• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Saving 2020 HGVC Club points into 2021

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If people have paid to save points from 2020 to 2021 I would assume they can’t reverse that transaction?

Well that's suddenly an interesting question. They recently sent email (reflected in another thread), saying that points banked from 2019 are extended through 2021. However, the 2020 points currently still expire this year, but under discussion. If they decide to extend those as well (seems off that older points now have more life), this action will be moot.

Will they refund those who paid for something that would then be free?

Cheers.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Well that's suddenly an interesting question. They recently sent email (reflected in another thread), saying that points banked from 2019 are extended through 2021. However, the 2020 points currently still expire this year, but under discussion. If they decide to extend those as well (seems off that older points now have more life), this action will be moot.

Cheers.
Maybe HGVC waiting for everyone to buy autosave first? And will not offer refunds.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe HGVC waiting for everyone to buy autosave first? And will not offer refunds.

That was my thought: decide on April 1. But they've been true menches on so many things that I thought this unlikely.

Cheers.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
The quantity of 2019 points is a lot lower than 2020 point inventory. 2021 availability wouldn't have enough to meet the demand. I think HGVC wants people to use their 2020 points for the end of this year. I'll probably pay to autosave points.

HGVC should have extended 2019 points by a few months like bonus points to avoid the summer busy times. I wanted to book something july 4, 2021 week. :cautious::cool:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The quantity of 2019 points is a lot lower than 2020 point inventory. 2021 availability wouldn't have enough to meet the demand. I think HGVC wants people to use their 2020 points for the end of this year. I'll probably pay to autosave points.

HGVC should have extended 2019 points by a few months like bonus points to avoid the summer busy times. I wanted to book something july 4, 2021 week. :cautious::cool:

Actually, this makes sense.Use the 2020 this year and hopscotch and 2019 a year forward as their fewer with less impact. Hadn't thought of it that way :)

Cheers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Actually, this makes sense.Use the 2020 this year and hopscotch and 2019 a year forward as their fewer with less impact. Hadn't thought of it that way :)
The question is: will the system use saved 2019 points (that now expire at the end of 2021) first, before the regular 2020 points? :ponder: This may get tricky.

Kurt

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

I just enrolled in auto save for my 2020 points and as the confirmation page says, it’s a final transaction. I can’t see them rolling back already saved points. They can However decide to suspend any further Saving of points.

mogulman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting points...I too just received a confirmation of my saved points this morning,

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you Auto save it is NO longer at the end of the year, but is overnight, the day you sign up for auto save. It used to save on Dec 31st, but that is NO longer the case.

You can still borrow back any points you save.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I think I'll hold off to see what HGVC does, even if it ends up costing me a little more.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you Auto save it is NO longer at the end of the year, but is overnight, the day you sign up for auto save. It used to save on Dec 31st, but that is NO longer the case.

You can still borrow back any points you save.
I signed up for the Auto save yesterday, and currently the points are still listed at regular 2020 points. It therefore either seem to take the 24 hours or maybe its a manual process and they are sort of behind schedule.

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
I signed up for autosave last night and I received my autosave confirmation email earlier today. I don't have that many 2020 points to save at this point but I will once my June reservation gets cancelled. Strangely enough it says that the fee was $0.00 although when I did it I was asked for credit card information and my credit card shows a pending charge of $85. Will see which is correct.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I signed up for autosave last night and I received my autosave confirmation email earlier today. I don't have that many 2020 points to save at this point but I will once my June reservation gets cancelled. Strangely enough it says that the fee was $0.00 although when I did it I was asked for credit card information and my credit card shows a pending charge of $85. Will see which is correct.

The $85 is correct. I saw the same $0.00 fee. I've received the $85 charge :)

Be careful, though. The points will save now, and will not, by default, include any new points freed up by a future cancellation. You will have to call and, technically, there is an additional fee. I would expect them to waive it.

Cheers.

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
Follow up email today to say the rest of my 2020 points from my cancelled June reservation have now also been saved. Nothing further was required on my part. I did get charged the $85 on the original request.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow up email today to say the rest of my 2020 points from my cancelled June reservation have now also been saved. Nothing further was required on my part. I did get charged the $85 on the original request.

Does this mean that if you use auto save and then later on cancels a reservation which uses 2020 points which wasn’t saved the first time then those points are automatically saved when the reservation is cancelled?

