• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scholarship problems - need advice

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My DD's BF was offered a scholarship for his last year of college and law school. The law firm offered to pay the tuition and provide $10000/year for living expenses. So he acepted, transferred to the school they wanted him to go to (a private school with tuition much higher than he was paying), Moved to fort worth, rented a house etc. Well the law firm payed the tuition but now are having financial issues and have not given him the promised living expenses.

He does have the scholarship offer in writing but wonder if there is any recourse. He has taken on obligations for renting a property based on the promise of living expenses and it has put him in a bind. If they do not come through next semester he will not be able to afford the tuition - up to this point he has put himself through college.

The only thought I have is he may have a case to sue - but suing a law firm would be a losing proposition.

Any suggestions?

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
It's an unfortunate situation, but at least he has one semester's tuition paid. That's probably in the $10,000 range. I think I would take out a loan to pay for living expenses and the final semester.

He's so close that he should have no problem finishing. My daughter is in her first semester and already living off loans. We're both scared to think about the total by the time she's done.

Sheila

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take the loan. He can pay it off over a period of years. People get loans for cars, houses and other things but many seem to have problems with taking out a loan for one of the best paying investments in their future - a university/professional degree. If your son decides to sue,he may get black balled. I would advise against it.

inishbofin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make the best of it

He already received a FREE year of schooling; did they pay this semester of law school tuition? He should talk to the firm and see what they can do. If they are struggling and still paying most of his cost he should be grateful, not looking to sue. Why not review the terms of his contract with them and discuss what they can/will do for the balance of his education.