same with me. There were four posts set up marking the front and back of the parking space in the parking lot at the testing center.

If you failed, as I did, you still received partial credit if you make the proper maneuvers to start the parking effort, and did you make the proper corrections if you didn't get into the space successfully. And if you hit any of the poles you flunked that portion of the test entirely.

geekette

Reaction score
...And no yukky vegetables, like peas and cooked carrots.

I am still that way. I will throw carrots in with potroast, that's my limit. Oh, wait, pea pods in a stir fry.

There was a guy I was dating that tried to pass off carrot, pea, green bean mix as a sidedish. Just nuked the crap right out of the freezer bag. No seasoning, no nothing. No, that is casserole filler. I am always suspicious of menus showing "vegetable medley" and inquire before allowing it as a side dish.

I like the one week per year school lunch idea. I probably would have tried to play it like you did, too.

We were also frugal. I remember when my sister would make my lunch (thankfully that was rare), she would put Miracle Whip on both slices of bread and apply exactly one thin strip of Buddig lunch meat. I was lucky that my grade school was into "tradesies" so I could pawn that off for something better. That is actually how I found out about peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Mmm! But, that's also how I found out about peanut butter and butter sandwiches. ew, gross! why mess with the success that is peanut butter???

My time in grade school started with 3 cent milk. By end of high school it was a dime.

geekette

Reaction score
Same with me. There were four posts set up marking the front and back of the parking space in the parking lot at the testing center.

If you failed, as I did, you still received partial credit if you make the proper maneuvers to start the parking effort, and did you make the proper corrections if you didn't get into the space successfully. And if you hit any of the poles you flunked that portion of the test entirely.
My guy was lazy, no posts. He was in some kind of hurry, it made me nervous. I did the driving part and we cruised the streets until he saw somewhere for me to try. I can still see that massive bread sign overhead... that loaf continuing to slice itself... (the first big neon sign that ever really caught my attention)... the smiling girl ....

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Those were the days. You could not hit those poles back in the day.LOL

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I had to parallel park to get my license as well. When my dds (29 and 31 now) took their tests in California they did not need to parallel park. However, they had both been taught how to do it.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I'll drive around the block 40 times before I'll parallel park! Didn't have to do it to get my license in MO. :)

I remember cornbread and beans in elementary school. Yummy. Out here in Maine, I love the breakfasts at schools. The elementary school cook used to make cinnamon buns from scratch. I always wanted to be subbing in the school on those days! Leftovers went in the teacher's lounge!

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
For my three years of junior high school, I ate tuna salad and saltines nearly every day. So tasty!

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I took my lunch most days. As a treat I was allowed to buy lunch one a week. My favorite was hamburger day. My least favorite was pizza. For some reason it just looked disgusting to me. I didn't develop a liking for it until we made it in home ec and were expected to eat what we made. Found out it tasted much better than it looked. :D Anyway I remember one time I got the days mixed up and ended up buying my lunch on pizza day. The rule was you had to finish you lunch before you could leave the cafeteria. There was a kid in our class who would make deals. He'd eat your lunch for you if you also gave him the chocolate pudding. After that day I made very, very sure I knew exactly what the daily menu was before I decided to buy that day.

soy burgers :) I forgot about those
Loved them too