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
Does this mean that if you use auto save and then later on cancels a reservation which uses 2020 points which wasn’t saved the first time then those points are automatically saved when the reservation is cancelled?
That is what happened in my situation. I had a 2020 reservation with 2020 points being used that was cancelled. I had previously autosaved my few remaining 2020 points on the assumption I would need to call and get the rest saved once I cancelled my 2020 reservation. But after I cancelled the 2020 reservation the 2020 points were saved automatically after a few days. Don't recall exactly how many days but it was within a week.

greenwich3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this looks like it’s going to go on for quite awhile, I’m going to wait to see if they automatically move unused 2020 points to 2021 for free. I don’t see how they can charge you anything to save them if their resorts aren’t even open to use your current points.

i am sure they are having meetings as we sit here trying to figure a way to get as many fees as possible. The longer they wait, the more fees they get before they change the rule as the word refund is not in their vocabulary. If you need to save your points to 2021, wait as long as you can.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you need to save your points to 2021, wait as long as you can.

I'll wait until they tell us that 2020 points are good thru March 31. 2021, or some such.
I have several placeholder bookings in 2021 (1-5-1/8), that I can change to use 'em up.

OTOH, if they don't extend 'em, I'll just use 'em for an RCI booking (w/o saving 'em first).

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this looks like it’s going to go on for quite awhile, I’m going to wait to see if they automatically move unused 2020 points to 2021 for free. I don’t see how they can charge you anything to save them if their resorts aren’t even open to use your current points.

i am sure they are having meetings as we sit here trying to figure a way to get as many fees as possible. The longer they wait, the more fees they get before they change the rule as the word refund is not in their vocabulary. If you need to save your points to 2021, wait as long as you can.

there is also the risk that they won’t extend 2020 for free maybe or even suspend saving until further notice as that would put too many points in the system and there aren’t enough rooms in 2021 to consume 2019, 2020 and 2021 points. Remember HGV have to follow the laws of timeshares and without knowing them I assume each state have their own set of and those with the strictest rules will be the one that will “fit” all.

So my guesstimate is that depended on how long this will last they will suspend saving (for those that haven’t done so already) and instead give you a free option to deposit to RCI.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
there is also the risk that they won’t extend 2020 for free maybe or even suspend saving until further notice as that would put too many points in the system and there aren’t enough rooms in 2021 to consume 2019, 2020 and 2021 points. Remember HGV have to follow the laws of timeshares and without knowing them I assume each state have their own set of and those with the strictest rules will be the one that will “fit” all.

So my guesstimate is that depended on how long this will last they will suspend saving (for those that haven’t done so already) and instead give you a free option to deposit to RCI.

It would also be a nice gesture if they let owners trade unused 2020 points for 2021 maint fees, at a more favorable rate than bonus points.

I’m a borrower so its mox nix to me, 2020 points are already used up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
It would also be a nice gesture if they let owners trade unused 2020 points for 2021 maint fees, at a more favorable rate than bonus points.

I’m a borrower so its mox nix to me, 2020 points are already used up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As of right now, I'm a borrower. When I cancel my summer trip, I will be a saver.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I'm a borrower. When I cancel my summer trip, I will be a saver.

As of right now, I'm a loser :)

Because of having contracts we are trying to sell, we have far more points than we can possibly use (COVID-19 aside), so we lose a fair bit every year. This year, we'll just lose more...sigh...

Cheers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

Same here. Had to cancel a 7000 point reservation so I’ll be saving into next year.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
As of right now, I'm a loser :)

Because of having contracts we are trying to sell, we have far more points than we can possibly use (COVID-19 aside), so we lose a fair bit every year. This year, we'll just lose more...sigh...

Cheers.

You are not a loser! You are a WINNER!

Seriously though, I understand your predicament. We were very, very close to pulling the trigger on the Club Regency that was in the Bargain Bin back in late February. We are currently running a deficit in 2021 (borrowing 2600 points for our trip this year) and we would be borrowing 400 points from 2022 for our 2021 vacation. Now, we have to save this year and probably next. Throw on the added 5000 from that Club Regency week and we would be overflowing with points. I’m sure we would find a way to use them, but we would be very busy next summer with travel. More than we are used to.